Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added the Yakima lowrider mounts with 58" crossbars as recommended by the Yakima fitment guide. I went this way because I wanted to occasionally use a SpaceCadet gear box and at other times use the rack for transport of several bicycles. The 58" crossbars stick out 6 inches on each side from the mounts. To me this looks tacky. Has anyone tried using 48" bars? When I measured it looked like they will fit and eliminate the protrusion on each side. Is there a reason the bars should stick out so far?:8:

·
Registered
385 Posts
yes, 48" will just fit. If you don't like the look of the 58" bars, just take a hacksaw to one end and replace the end cap... problem solved. If you don't need to full 58" for what you plan on carrying, my suggestion would be to cut bar at about 49"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modified Crossbars

Thanks for the response. I cut the bars down this morning and they look much better. I had thought about returning the bars and getting the shorter ones but it was a piece of cake to shorten the longer bars for a custom fit. I wonder why Yakima suggests using the longer bars. My gear box fits fine and it appears that I can get at least 3 bikes up top without a problem (without the box) and that's all I was really looking for in the first place.:2:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Modified Crossbars

Bulldog said:
. I wonder why Yakima suggests using the longer bars.
Well, I already owned the 48" bars when I bought the Pilot. They just barely fit. I have since bought a set of 58" bars (I believe they are the same price). With a cargo box/bag on top, I put my mtn bike on the "outside" of the brackets. Its also easier to get down from there.
I'm assuming Yakima wants to error on the longer end...and, as you've found out, it's quite simple to cut the bars down a bit to suit your preference.

·
Registered
620 Posts
:needpics:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wind Noise

I added the fairing and have noticed very little noise. I will try to add some pictures so you can see the Yakima mounts and fairing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11