Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased XM Commader and Blitzsafe Aux adapter. I am ready to install this in my Pilot, but don't know where to get the power for this thing from. Any idea?

TIA

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I wish I could help you on the power part. I have a Delphi FM modulator in the dash, and later added the Blitzsafe adapter for my Roady. Best Buy installed my modulator, and I didn't see what they tapped for power.

For pics to help you remove the head unit and lower center bezel, check out this thread. Looking forward to pics when you're done.:p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check this out!

Guys, I found this wiring harness on crutchfield.com it's called "Honda/Acura Receiver Wire Harness". Here is a direct link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-u8BUi3LN2Wh/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=103000&I=120701721&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Do you think this will work in addition to the blitzsafe aux adapter? This has cables for power. I am not sure what kind of connectors are on the back on the factory reciever on Pilot. According to crutchfield, this works with Pilot's head unit.

BTW, jay and AL904a, very nice and clean install.

AL904a, how do you have the commander installed in the empty bezel? Did you use double sided tape or a custom mount? Could you please provide some details, I really like your setup, and would like to do it the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
PilotOwner said:
Hello All,

I just purchased XM Commader and Blitzsafe Aux adapter. I am ready to install this in my Pilot, but don't know where to get the power for this thing from. Any idea?

TIA
How many wires for power, ignition, etc. are there?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: check this out!

PilotOwner said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
I am not sure what kind of connectors are on the back on the factory reciever on Pilot.
[ S N I P P E D ]
This is a drawing of what the back of the factory radio head unit looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: check this out!

PilotOwner said:
AL904a, how do you have the commander installed in the empty bezel? Did you use double sided tape or a custom mount? Could you please provide some details, I really like your setup, and would like to do it the same.

Thanks!
I have to confess that I don't know how my installer mounted it. I know he didn't use the mounting bracket that came with the Commander nor did he use a custom mount. I will give him a call and ask him what he used.

BTW, if anybody in the greater Jacksonville area wants the name/number of a great installer, let me know. I have used him to install professional-install cellphone kits, CB radio, Satellite Radios, etc. on several different vehicles. He is great! (and reasonable.)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Three

PilotOwner said:
There are three wires: +ve, ACC and Ground.

Thanks
Pilot Owner,

You can purchase the Metra T-Harness (Part # 60-1721) from your local distributor. This T-Harness plugs into factory radio and harness giving a separate constant power, switched power, and ground for optional electronics. It is similar to
, but it has the 20-pin connectors for the Pilot's Head Unit. Just unplug the 20-pin connector from the Head Unit, connect the T-Harness in line and plug the other end of the Harness into the Head Unit. The three (3) wires coming off the T-Harness will plug directly to the three (3) XM wires.

The product is not listed on their website (or catalog, but I spoke to someone with Metra Technical Support today who said that the part is available through its local distributors.

Call Metra National @ 800.221.0932 if you are not sure who your local distributor for Metra wiring is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,

Thanks so much for the info. Actually, I bought two metra harnesses from my local installer, part numbers 70-1721 and 71-1721. These are basically the male and female harnesses and you have to connect the wires in between. It creates a similar cable as you mentioned. I got it all connected and the commander works perfectly with blitzsafe adapter except ...... the steering wheel controls for the head unit don't work at all!

Well, I am going to call my local installer and see if they have the cable you mentioned, may be this one has the steering wheel connections.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
PilotOwner said:
Steve,

Thanks so much for the info. Actually, I bought two metra harnesses from my local installer, part numbers 70-1721 and 71-1721. These are basically the male and female harnesses and you have to connect the wires in between. It creates a similar cable as you mentioned. I got it all connected and the commander works perfectly with blitzsafe adapter except ...... the steering wheel controls for the head unit don't work at all!

Well, I am going to call my local installer and see if they have the cable you mentioned, may be this one has the steering wheel connections.
I doubt very seriously that you will be able to use the Steering Wheel Controls with your Commander.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
SteveLuman said:
I doubt very seriously that you will be able to use the Steering Wheel Controls with your Commander.
I'm confused. :confused: Maybe I just don't understand enough about electrical stuff, or understand what's meant by not being able to use the steering wheel controls.

The steering wheel volume control or device selection worked with my SkyFi and FM modulator, with the Roady and FM modulator, and now with the Roady, FM modulator for power only, and Blitzsafe Aux in. But that's volume control (or device selection only). I change XM channels on the Roady itself.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
PilotOwner said:
Steve,

Do you mean that you got it all connected, and the steering wheel controls completely quit working? :confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Steve:
Please confirm. Wit the harness you are recommending I will be able to wire up a XM Roadie for power and them use my PIE for RCA ins? Will I stil have Steering wheel control of source selection and volume?
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The steering wheel controls completely quit working with the harness that I used, I can't even control volume or select devices. I am sure it is the problem with the harness that I used, I will find out if the wheel controls would work with the harness Steve recommended.

I understand that I can't change stations or presets on commander using steering wheel controls, I was referring to the volume and device selection for the head unit. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Let me clarify. When I said that I didn't think that you would be able to use the Steering Wheel Controls for XM, I meant for changing stations. You should be able to still use the Volume Up/Down & Source Selections with the Steering Wheel Controls. It works fine for my Pioneer XM unit as well as the Roady, Alpine, etc.

The Steering Wheel Controls should still work with the Metra 60-1721. All that this T-Harness does is allow you to use the power, ignition & ground of the Head Unit without having to splice into the OEM wiring or run to the fuse box.

I would check your wiring between the 2 harnesses and ensure that all wires are connected properly or use the 60-1721.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
PilotOwner said:
The steering wheel controls completely quit working with the harness that I used, I can't even control volume or select devices. I am sure it is the problem with the harness that I used, I will find out if the wheel controls would work with the harness Steve recommended.

I understand that I can't change stations or presets on commander using steering wheel controls, I was referring to the volume and device selection for the head unit. I'll let you know what I find out.
Ok, I understand now. I hope you get it worked out. Keep us informed.:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just confirmed with Metra that part number 60-1721 will keep all the steering wheel controls for the factory head unit. They don't sell it directly so I will have to special order it through a dealer.

I then called my local installer, he confirmed that the 70-1721 and 71-1721 combination that I am using now cannot be used with steering wheel controls. They told me that it will take them a few weeks to get the cable from Metra.

Any ideas where to get it sooner? I called a few other places, they have never heard of this part number.

Steve, are you using this harness in your vehicle now? If so, where did you get it from?

TIA

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
PilotOwner said:
Any ideas where to get it sooner? I called a few other places, they have never heard of this part number.

Steve, are you using this harness in your vehicle now? If so, where did you get it from?

TIA
When I spoke to Metra, he pulled up the part # on his computer and said he had 7 in stock. They have never heard of the part # because it isn't in their catalog or website.

I have the Pioneer XM Unit which gets all power from the Blitzsafe interface. I do use a T-Harness on my Cellular Interface (Runs sound through front 2 speakers) which is made by Soundlinx.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts