Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added an XM tuner to my pilot. It is the Alpine add on unit and it uses the FM modulator. Performance did not exactly blow me away. There is some static, but not much, because it has to go through an FM radio channel. The quality of the stations is pretty good and there are several stations that offer commercial free programming. I chose the Alpine unit because it made the best match with the interior lighting. It doesn't match exactly, but was much closer than what pioneer kenwood and sony were offereing. I have the display unit taking up about 3/4 of the space in the storage slot just below the climate control unit. I think it could fit where the ashtray/cointray is but would require some extra moulding custom made.

Was it worth it? Well we will just have to see. It cost me $350 for everything, (the antenna was extra!) that price included the alpine xm radio, the terk antenna, the extra store 2 yr warranty, and installation. I had it done at Circuit City. It costs $15 for startup and $9.99/month for service. One warning to whoever is installing, the whole center console has to be removed to install it. Also insist on having the antenna installed inside the dash. That avoids the unsightly antenna on the roof and prevents any mishaps should you use your roofrack.

Just some info to those who are interested

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sounds great. Glad you like it. I think I read in another thread that the XM business is in trouble and about to go under due to a lack of subscribers. Have you heard anything like this?
Maybe the Christmas season will bring in a lot more subscribers to keep it going.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
XM Radio

supergeek74,

I added an XM radio (Pioneer XM903) + CD Changer (Alpine CHA-S634)a while back, and there are much better alternatives to modulation. I assume that you currently have the Alpine XMA-T200RF. The interface cable you need to eliminate modulation is the HON/ALP DMX B1D CD/XM by Blitzsafe. This dual interface will allow you to connect an Alpine CD Changer & Alpine XM Radio to your Pilot without FM Modulation. This part will cost approximately
$ 121.00. You may need an Alpine KCA-130B cable for each device also. These are available from Circuit City for about $ 9.99 each (they convert the AI-Net signal to M-Bus so your head unit will recognize it). If you buy an M-Bus Alpine CD Changer, then you won't need this additional cable for it, just the XM tuner.

BTW, I installed both in less than an hour, and the center console does NOT have to be removed...just one panel along the driver's side. The music from my XM is crystal clear. Even sounds better than the local FM stations in my area.

Try this thread!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey SteveLuman, thanks for the info. I am glad that you are enjoying your XM. I guess the installers at Circuit City did not know what they were doing cuz they said that the center console had to be removed. As for me, I am clueless:confused: when it comes to mechanical things.

On another note, my fiance and I are enjoying the XM radio although she likes the nature music channels:mblah: (coulda got her some CDs from one of those nature racks if I had known).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear you choose XM over Sirius. Being the national distributor for Sirius, I would have to toot my own horn. First, ALL MUSIC channels on Sirius are commercial free. The music channels are also indivually programmed. Whereas XM (owned by radio station giant, Clear Channel) often simply puts there FM stations on satellite. Who wants to hear a weather forecast about LA when you live in Memphis.

I choose a Kenwood KVT911DVD with TV tuner, Sirius, CD, touchscreen and teamed it up with a Kenwood navigation unit. For the price that Honda wanted for it's unit(s), I simply spent that money towards a better unit.

Anyone in the market for satellite radio? I will be glad to send you a non-biased comparsion on the two.

I spend more time in my Pilot that I do in my living room!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the cheapo Sony XM that I had in my old prelude. Still not installed in the Pilot. Installed might be a harsh word though as really it just sits anywhere and just uses the tape deck and cigarette lighter. Anyone out there tried to do that yet? I know I'll have to upgrade someday but gotta pay off the new big guy first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts