Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya-
I'm having a terrible time deciding whether to buy a 2019 Pilot or Highlander. For those of you that own a 2019 Pilot, would you buy the car again if you had to do it over again? What are the problems you've had so far? Thanks for any info you can give me. TK McGraw Ohio City, Colorado

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Heya-
I'm having a terrible time deciding whether to buy a 2019 Pilot or Highlander. For those of you that own a 2019 Pilot, would you buy the car again if you had to do it over again? What are the problems you've had so far? Thanks for any info you can give me. TK McGraw Ohio City, Colorado
Seems Honda was ironing out some of their 3rd gen problems by 2019. I'd check for any recalls or TSBs that may apply to this year model to see if they have been performed. The LX model will have the 6-speed transmission. Make sure the fluid looks new and clean before purchasing. If you decide to purchase, I would drain and fill the ATF every 3rd oil change. Clean ATF is imperative for the 6-speed. I also would not buy this vehicle without planning to disable the VCM. I use S-VCM. This device keeps the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How important is it for the 3rd row to comfortably seat an adult? For me, that helped me make up my mind between pilot and anything else comparably sized/priced, including the highlander.

I have a 2016 pilot. Bought used in 2018 with about 10,000 miles on it. I've had it three years and am getting close to 36,000 miles now. I have no complaints and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know you asked specifically about 2019 Pilots, but I’ll chime in as the owner of a 2016 Pilot. If you need the space in the 3rd row of the Pilot is significantly larger than the Highlander.
The 19 will have CarPlay and Android Auto, but I don’t know that Honda truly addressed the issues relating to rev hunting, poor shift quality of the transmissions, and refining the Sensing features.
I don’t feel like our Pilot will make it too far past the end of our extended warranty 120k mileage without significant cost to repair something (probably the transmission and/or motor mounts).
I feel like Honda has made and makes some great vehicles (such as our previous cars including 93 Civic, 09 Fit and CRV, and 20 Insight), but I feel the 16 Pilot is like my 02 Civic and 13 Accord in that they are pretty mediocre vehicles in general with the Pilot having had a few unHondalike problems including the rev hunting, occasional hard transmission shifting, primitive Sensing package, and needing increased care including frequent changing of transmission fluid, people advocating the use of a VCM disabler to decrease the rev hunting, etc. that make me feel like it‘s a lot more work than it’s worth to me.
I would suggest if you need the space but do not require 4wd, look at the Sienna and Odyssey vans. If you need 4wd, get a used Lexus RX or GX or attempt to find a Sienna 4wd/awd. To me, both the Pilot and Highlander (and the RX) are compromises in that they are really vans that don’t look like vans but don’t have the utility of vans, and both are less capable all around although ride slightly better than a true SUV like 4 Runner or GX.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
70 Posts
Heya-

I have a 2019 EXL AWD and would buy it again in the heartbeat. i just added the S-VCM like what NailGrease had suggested and it is night and day. Toyota's has issues too. I've owned Toyotas since I started driving and in 91 bought a 87 civic wagon. it was almost bulletproof car and drove that car with more than 300K miles. I still have my 71 and 74 Corolla and they are running driving it around on weekends for errand

Just think that all of car manufacturers are making their car susceptible to breaking down because of government mandated safety features that makes the drivers more stupider and dumber. Take those electronics out of equation and the car will run for years as long as you change the fluids as scheduled. The reason why I opted for the EXL is due to 6 speed tranny that still have a shifter. One less electronic to worry about in the future.

The Pilot has more leg room than Highlander with 3rd row. I am not fond of Toyota fugly design anyway as they seems to design their cars in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
These are not really comparable vehicles. IMO, there are two categories of 3 row crossovers, the kid-only and the adult-capable. The Highlander is in the former with the CX-9, Sorrento, etc. while the Pilot is in the latter with the Atlas, Traverse, etc.

I have been on the forum for 4 years now. When I first joined I heard a lot of complaints about the 3rd gen '16 and '17 models. Not much in '18 and I've heard almost no complaints from '19 and up so I feel that Honda (as with most manufacturers) had some issues in the first model year or so and got them sorted. I would not hesitate to get a '19+ Pilot if that was what we wanted at the time.

Also, don't believe the "Highlander is the best vehicle ever made" talk you hear on this forum. I'm sure the same talk is done over there about the Pilot and they have their own issues. The only true "best vehicle ever made" is a Landcruiser, no doubt about it.

Reactions: hexenbeist65

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
70 Posts
Also, don't believe the "Highlander is the best vehicle ever made" talk you hear on this forum. I'm sure the same talk is done over there about the Pilot and they have their own issues. The only true "best vehicle ever made" is a Landcruiser, no doubt about it.

I agree with you with the Land Cruiser specially the early 80s up to mid 90s model. Toyota started being greedy by making it a luxury car by redesigning it in 96 🤮

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
These are not really comparable vehicles. IMO, there are two categories of 3 row crossovers, the kid-only and the adult-capable. The Highlander is in the former with the CX-9, Sorrento, etc. while the Pilot is in the latter with the Atlas, Traverse, etc.

I have been on the forum for 4 years now. When I first joined I heard a lot of complaints about the 3rd gen '16 and '17 models. Not much in '18 and I've heard almost no complaints from '19 and up so I feel that Honda (as with most manufacturers) had some issues in the first model year or so and got them sorted. I would not hesitate to get a '19+ Pilot if that was what we wanted at the time.

What about an Explorer? Adult third row too?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
What about an Explorer? Adult third row too?
I'm not familiar enough with the new Explorer to say for sure. And the numbers they provide in the specs can be misleading because the second row could be moved so far up that it's useless at that point. Has to be real world verified.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
19 Posts
Heya-
IMO you may want to cross shop new ones if you're looking for a 2019. Used car prices are climbing through the roof right now. I just picked up a '21 Pilot for my wife at invoice cost, so seems like the price differential between new and slightly used is getting smaller by the day. I hear about all kinds of cars going for MSRP or over but I had no trouble at all getting invoice here in TN. You'll also likely get better financing terms on new vs. used. Just a thought! Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
238 Posts
I would choose my Pilot over the Highlander any day of the week. The Pilot has much more space which is why I would choose it. However, if I were in the market now I would strongly consider the Traverse or Explorer too. I am the typical Honda fanboy but this Pilot has had a lot of quality issues which have been quite annoying.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,928 Posts
If you mean LX, step up a notch to the EX and get CarPlay/android.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts