Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Walmart this morning and noticed a good deal on oil (I am very close to needing an oil change). It's also time to change the transmission fluid. I didn't anticipate buying my ATF at Walmart but I heard the voice of several members on here whispering in my ear, "try Valvoline MaxLife". I decided it was time to give it a try...I mean what do I have to lose?

So next weekend I will be changing my oil and trying VML. I will update with how the transmission feels, but I figured y'all should know your relentless encouragement finally beat me down.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Nice! And while I'm at Walmart, I usually get the SuperTech Brand, Full Syn Oil, either 5-20- the Gen 1,
or 0-20, the Gen 2!

I also use the Supertech oil filters- at every oil change too. Save$$ while not comprimising my motors.

Hell they even came out with a Full Syn oil 10-40- thats JASO labeled for motorcycles too! I think I already tried that too.
No problems.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! And while I'm at Walmart, I usually get the SuperTech Brand, Full Syn Oil, either 5-20- the Gen 1,
or 0-20, the Gen 2!

I also use the Supertech oil filters- at every oil change too. Save$$ while not comprimising my motors.

Hell they even came out with a Full Syn oil 10-40- thats JASO labeled for motorcycles too! I think I already tried that too.
No problems.
I’m sure that stuff works fine but I’m ok paying for a name. It’s cheap relative to the cost of an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I was at Walmart this morning and noticed a good deal on oil (I am very close to needing an oil change). It's also time to change the transmission fluid. I didn't anticipate buying my ATF at Walmart but I heard the voice of several members on here whispering in my ear, "try Valvoline MaxLife". I decided it was time to give it a try...I mean what do I have to lose?

So next weekend I will be changing my oil and trying VML. I will update with how the transmission feels, but I figured y'all should know your relentless encouragement finally beat me down.

View attachment 145759
Beat you down? (in my best presidential voice) C'mon man! We lifted you up! Now your transmission will be happy and live a longer life. You can thank us later. :giggle:

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
I'm still holding out. Not going to beat me down. DW-1 or bust.🤪

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts

View attachment 145759
Geez, the next thing you know, you will be buying Sumotomo tires. :LOL:

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
And thus spaketh Nail Grease who unto ye said:
I say to y'all that there will be more joy in Piloteers over one DW-1er converting, rather than over nine and ninety righteous Valvoline Maxlife ATFers who have no need of conversion.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
@Nail Grease promised me he’d buy me a wrecked Pilot to use as a donor for a new transmission if this fluid messes things up. I have nothing to lose!😂
1 drain and fill is only 32% of the total amount of ATF in your transmission. It be better to do at least 2. That will get you over 50%. 😁

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
So you have to do at least two drain and fills to be a true Maxlifer. I wasn't taking any chances and did three.
Hmmm...that may be pushing it.
Certainly one D&F is a benefit. It be very diluted with the old conventional fluid. After the first and driving 10 miles or so, getting the new fluid mixed in well, a 2nd D&F with MaxLife will help the product do what it says on the bottle. So I'd answer yes to you question. After a couple hundred miles (more less), a week, next month (no rule). I'd do a 3rd. Being of 80% ML, I'm more confident in going 30k between a D&F and having my transmission perform well in a hot summer or cold winter.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Hmmm...that may be pushing it.
You realize of course that you are going to have to go to Walmart and buy out their entire stock of Haines briefs to use as shop rags. The green ones seem to be the color of choice for some people.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
So you have to do at least two drain and fills to be a true Maxlifer. I wasn't taking any chances and did three.
One Maxlife D&F makes you eligible to wear the Cub Scout uniform. Two Maxlife D&Fs and you can don the Webelo uniform complete with nifty Hanes kerchief. Three or more and you are entitled to call yourself a true Maxlife Boy Scout and live by their motto, "Always be prepared," as long as you already have your next jug in the garage.

You earn your badges to be a Maxlife Eagle Scout by doing a D&F with every second oil change.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I’m sure that stuff works fine but I’m ok paying for a name. It’s cheap relative to the cost of an engine rebuild.
Supertech is made by Warren Oil. They specialize in making oils for store brands. As I recall it’s the same stuff with Amazon oil, as well as Costco’s Kirkland oil. All of which get great reviews on Bob is the Oil Guy and project farm did a review as well. I want to say it does better than some of the name brand oils even... it’s actually really good stuff. Not trying to convince you to start using it, but just pointing out that it’s actually more than “fine” and actually falls into the “good” category.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
You realize of course that you are going to have to go to Walmart and by out their entire stock of Haines briefs to use as shop rags. The green ones seem to be the color of choice for some people.
I heard they actually are white when purchased, but then after a while, turn green for some reason. Something to do with long wash intervals.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
One Maxlife D&F makes you eligible to wear the Cub Scout uniform. Two Maxlife D&Fs and you can don the Webelo uniform complete with nifty Hanes kerchief. Three or more and you are entitled to call yourself a true Maxlife Boy Scout and live by their motto, "Always be prepared," as long as you already have your next jug in the garage.

You earn your badges to be a Maxlife Eagle Scout by doing a D&F with every second oil change.
When do you get to learn the secret handshake?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts