Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Yakima Roof Rack info

19K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Birkieman 
#1 ·
just got off phone with Yakima customer svc. While their website has yet to indicate products to fit Pilot, the rep claims that they have determined that the "LowRider" has been confirmed to fit factory rack. He recommended 58" crossbars (if too long for taste, they can be cut with hacksaw & recapped). The Lowrider clamps on and off in seconds, (set of 4) list for about $115 (without bars & locks), and have an esthetically pleasing low profile to them. Can be viewed at www.yakima.com . I particularly like the feature and ease of clamping on and off, given the complaints that seem to be occuring with the factory accessory arrangement.
I believe the Thule site already lists their products for Pilots. I'm sort of committed to Yakima since I already have a system (for car) and have bike attachments for it. Will post feedback if and when I get setup for Pilot

#3 ·
purchased (4) Yakima lowriders for $110 locally. These attach to the factory Honda rack. Capacity 165 lbs. Note: Yakima recommends 58" crossbars. I used the 48" I had for my other car, and they just fit. Naturally 58" would have more overhang- they can easily be hacksawed and capped to desired length. I believe crossbars are about $40. Locks (if desired) are probably another $20, and accessories would also be additional. I went with Yakima since I already have accessories (i.e. bike holders).
It's a long way up to the roof. I'm certain that the trailer hitch type bike rack is most desirable due to accessability, however, I am towing a small boat on vaca the end of month and want to bring bikes. Plus these will be handy if ever need to transport a ladder, etc.
As I do not intend on leaving racks on permanently, the key point is that they install/ remove in under a minute. I did take a quick ride on the highway and noted a significant "Wind Howl" Will try picking up the Yakima "Windjammer" fairing ($10-$15) by month end to see if noise if reduced. Product info is at www.yakima.com and I did note some good online prices deals at www.ageebike.com

#6 ·
Wow, I like these Cross bars. You can put them when-ever you plan to use them and take them off, in seconds, when ever you don't want them.

Have you noticed any increase in wind noise with them on as compared off ? ( Ooops : you have already answered this in your post )

Thanks for the info.

KE

#8 ·
Wow cool ...

and I just ordered the crossbars ... anyone want to buy a pair of crossbars unused and unopen in the box ? I want these Yakimas ...

PrG

#10 ·
was surprised at how small the "windjammer" is- only about 8"-10" long. Suppose it needs to be small if carrying other stuff up there. Mounted it in center of crossbar and took a quick highway ride. Seems to minimize wind noise to a more reasonable level. Taking 150 mile highway ride next week for vaca with Yakima rack with mtn bike. Will post upon return if any surprises or excessive wind noise from rack.

#11 ·
I've got Yakima Low Riders on my Pilot, and have noticed the wind noise. I carry up to four bikes up there. Does the Windjammer fit with that many attachements?

Has anyone tried the other larger fairings? How well do they work?

:8:

#13 ·
Yakima Windjammer

I too have gone with the lowrider mounts w/ 58" cross bars. Right now I've got two of the steelhead mounts up there too. I'll post some pictures from Saturday afternoon as soon as they are developed. I think it looks great!

But to your question... The windjammer is only about 8" long and snaps right on the front cross bar. On Saturday I drove to the store w/out the windjammer, bought it, put it on in the parking lot and drove home. The difference in the wind noise was very dramatic. Before buying I was concerned that it wasn't going to do the trick, but it performs as advertised.

So, if you have an 8"+/- gap right in the center of your front cross bar and an extra $15 you should be just fine.

Another comment on the installation... The directions can be accurately described as cryptic at best. The key to reducing the noise level is to adjust the angle of the windjammer bringing the read end up past parrallel with the roof. Don't ask me why this helps, but it does. The instructions illustrate this, but it isn't exactly obvious what they are talking about.

I've got Yakima Low Riders on my Pilot, and have noticed the wind noise. I carry up to four bikes up there. Does the Windjammer fit with that many attachements?

#14 ·
Thanks! :D

I think I'll give the Windjammer a try.

#15 ·
mcannon is right on the money. (Sorry, I forgot to follow up my with my post-vacation trip post). Windjammer makes a dramatic difference. Measures exactly 8" and needs to be angled so as to deflect air over rear bar. Takes 5 seconds to install and is well worth the $15.
IMO, I don't think the "larger" fairings would look good on this vehicle- being located so far back from the point where windshield meets the roof. Aside from that, those things are a pain to get installed/ adjusted properly.

#16 ·
Yakima Roof Top Bike Racks

Over Labor Day I had the opportunity to try out three different bike racks from Yakima. I had already purchased the Low Rider towers and a set of 48" bars.

I borrowed four bike rack attachments from a couple friends. Here's what I found after spending a 4 day weekend with these racks:

1 Yakima Ankle Biter - Both tires held in the tray by straps, and an arm locks onto the peddle crank of the bike. This was the easiest to load. The ratchets on the tire straps were a little tough to undo. Held the bike firmly, and would work with all our bikes. It's a pretty wide unit, so would only fit four on top. I liked this one the best. :29:

2 Yakima Lock Jaw - Both tires are strapped into the tray, and the bottom tube of the bike is locked in by a triangle shaped arm. It was a little tough getting the clamps lined up and tightened on the bottom tube. After several uses, I finally got the hang of it. Nice rack. Holds the bikes very firmly. Won't work with bikes using oversized bottom tubes. I had to be careful not to pinch derailer cables running along the bottom tube. The front of the Lock Jaw is pretty wide, but I could fit up to four of them on top of the Pilot.

3 Yakima Steel Head - Remove front wheel, and clamp the forks to the rack. The back tire is held in the tray by straps. . Very easy to load the bike into the rack. Had to store the front tire inside the Pilot. Not a big deal since I put my son's 20" Mongoose in this one. Bike felt solid in the rack. It's the lightest, simplest, narrowest rack of the three. You could most likely fit six of these up there with a little handlebar adjusting. I just didn't like removing the wheel.

Our Pilot drove just fine with four bikes up top. There was a definite feeling of increased resistance, but I was mostly able to keep at 75 mph consistently with minimal downshifts on the hills. Loading and unloading was pretty easy, but then again I'm 6'5"! I did feel a higher center of gravity, but not uncomfortably. Wind noise was minimal, even without a fairing. The bars did not "hum" like they do when they're empty. I prefer this up-top setup over the trailer hitch mounted rack. On our last trip I used our old Rhode Gear 4-bike hitch mounted rack, and felt it weighed down the back of the Pilot too much. :)

A note about the Low Rider towers: They hold the cross bars very low, not leaving much room to reach under the rack to tighten things.

At this point, I'm considering the Ankle Biter. You don't have to remove the front wheel, and it'll work with a very wide variety of bikes.

Has anyone else used these, and have any input?

#17 ·
steellhead

used the Yakima Steelhead. Rock solid. Disadvantage is having to take off front wheel. Buddy of mine (who does mucho mtn biking), gave opinion that bike is not as stable on others- where you keep both wheels on.

#23 ·
Thanks for the pics, Mcannon! Very nice! :2:

It's interesting to see how small the Windjammer is. I had imagined it was larger than that.

Which model bike rack is that? The one I borrowed was older, and bulkier than yours.

I also like your white Pilot. It really looks sharp!

#24 ·
Yakima Info

Thanks for the complments! I can't take too much credit though. I think the engineers at Honda have most of the responsibility for how it looks.

I think the windjammer is kind of the "anti-fairing." It seems to have been designed to give the results of the larger fairing without the dominant appearance. I think it works quite well. Since I put it up there I really don't have a complaint about wind noise.

The basic rack consists of the Lowrider mounts (4) with 58" crossbars. The two bike trays are the steelhead model and of course the windjammer is there in front. Not pictured are two wheel forks that I can attach for the detached front wheels to sit on. I usually just attach them somewhere along the rear cross bar. They aren't necessary, but they do keep dirty wheels outside of the Pilot instead of inside.

#25 ·
Windjammer?

I don't see one. Aren't these the big things that go all the way actross and typically say Yakima or Thule across them? Thanks.

#26 ·
I believe the "windjammer" is the wing shaped device that slips over the bar. You can see it in the pictures he posted. It does say Yakima on still but it is much smaller than the larger faring I have on my set-up. I have never heard of anyone doing a head to head comparison but so far mine works well with very, very little interior noise.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.