Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for an economical yet functional DVD system for my pilot for a good 6 months now. I just could not justify spending $1500 for the dealer/factory option.

Here are some of the options that I have considered

1) Apex PD-10 portable DVD player ($179 @ amazon).
Pros - cheap and dual functional
Cons - the speakers are teeny and useless in the car. No easy mounting option.

2) Audiovox 12 (maybe 10) inch LCD with builtin DVD player ($799 at bestbuy)
Pros - 12"!!! screen, wireless headphones included, builtin DVD and comes with harness for mounting. TV tuner!!
Cons - Price. Almost went for this until I happened on what I finally settled for.

Which is -
A 7.2" headrest monitor with universal headrest mounting brackets. And a Lasonic DVF-982 portable DVD player.

Why I opted for this set up?

- Price - $210 shipped for both screen and player at millionbuy.com
- 7.2 in screen mounted behind headrest without the need for destroying or buying a new headrest unit
- DVD player plays everything DVD, VCD, DVD-R, CDRW MP3etc etc
- and the clincher DVD unit has a FM audio transmitter that sends the audio signal that can be picked up with the FM tuner (just tune to 88.5MHz)

Basically a system that requires minimum installation and at a price I can justify. Also screen can be easily upgraded once better screens become more affordable.

I also plan to add a second and perhaps a third screen next year. And mount my PS2 under the seat too at some point in time. In the meantime I'm using the Atari 10-in-1 classic system and the Namco 5-in-1 for games. They are video game systems built directly into the joystick and they run on 4 AA batteries. Just plug the composite video and audio cable to the screen and walla! $18 at walmart.

Hope this info is of use to a pilot owner outhere.

Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had not see your picture yet but I can image there will be a lot of wire/bandage going on in your car. One thing that really stick out is the FM thing. I always think FM modulation is bad but FM transmitter is even worse. Think again if you really want to go this route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some wire but minimal. just the power to the lcd and dvd. so why is the transmitter bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
From my experience installing a CD changer, FM modulation will downgrade the sound from CD quality to FM broadcasting quality by emulate the frequency of a FM broadcasting. The difference is pretty obvious even for a regular listener.
The reason FM transmitter is even worse than FM modulator is because the modulator will physically hook up between the radio and antenna. It will cut off all the signals from the antenna when it send out its own signal so the radio only gets pure signal from the source (CD/DVD). Transmitter will just send out its own signal to the air and let your radio pick it up from the antenna with all the other signals from who knows where. Interference will further downgrade the quality of the sound.
If you really want to go portable, you should just get a blitz-safe adapter which will convert the CD changer port to a RCA audio port and any portable will do the job right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not going to worry about sound quality right now. The set-up is basically so that my 1 yr old will be entertained on long trips. If I could make him wear headphones I would but I dont think he would like having to strap on headphones. As for myself, yes I can tell the difference between CD and FM quality but I dont have a problem with it especially when driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts