Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The concern about poor reception from the Pilot radio has caused me to start considering either XM Radio or SIRIUS.

I have visited both web sites and from those and what I've found so far here some of the differences are that Sirus is $3 a month more which is basically meaningless. It appears that Sirius is commercial free and XM is not?? From what I gather XM is available as OEM on the Pilot?? Does it replace the regular radio or is it an additional on such as adding a CD changer.

Can anyone compare the two services? Would you consider skipping the OEM XM and getting an aftermarket Sirius? Why?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
florida_guy said:
The concern about poor reception from the Pilot radio has caused me to start considering either XM Radio or SIRIUS.

I have visited both web sites and from those and what I've found so far here some of the differences are that Sirus is $3 a month more which is basically meaningless. It appears that Sirius is commercial free and XM is not?? From what I gather XM is available as OEM on the Pilot?? Does it replace the regular radio or is it an additional on such as adding a CD changer.

Can anyone compare the two services? Would you consider skipping the OEM XM and getting an aftermarket Sirius? Why?
It appears that the XM option for Honda will be an dealer add-on option that works in conjuction with the 2003 Head Unit. Depending on the 2004 model changes, XM may or may not be integrated with the '04 Head Unit. The '03 Head Unit is not capable of XM display, thus an XM display unit is needed. An XM tuner may also be intergrated into the 2004 Head Unit, but that is just speculation.

I enjoy my XM, but I can't speak on behalf of Sirius.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
395 Posts
XM vs Sirius

Compare the programming. When I installed my XM last fall, Sirius wasn't carrying Radio Disney (which was one of several reasons for my wanting satellite radio). Now I see that they are, though.

With the war going on, I've been alternating between Fox and CNN a lot; I see Sirius has Fox and CNN Headline news, but not CNN regular.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: XM vs Sirius

Len said:
Compare the programming. When I installed my XM last fall, Sirius wasn't carrying Radio Disney (which was one of several reasons for my wanting satellite radio). Now I see that they are, though.

With the war going on, I've been alternating between Fox and CNN a lot; I see Sirius has Fox and CNN Headline news, but not CNN regular.
The other thing I wonder about is the music channels. I have 24 commercial free digital music on cable. If I'm working around the house I will flip it on to the "Today's Country" station. If I leave it on long enough I will notice all the same songs coming on. It seems like they run one tape in an endless loop probably changing it once a month or so.

If satellite does the same thing that would get old on a long trip.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Well, I clicked to this thread to see which was better, XM or Sirius but the thread started and ended in 03 and I am sure a lot has changed since then.

How about a current discussion of SM vs. Sirius. The Car and Driver article link which is also old, mentioned that SM thought their satellites were loosing power quicker than anticipated. Are they in trouble now?

Sirius seems to have the better engineered plan but XM seems to have the market momentum.

Current comments and thoughts.

BTW - Have an 05 EX-L so not sure if either will hook up easily. Do have the PIE X3 with RCA inputs for two more devices besides my iPod.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with sirius because Howard Stern is coming in Jan'06. I'm a big Howard fan. Sirius also has every sport except MLB, I heard a rumor that MLB is coming in 2008. I would do a side by side comparison to see what programming is offered by XM vs SIRIUS and go with the one that offers more to your listening pleasures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently got my xmas present early, Sirius radio and installing it in the Pilot couldn't have been easier. The magnetic antenna goes right above the rear hatch, string cable under seat mats and then up the right side and plug in antenna and cig ligihter and you're good. Best Buy I think is running free deals for install. So this is one reason I'd avoid the OEM one and go aftermarket... second is portability though I'm disapopointed with the home kits. I get full strength in my driveway and zero right at a window overlooking that dirveway.

I've read about a $50 Terk antenna which is 5 star on Amazon, but don't feel right now of splurging on it.

I recommended Sirius, yes Stern is a factor, but I like Raw Dog comedy station, CNN news broadcast, and their music stations when I did free 3 day listens on both is better.

Now XM HQ is nearby in DC but I choose Sirius for the content, though XM has the better chipset and thus cooler devices (aka portable players, integrated antennas, etc) Sirius will be there soon.

About price both are around $10-$13 and XM and sirius both advertise no commericals for their homegrown stations, but for the CNN/ESPN/etc they switch to their ads when those feeds go to break.

sorry bout the rant, but in short i'd advise going portable and 3rd party.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts