Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently got Yakima Ridgeback bike rack installed on my 2019 Honda Pilot. I have a sloped driveway but not overly steep.
At the tail end of the driveway when taking car up or down the bike rack protector scrapes the ground every time by roughly 2-4 mm (picture attached, it’s only what seems to be a protector extension that scrapes).
Is Yakima just incompatible, I should get a different brand or there is another solution I am missing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If it bothers you that much I suggest considering the Honda tow hitch which tucks into the bumper and gives you another 2 inches or so of ground clearance. That's an expensive fix though, considering you've already got a hitch installed!

You may be able to find a super slim bike rack that doesn't scrape, but decent bet it'll cost more than the Honda hitch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it bothers you that much I suggest considering the Honda tow hitch which tucks into the bumper and gives you another 2 inches or so of ground clearance. That's an expensive fix though, considering you've already got a hitch installed!

View attachment 150965

You may be able to find a super slim bike rack that doesn't scrape, but decent bet it'll cost more than the Honda hitch!
Yeah, that’s a super expensive fix :( I would rather get one of these

I fear about the mechanical forces associated with such extensions though.
Not sure if anyone specifically had any experience with Yakima Ridgeback bike rack & Curt hitch.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That looks like a great option. 350 lb tongue capacity is perfect for a hitch mounted bike rack. I wouldn't hesitate to use that hitch extension for my bikes.

Curt even markets it as "not for towing" use. Brilliant!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Probably won't be as bad BUT that adapter goes into the receiver and then will stick out straight the same way. Maybr more sturdy and less expensive than the rack or hitch but might still hit.

That is one big reason many of us recommend the factory hitch.

One option is to get the factory hitch and then list the aftermarket up on classified to recoup some of the $$.

See my PICTURE HERE of factory hitch and my driveway apron.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
Sorry to hear it's scraping.

Depending on what else you use the hitch for you could always load and unload in the street to avoid the initial scrape out of the driveway.

If all else fails... sounds like it's time to buy a new house and move.

·
Registered
74 Posts
looks like you're using a 1" rack into a 2" receiver - that'll let the rack flap around like a fish on the beach. Get the right adapter and try that. The rack should have come with one, but if it didn't I'm sure you can buy one. That may fix the issue right there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks good apart from the fact that you're still using sticking a 1 1/4" square stick into a 2" square hole.

Buy one of these:

= no more flopping around.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
So this is the setup that finally worked for me, I got an extension Towever 84123 Trailer Hitch... Amazon.com: Towever 84123 Trailer Hitch Extender with 6.25" Drop/Rise, 9" Extension, Hitch Riser Solid Tube (GTW/TW 5000/500 LBS) : Automotive
& used the anti-rattle recommended by @aggrex

I would admit that it’s perhaps not a great setup & factory hitch would have been better but provided the investments this was the only feasible path. View attachment 151992

Your hitch should have come with the 2 inch adapter.

Call Yakima and have then send it.
I'm actually quite shocked for the price of that rack it wasn't already attached.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your hitch should have come with the 2 inch adapter.

Call Yakima and have then send it.
I'm actually quite shocked for the price of that rack it wasn't already attached.
That is what it looks like with the adapter for the Ridgeback, he's just using the 2nd hitch pin hole on the rack so the adapter is inserted farther inside and you can't see any of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what it looks like with the adapter for the Ridgeback, he's just using the 2nd hitch pin hole on the rack so the adapter is inserted farther inside and you can't see any of it.
Thanks @jgreg @Highspeedbail & @mattthemuppet Yakima ridgeback does comes with the 2 inch adapter attached (look at the attached picture) . It just inserted inside the hitch tube so not visible outside.

oh & worth mentioning I did tried some other alternative bike racks from Allen but just about everything I tried had a problem without the extension.

P.S.: Love this welcoming community of piloteers just wish I would have discovered it earlier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts