Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I come from the MDX side of the fence but in case some of you haven’t heard, Xenon Depot is having a Group Buy on the Philips Ballasts/Phillips Bulbs 4100K, 5000K, and 6000K HID’s over in the Acuramdx.org forums. You can read up on the details here.

___Since I am a participant in the Group Buy I am self promoting just in case anyone were to ask :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
725 Posts
Great Prices

Hey everyone,

If you haven't checked out this thread - you should.

The price is pretty damn good compared to what I've seen in the past.

I haven't purchased one yet though, gotta try and get the wife to buy in on it.

PILOTInginCO
Sagebrush Pear-EX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi PILOTinginCO:

___I should have mentioned the various color HID kit prices right off the bat. Sorry about that. As for the convincing, just tell her it’s for the safety of the children and herself. At least that is what I did … after the fact of course ;)

___For everyone else, the following prices are the best I have seen for a Plug and Play HID kit for our X’s and Pilots vs. non Philips Ballasts or Bulbs, or the improperly based 9006’s etc. that you see with many other kits or worse.
  • 4100K: $399.00 + $20.00 shipping
  • 5000K: $414.00 + $20.00 shipping
  • 6000K: $499.00 + $20.00 shipping
___I only linked the 4100K’s in my first post but if you were to choose the more blue hued 5000 or even deeper 6000K solutions, the prices are as shown.

___To get you started, the 4100K’s are about the brightest and most naturally white you can buy. They will have a slightly bluish hue after ~ 100 hours of use but will not have a Beemer/Merc hue until you are in the 5000K + range. As you go beyond the 4100 to 4300K color range, you begin to lose lumen output (brightness) so keep that in mind when you order. Also remember the reason for the bluish tint when viewed off center on many of the Lux OEM’s is not because of the color range as they are using 4100 and 4300K’s themselves but because of the projector type assembly’s the HID’s are housed in. The blue hue comes from a Prism like affect those projector assemblies produce. At least that is the way it was explained to me.

___Lastly, HID’s when properly installed should last far beyond the life of your Pilot and more importantly, well beyond the life of any Halogen. Once ignited, only draw ~ 35 W with ~ 3X the light output vs. the 50 + W of a std. Halogen setup in our X’s and Pilot’s.

___Please feel free to read all about the many details of HID’s from one of the literally tens to hundreds of threads on them over at the AcuraMDX.org forums. Here is a monster of a read to get you started: XenonDepot Philips HID Group Buy.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Any chance having XenonDepot confirm on this thread that application for MDX is identical for Pilot?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Worm you are correct......the 9006 are a single low beam bulb, which is used in the MDX. The Pilot's utilize the H4 bulb which is more expensive since it's dual (low/high beam). I currently have the Philips Kit in my Integra and am pleased with it, but in my opinon, the CATZ is a higher quality product. For more info about the difference between CATZ and Philips, go to

www.visualdynamics.ca

Go Under Resources>CAtZ Difference and it will tell you the difference between CATZ and the rest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All:

___The Pilot’s H4’s would cost as follows if they are a plug and play fitment:
  • 4100K: $469.00 + $20.00 shipping
  • 5000K: $484.00 + $20.00 shipping
  • 6000K: $549.00 + $20.00 shipping
___I posted some questions into the AcuraMDX.org forums in regards to Xenon Depot’s H4’s for the Pilot as well as CATZ making some unscrupulous statements in their advertising versus other HID kits. Xenon Depot should respond starting here.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Xcel,

Thanks for your input and I read your post on the MDX board. I in no way want to sound biased or convince people that CATZ is the best way to go, it's their decision, that's why I have them read the website for more info......your comments of the website being unscrupulous is a little harsh don't you think? It's one guys opinion about the product, and he's a proven guy on other honda boards, since he's sold the Philips kit before and now has switched to the CATZ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi EpicPilot:

___No offense meant.

___I was looking at the CATZ page and they stated 1 ppm failure. For a HID kit? I have a hard time believing they have sold anywhere near 1E06 kits let alone have a failure rate that small. An ISO cert at that level may mean achieving those rates is possible but the same could probably be said of the Philips based Ballasts and bulbs? I would expect a much much higher failure rate from broken parts during shipment than a Xenon Depot or CATZ kit failing because of a defect in M&W.

___CATZ mentions using HQ high voltage, high temperature, silicon insulated leads vs. the others Hardware store style wires and leads with no indication of … The Xenon Depot HID kit is made of OEM grade material that has been DOT approved. I don’t know which is better but I know for a fact that CATZ is stretching the truth by more than an inch in this case.

___The Philips rebased Xenon bulbs from the Xenon Depot kit are supposedly built in Germany with the kit being packaged in Taiwan vs. the GE/Osram rebased bulbs being rebased in Japan? I don’t know that there is a difference but CATZ sure is trying to make me believe there is?

___As for OEM use, I believe Philips is the std. of choice for most OEM’s. One key weatherproof connectors … Xenon Depot’s kit uses the same. Igniter and Inverter. Philips ballasts and bulbs are the std. of the industry so saying they are any less reliable is pushing the “I Believe” button a bit hard. As for the protection circuitry, given the Xenon Depot kits use Philips ballasts, Philips rebased bulbs, and are the same ballasts as those in many if not most HID equipped luxury automobiles; I would say there has to be some darn good protection built in as well. The question arises as to how much protection? I haven’t a clue but I don’t think Merc’s and Beemers are equipped with failure prone Philips based lighting systems?

___I also want to mention that HID kits are not entirely legal given the much higher output. Xenon Depot mentions this up front whereas I didn’t see CATZ make mention of this in either the FAQ or the “Difference” page?

___And the statements that really raise the hair on the back of my neck. Philips is not warranting the Xenon Depot kits. Xenon Depot is. Who warranties the CATZ kit? GE, Osram, and Matsu****a? No, CATZ is??? Here is the Xenon Depot warranty:
Our XENON HID lighting kits are all covered by a one-year limited warranty against manufacturer defects, in which a manufacturer-defective part, in the kit and within the warranty period will be replaced at no additional charge.

The warranty is void if the cause of damage or failure is due to abuse, neglect, improper installation, use other than the intended use or application, accidents, natural disasters, or acts of God.

All bulbs are tested and burned in by the manufacturer prior to delivery. Burst / exploded HID bulbs are not covered by warranty.
___The CATZ carry the following:
Ignitor, Inverter, and HID burner carry a 1 yr. warranty against manufacture defects.
___I don’t see much of a difference here but CATZ is making some very misleading statements to the effect that they offer a better warranty or at least that the “others” are offering something less which in the case of Xenon Depot is far from the truth?

___Xenon Depot has supplied many members of the MDX forum with HQ HID kits in the past and have received rave reviews whereas I am still researching the CATZ kit. I do hope to hear even more from Xenon Depot in regards to these questions in the very near future but the CATZ’ “Difference” page is making some rather bold statements about being a better overall kit with a lot of spin. Than again, maybe they are? I am hoping to hear of Pilot compatibility and when I do, I will post back to this forum as well.

___To finish off, I am trying to get 10 orders in so I can receive my own Xenon Depot HID kit. In other words, I do have a small bias. Now if only CATZ were to offer a similar Group Buy … that would make this a very interesting horse race, wouldn’t it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Xcel.....hahaha....it seems you have done your research.....and that's good....I have the Philips system on my integra, but it had to be modified a little.....(note: the integra uses the 9006). But like I said, this is the guy's opinion after selling the CATZ and Philips systems. In terms of a group buy situation........I was trying to host a CATZ group buy.....of both the H4 and 9006......I have finally gotten the group buy prices and will post them.......in terms of piloteers....it doesn't seem like there is an overwhelming response although it looks like in the MDX forum, there are some interested people.

BTW: In my opinion, I think that the warranties are the same......the Xenon one doesn't really cover the bulb, cause they would attribute any defect on it to neglect and abuse or natural act of god...it's hard for us consumers to prove that it was a manufacturer defect. So basically you are covered for the ignitor and ballast.....from it malfunctioning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All:

___The Xenon Depot H4 kit will fit the Honda Pilot but I don’t know of anyone that has installed one in a Pilot directly just yet? I am linking an H4 kit being installed into a Honda EP Hatch (a Civic of some kind?) in a step by step photo gallery if that helps? You can see many more Xenon Depot installs in the Xenon Depot Photo Gallery as well …

___EpicPilot, the XenonDepot HID conversion kit will come with a 1 year warranty that covers both the bulbs and ballasts against any manufacturer defects. This is a quote from Xenon Depot over in the MDX forum.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow thanks for the link. Prices are quite cheap. I devoured both xenondepot's site and visual dynamics. In xenondepot's faq regarding leaglity they state:
"NO XENON HID lighting system available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes."
Where is the BS meter? This really makes me question their business ethics...I mean they knowingly sell you an hid kit which they are well aware will be used on the street and then put this statement on their site :32: . Nonetheless, I e-mailed xenondepot regarding where their xenon bulbs are custom molded and if they are true philips bulbs. They have yet to reply but if it turns out that they are not made in taiwan you can count me in just because they are cheaper than catz and I am a cheap bastard :D .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the 6000k xenondepot kit and is a great quality kit (h4)

I also have the kit for sale (due to lack of employment) if anyone is interested in a used kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts