Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Honda News. . .

Torrance, Calif. 08/28/2002

The available XM Satellite Radio delivers 100 channels of satellite radio programming that is accessible across the entire country 24 hours a day. With more than 136,000 subscribers as of June 30, 2002, XM Satellite Radio will be available October 1 on the Honda Accord, Pilot and Acura MDX.

:( Damn, that's what we get for buying the first batch!:8:

·
Registered
135 Posts
It should still be able to go on these pilots. I am getting mine tomorre and I can check but I think it is just the acc port.
Cause that is what mt Sirrus is plugged in to on my SI.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I added an XM radio to mine the week after I took my Pilot home. I love it! I have a Terk antenna on the side rear glass and a Pioneer controller sitting in the blank space below my A/C controls.

If I had known Honda was doing this, would I have waited the 3 extra months?

NAHHHHHH!!!!!
:2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Len - How Much is XM monthly?

What's the monthly cost of XM? It sounds like a really nice addition. Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
$10/month. Has a one time $15 activation charge.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
XM Installation

Len,

How easy was it to interface the XM Radio to the Pilot? Secondly, can it be installed with the RES? Thirdly, did you complete the installation yourself?

Thank You,

·
Registered
920 Posts
Does this mean that XM compatible radios will be standard equipment on the Pilot as of 10/1???

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does it work in Europe or is this only a US based Satellite?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: XM Installation

SteveLuman said:
How easy was it to interface the XM Radio to the Pilot? Secondly, can it be installed with the RES? Thirdly, did you complete the installation yourself?
I didn't do the installation, but it only took the installers an hour to do the job...and part of that was the antenna installation. I'm sure it will go with the RES.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If this is going to become a dealer installed option, perhaps we can start a group buy? I know my wife is interested in the XM radio.

I've held off because I really was'nt impressed with the single add-a XM's. And I don't want to change the headunit.:(

A group buy would be very cool!:29:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: WHAT IS XM RADIO???

baoloclamdong said:
Would somebody explain what is XM?What makes it so special?Is the service cancelable?Thanks.
XM radio (www.xmradio.com) is one of two satellite radio companies that broadcast radio channels in the US. The advantage is that you can get radio programs by satellite that you may not get in your local area, such as jazz, good oldies, news, world music, etc. XM has 100 separate radio "channels." You can listen to the same station from California to Virginia.

The downside is that the initial equipment costs almost $300, then the service itself is $10/month. It's cancellable, but then you have that equipment in your car that isn't doing anything.

The other company, by the way, is Sirius Satellite Radio.

·
Registered
465 Posts
if you don't like it...

My husband just uninstalled an XM radio in someone's Chevy truck so the person could put it in his new Escalade EXT (truck). He said it was easy to take out and reinstall. In fact, he had it out, in, and one installed in his own truck in just a few hours. He is going to put one in my Pilot this week.

Question:
I looked at the unit, and it looks small enough to fit in the not an ashtray. Anyone tried that yet? My husband hates to cut a dash when installing radios, but if it would fit in that space, it wouldn't really be a cut, and would be in a handy position.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the Pioneer controller and it's a little too big for the "not an ashtray" space. I put mine in the blank space under the a/c controls.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having compared both I think you will find as I did that XM offers more, has a larger subscriber base, has a lower monthly access and larger corporate support...

I have had XM in both vehicles now for a few months and love it. I have a 30+ miles one way commute and its nice to have the options.

The press release says dealer installed add on. My guess would be that Honda would not replace the entire head unit (radio) but rather an add on piece like the CD changer or Cassette on the LX model. If I am right that would mean those of you with RES or NAVI would not have a space to put the unit. (which would be kinda stupid on Honda’s part)

I bought my Pilot on Friday the 30th of August and went right from the dealer to have a new XM unit installed. I had the Pioneer FM Modulator unit in my Accord but decided to trade up on the Pilot and went with an Alpine FM modulator unit from Circuit City with a new Sony antenna that is much smaller than the Terk brand I had on the Accord. I paid $299 for the Alpine unit and $69 for the antenna. Installation was free under the promotion XM is running right now and since I have an existing unit I was able to get free activation and three months of free service. Additionally, the alpine unit has additional inputs so I can add extras later (like an aftermarket RES) and use the same input for sound.

We mounted the display in the storage area under the AC unit to the side and the unit came with a remote which I can tuck in right next to it. The illumination is not a perfect match but I don’t think it looks bad.

For those who question availability in Europe/Canada it looks like you may have to wait for expansion or another company to set up in your region. XM has two satellites orbiting the globe but broadcast only to the US, you may see some bleed over into bordering area of Canada. They are based out of Washington DC and broadcast mostly original programming (it’s a common misunderstanding that it is just a rebroadcast of regular radio). The selection of choices has something for everyone, news to classical to comedy to rock to talk – they are even rolling out a premium service from Playboy (yes that Playboy) in September (I really can’t figure that one out – I can hear it now “I just listen to it for the articles!”)

Anyway, a long winded post but hopefully that helps some of you on the fence.

- Jason

1 - 20 of 27 Posts