Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I read an announcement to the effect that an XM satellite radio option would be made available from Honda as of October 1st. This new dealer-installed option is supposed to be available for 2003 Accords and 2003 Pilots (and possibly some other models).

I recently checked a few of the Honda Accessories sites and could find no mention. :confused: Now that October 1st has come and gone, has anyone heard anything about this DIO?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might wanna save your dough. Both satellite radio operators are having $ troubles. XM's got just 200,000 subs (they need a million fast to break even) and Sirius has under 10,000.

And now 'regular' AM/FM radio has the OK to go digital, making their sound just as good.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Interface

Just use the correct interface cable and you can install an XM Radio + CD Changer to your Pilot without FM Modulation.....I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve,

Sounds cool. I'd like to do that to our Pilot. Exactly which interface cable did you use to connect the Pioneer XM controller directly to your Pilot's head unit? Does the Pilot have an AUX input? I assume the Pioneer has RCA pre-outs that you are connecting to the radio. Also, how do you access this AUX input?

Thanks.

MMM

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This thread may help

MMM,

I purchased an Alpine CHA-S634 6-disc CD Changer and connected it to my Pilot with a Blitzsafe HONDA/XM DMX PIO.1D Adapter and an Alpine KCA-130B (Ai-Net to MBus). This Blitzsafe adapter has dual connections: 1 for the Alpine CD Changer & 1 for a Pioneer XM Tuner Connection. This eliminates the need for any FM modulations.

The interface adapter has all the necessary plugs for power and connectivity for the Pioneer 903XM unit (IP-Bus Out cable and Power supply cable) as well as a plug for an Alpine CD Changer. The only additional plugs used are the ones coming from the XM antenna (I would recommend the Sony antenna) and the controller unit supplied with the Tuner.

All plugs are included for power and function, and you can toggle between the CD and either the Changer or XM Radio using the CD/CD Changer Function. If you want to go from the CD Changer to the XM or vice versa, you press the track up then track down very quickly.

I can also play CD's, CD-RW's, CD-R's and MP3's with my Changer.

If you just want to connect just an Alpine CD Changer, I would recommend the http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_cata...alp_dmxv1.html.

If you want to buy a Pioneer 903XM tuner, I would recommend Best Buy. They sold me a $ 199 unit for $ 149.99. Just ask for the price break.

If you can't find this interface at a local car stereo installation center, Blitzsafe will sell direct to you via AMEX or Money Order COD.

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Steve,

Can you give me a break down of price for the changer and what the adapters cost each. I have the Alpine xm system and would love to loop it through the deck and then have a changer added as well.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
HON/ALP DMX B1D CD/XM

Ken,

I assume that you currently have the Alpine XMA-T200RF. I just spoke with Blitzsafe a few minutes ago. The interface cable you need is the HON/ALP DMX B1D CD/XM. This dual interface will allow you to connect an Alpine CD Changer & Alpine XM Radio to your Pilot without FM Modulation. This part will cost approximately
$ 121.00. I would call Blitzsafe's technical support line @ (201) 569-5000 and order it direct from them (AMEX). You may need an Alpine KCA-130B cable for each device also. These are available from Circuit City for about $ 9.99 each (they convert the AI-Net signal to M-Bus so your head unit will recognize it). If you buy an M-Bus Alpine CD Changer, then you won't need this additional cable for it, just the XM tuner.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Installation off Units

Steve,

Thank you for the info. I am wondering how the installed your XM tuner. Mine was installed under the pass. seat. I see your CD Changer is installed under the seat, I would assume it is facing forward towards the dash. Were is the XM tuner located?

Ken

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Installation

Ken,

I used the OEM mounting kit for my changer, so it is under the driver's seat. The Pioneer tuner was small enough to ride below the headunit/center console section (almost on the floor). I just padded it well to prevent vibration. I can remove it easily from the driver's side floorboard if I need to in the future. I'm not sure how large the Alpine XM Tuner is, but you may be able to place it there also. I'll try to take a photo of the tuner location and post it.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
XM Tunner Unit

Steve, I am wondering about the unit that processes the signal and then sends it out to the controller device. I have my xm controller mounted on the dvd deck.

The receiver should be mounted under a seat or mounted under the dash.

Ken

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Mounting

Ken,

Here is where my XM Tuner is located. It is placed firmly but not mounted with screws. It does not rattle, and would be easy to remove. This is below the radio/AC Unit (picture with panel removed).

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
holstein said:
Might wanna save your dough. Both satellite radio operators are having $ troubles. XM's got just 200,000 subs (they need a million fast to break even) and Sirius has under 10,000.

And now 'regular' AM/FM radio has the OK to go digital, making their sound just as good.
They are struggling. They signed a deal with GM and now have XM as an available option for most (if not all) GM makes and some marques such as the Escalade have the XM included.:rolleyes:

My Alpine headunit on the S2000 is XM ready and I ahve waited to install the necessary unit because it's right arounf $200. On top of that, I need to pay XM an activation fee and of course, the monthly service fee. Just does'nt make a whole lot of sense to me right now. In addition to all of that, the antennas are absolutely hideous.:p :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish I would have known I could do that - my alpine unit is attached with a modulator. I wonder if the sound is better with a direct connection? Any comments from those of you with that set-up?

Jason

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Crisp sound

Jason,

The music from my XM is crystal clear. Even sounds better than the local FM stations in my area.

Steve

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Rather easy

Pat,

It was rather easy to connect the Changer. I will email you the instructions on how to install the Changer. Be careful when removing the audio panel. Once the panel is off, you will need a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the radio. Go ahead and unplug the entire head unit and remove it from the slot. I would place a small rag below the head unit to prevent scratching the dash. Plug in your interface (I used the Blitzsafe HONDA/XM DMX PIO.1D Adapter because I also installed a Pioneer 903XM Tuner) to the rear of the head unit and route it down behind the radio like the OEM instructions say. I then plugged in the Alpine KCA-130B (Ai-Net to MBus...only needed if the changer is AI-Net) cable to one side of the Blitzsafe interface. This cable then was routed around the center console as depicted on pages 4 and 5 to the changer. It is easier to plug the changer cable in before mounting the changer.

I used the CD Changer Attachment Kit (sold separately - P/N 08B26-S9V-100 from College Hills Honda) and installed the base brackets. I then installed the changer brackets to the changer and attached them to the base brackets. Secure all wires, replace the console cover and the driver's seat cover trim, and reinstall the head unit and all connections. Reconnect the negative battery cable and train the automatic feature on the driver's power window. Enjoy!!

If you just want to connect an Alpine CD Changer, buy the HON/ALP DMX V.1 from Blitzsafe or the HONIL from Peripheral Electronics as your interface.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: This thread may help

SteveLuman said:
MMM,

I purchased an Alpine CHA-S634 6-disc CD Changer and connected it to my Pilot with a Blitzsafe HONDA/XM DMX PIO.1D Adapter and an Alpine KCA-130B (Ai-Net to MBus). ...
If you just want to connect just an Alpine CD Changer, I would recommend the http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_cata...alp_dmxv1.html.
Steve,
You seem to be a expert on Alpine CHA-S634 installation. Crutchfield sells this unit and KCA-130B adapter for it. Will this be enough to install the unit into the Pilot or I will also need HON/ALP DMXV.1 adapter as well?

Thanks in advance,
Bob.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts