Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I only drive ~ 12,000 miles each year and have been consistent on my mileage / maintenance using the MM. What has happened for the last 5 years is that I'll need to change the oil in November and May and it works out nice that I do it during Thanksgiving weekend and Memorial Day weekend with usually ~6,000 miles between changes. (I've got about 65,000 miles on the car).

Well this was pre-Covid. Now the car is not being driven that often and I'm only at 40% left on the MM. I know what you're going to say because I've read/seen/posted myself that I should just change my oil and NOT RESET the MM. Yes that's what I'm planning on doing because I'm planning on driving 4000 miles to Florida and back to NY soon HOWEVER....

my question is when I change my oil now and let the MM run down from 40% to 0% (hopefully around November so I can be back on schedule) but if I hit 0% on the MM in August and drive with the red message service needed on my screen until November when I change the oil again and reset the MM am I messing up the future schedule for other maintenance items (rear diff / transmission fluid / gear oil) by waiting to "reset" in November when I change the oil again?

I tried to go to on the infotainment system in the vehicle section to see what services I'm going to need but it doesn't show on the 2016 (unless I'm missing something or perhaps because I'm only at 40% right now). I think maybe it was only the 2019-2020 Pilots that now show the future services?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Is there a problem with changing the oil in August - if that's when the MM hits 0% - and then not changing it again until May, or even August, 2021 if the MM doesn't go to 0% before then?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there’s really no problem waiting until August and you make a good point that it may be until May the next go around. I thought it might be better changing the oil before making the long trip which allows me to stay on “my” schedule.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Old school here as I have a log book for each vehicle and keep track of all the maintenance done so there is no worry of missing anything.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My only concern would be driving with the red light on showing how past due the oil change is. Even though it isn't past due, it is stored in the car as such. Don't want any potential problems down the road if something were to be covered under warranty but they said it was neglected due to improper maintenance. I know it is a long shot, but I would just reset the oil change percentage and go from there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good old MM! I hate it. I do all of my own service. I don't care what it thinks or does. I don't claim to be smarter than Honda engineers but when they attempt to operate in secret without any documentation of their software logic, I don't trust it.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
No there’s really no problem waiting until August and you make a good point that it may be until May the next go around. I thought it might be better changing the oil before making the long trip which allows me to stay on “my” schedule.
Now, to be clear, you said that :
"Okay so I only drive ~ 12,000 miles each year and have been consistent on my mileage / maintenance using the MM. What has happened for the last 5 years is that I'll need to change the oil in November and May and it works out nice that I do it during Thanksgiving weekend and Memorial Day weekend with usually ~6,000 miles between changes. (I've got about 65,000 miles on the car).

Now the car is not being driven that often and I'm only at 40% left on the MM.

I'm planning on driving 4000 miles to Florida and back to NY soon "

Does that mean that the MM has been calling for oil changes about every 6,000 miles?
If so, and you're now at 40%, then based upon your past usage you have about 2,400 miles remaining before the next oil change would typically be due.
That means your next oil change would likely be due sometime in the middle of the 4,000 mile trip.
Highway miles usually run the oil life down at a slower rate, so it's not impossible that you might make it through the entire trip before the oil life reaches 0%.

If you'd rather make the trip on fresh oil, change it now - but don't reset the MM - and change it again when the oil life reaches 0%.

Or, you could keep changing the oil on your May and November schedule and just follow the MM for all of the other maintenance items.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My advice would be: Try to run your car for 30 minutes at least every 1 or 2 weeks, and drive 1-2 miles before turning it off. Then just do what your MM says to do.

If you put the car up and literally don't run it at all for more than a month, you'll want to change the oil before driving it again and maybe just do it again the next time the MM gets below 10%. This strategy would be <$100 and definitely won't hurt your car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you put the car up and literally don't run it at all for more than a month, you'll want to change the oil before driving it again

There is absolutely no reason what so ever to change oil in a vehicle just because it sat for a month or more!!!! You can actually let the car sit for a year or more and NOTHING would be wrong with the oil that would require you to change it before driving it. You might get a little bit of moisture in the oil but that will burn off quickly once the engine gets up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts