Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve,

I know you have talked about switching from the Pioneer to the Alpine and I'm wondering how deep you have looked into this. I've also considered the Alpine, but I'm curious about how this will work without using the FM modulator. If you look at this photo of the Alpine, it shows that the tuner only has one AI-Net output. I'm pretty sure this HAS to go to the RF modulator, even if you don't use RF simply because the remote display plugs into the RF modulator and not the tuner. The FM modulator does not have an AI-Net out, so the signal has nowhere to go but via RF. There are a few possibilities and I'm wondering if you have researched any of them.

1. The AI-Net input on the tuner also carries a signal output (afterall, it is just a bus).

2. The Blitzsafe connector is more of a "Y" connector so that you can connect the tuner output to the head unit and to the RF modulator.

3. You plug the tuner straight into the head unit via the Blitzsafe cable and use the same controls on the head unit as you would for a changer, but the channels show up as tracks and you don't have any text display (i.e. the remote display is not even used.)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was planning on using the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX ALP.1D with my Alpine XM receiver and Alpine CD changer. I wasn't going to use the FM modulator at all.

I haven't gotten all my parts yet so I can't say if this going to work or not.

I can always order the Blitzsafe and use the Pioneer XM tuner I have.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that the controller/display unit that you mount to your dash plugs into the FM modulator, not into the tuner. Therefore it would seem that you at least need to have the FM modulator in-line, even if you don't plan to use FM modulation. I'm hoping that the Blitzsafe adapter has some magic up it's sleeve. I can't find a picture of this particular adapter.

I also looked at the Delphi XM receiver and quickly dismissed it as an option. The controller is HUGE and is connected via a cradle that is roughly half the height of the controller itself and protrudes from the bottom. Great for features, but pretty obnoxious looking. I still have my heart set on the Alpine...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
xyzzy said:
Steve,

I know you have talked about switching from the Pioneer to the Alpine and I'm wondering how deep you have looked into this. I've also considered the Alpine, but I'm curious about how this will work without using the FM modulator. If you look at this photo of the Alpine, it shows that the tuner only has one AI-Net output. I'm pretty sure this HAS to go to the RF modulator, even if you don't use RF simply because the remote display plugs into the RF modulator and not the tuner. The FM modulator does not have an AI-Net out, so the signal has nowhere to go but via RF. There are a few possibilities and I'm wondering if you have researched any of them.

1. The AI-Net input on the tuner also carries a signal output (afterall, it is just a bus).

2. The Blitzsafe connector is more of a "Y" connector so that you can connect the tuner output to the head unit and to the RF modulator.

3. You plug the tuner straight into the head unit via the Blitzsafe cable and use the same controls on the head unit as you would for a changer, but the channels show up as tracks and you don't have any text display (i.e. the remote display is not even used.)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
This was the same issue that I was worried about. I emailed [email protected] ([email protected] @www.acuramdx.org) and asked him specifically if the Alpine unit would work with the Blitzsafe adapter. He told me that the only thing that I needed was the Blitzsafe HON/XM DMX ALP V.1D interface. He said that all connections were included on this interface. He said that I could also daisy-chain my Changer to the XM unit. This would keep me from purchasing a dual interface.

It would make it easier if I could see the interface, but I have had no luck with that. Everyone normally doesn't stock this part. I really can't understand the technical support people from Blitzsafe either. You almost need an interpreter. I will probably change my XM to Alpine within the next few weeks, so I will post the ordeal once it happens. LMK if you have any earlier success.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is the email I received from BlitzSafe when I asked about connecting the Alpine XMA-T200RF and Alpine CHA-S634 via the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX ALP.1D adapter

From BlitzSafe
Our interface plugs into the fm mod box input the alpine ai net cable
plugs into our adapter which also has RCA's, a male to mane RCA
cable is then run to our Honda interface and the Honda interface is
plugged into the Honda radio, press the cd button and you got it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
gksmith said:
Here is the email I received from BlitzSafe when I asked about connecting the Alpine XMA-T200RF and Alpine CHA-S634 via the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX ALP.1D adapter

From BlitzSafe
Now that makes sense now. It appears that the AI-Net cable from the XM unit goes to the Blitzsafe instead of the Modulator. An Alpine KCA-121B (Male Right Angle Ai-Net to Female RCA Cable) can be plugged into the other side of the interface and plugged into the Modulator input. (or you could run RCA cable from the interface to the Modulator). The display is still plugged into the Modulator.

This way the the control display still changes the channels and the audio is sent to the Head Unit via the interface.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I received my OEM CD changer install kit today and expect to get the OEM XM install kit tomorrow (delay due to UPS screw up).

XM Radio Attachment Kit - P/N 08B15-S9V-100
CD Changer Attachment Kit - P/N 08B26-S9V-100

I wanted these so I would have a clean install for the hardware.
The XM remote display is probably going to be surface mounted
to my "Not an Ashtray". I thought about getting an extra
"Not an Ashtray" and experiment with cutting out a mounting
hole - but haven't followed up yet.

This was my original thread on the subject - I decided to go with
the Alpine XM tuner so I could display the CD changer MP3
output on it.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3801

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does this mean I need to order the Blitzsafe adapter AND the KCA-121B? Also, who carries this particular Blitzsafe adapter. Didn't see it listed anywhere online.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
xyzzy said:
So does this mean I need to order the Blitzsafe adapter AND the KCA-121B? Also, who carries this particular Blitzsafe adapter. Didn't see it listed anywhere online.

Thanks guys!
I haven't seen the interface anywhere on the web. You would have to go to a local Blitzsafe dealer or order it directly from Blitzsafe. As far as the KCA-121B, you could probably use RCA to RCA cables instead.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll find out in the next day or so. By then I should have all my parts.

As far as the BlitzSafe adapter is concerned, I ordered it from LogJam Electronics. They don't show the Alpine adapter online - just the Pioneer one. I had to call and order it. I spoke with Jim Surface.

I also have the KCA-130B which I orginally was going to use with my Pioneer XM tuner and BlitzSafe adapter. Time will tell if I still need it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I may go ahead and connect the FM modulator up to the antenna so that I can use the RCA inputs for something or other. I have the AUX inputs for the RES unit - I suspect they may be FM modulated too. Anyway, the extra set on the FM modulator may come in handy sometime.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
gksmith said:
I think I may go ahead and connect the FM modulator up to the antenna so that I can use the RCA inputs for something or other. I have the AUX inputs for the RES unit - I suspect they may be FM modulated too. Anyway, the extra set on the FM modulator may come in handy sometime.
The AUX inputs for the RES are not modulated. They are direct RCA inputs to the wiring of the Head Unit. Let me know how your install goes.

I am currently working on a solution to my Cell Phone interface. I think I have figured out a way to modify it without my subwoofer staying on + I have to connect a bluetooth Kit while I am doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts