Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my extended warranty going until 5 years and 120,000 miles, I am at 56,000 miles now. I seem to notice that the transmission isn't the smoothest anymore. Would any of you put a VCM defying device on your Pilot before the warranty expired?

I don't know if the extended warranty covers the engine mounts or anything else that is affected by the VCM.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have done just this and have zero regrets. I have had other repairs done under warranty at dealers a cross several states and the disable I use (VCM Tuner II) has never come up.

I'd rather prevent the problem than have to deal with the hassle of a repair, even if it covered under warranty.

Also, at 56k miles, have you ever changed the transmission fluid? If not you are well overdue (if you have the 6-speed), even by Honda's maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes without question. It's super easy to remove with zero evidence if you're worried - additionally you're less likely to NEED the warranty if you disable VCM.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done just this and have zero regrets. I have had other repairs done under warranty at dealers a cross several states and the disable I use (VCM Tuner II) has never come up.

I'd rather prevent the problem than have to deal with the hassle of a repair, even if it covered under warranty.

Also, at 56k miles, have you ever changed the transmission fluid? If not you are well overdue (if you have the 6-speed), even by Honda's maintenance schedule.
Yeah, I have had the transmission fluid changed at 30,000 and will again before 60,000 miles. I bought a maintenance plan and they will do that as part of the package.

It just seems like you are driving along and then the car shifts, or whatever it does, to the point that I feel it, and my speed is steady.

·
Registered
883 Posts
In answer to one of your questions, yes, the motor mounts are covered by the extended warranty (Honda Care plan). Any internal engine components should also be covered which may be affected by the VCM.

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In answer to one of your questions, yes, the motor mounts are covered by the extended warranty (Honda Care plan). Any internal engine components should also be covered which may be affected by the VCM.
Good to know. I have already had the fuel injectors replaced at that was at 30,000 miles. My confidence in Honda is really not that great anymore.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have my extended warranty going until 5 years and 120,000 miles, I am at 56,000 miles now. I seem to notice that the transmission isn't the smoothest anymore. Would any of you put a VCM defying device on your Pilot before the warranty expired?

I don't know if the extended warranty covers the engine mounts or anything else that is affected by the VCM.
Yes and no. Yes, I installed VCM disabler and removed it. I idle quite a bit in hot summer fearing my engine will overheat. The company that builds VCM disabler claimed true temperature will be restored once certain temperature is reached. My fear is what if it doesn't. Since I have extended warranty, I'd just let Honda deal with whatever damage it may cause by VCM. I really don't want to take the risk of overheating.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have absolutely no regrets on installing my S-VCM several months ago and would definitely do it again and I still have 6 months of powertrain warranty remaining.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes and no. Yes, I installed VCM disabler and removed it. I idle quite a bit in hot summer fearing my engine will overheat. The company that builds VCM disabler claimed true temperature will be restored once certain temperature is reached. My fear is what if it doesn't. Since I have extended warranty, I'd just let Honda deal with whatever damage it may cause by VCM. I really don't want to take the risk of overheating.
What risk of overheating? It's been proven that the other temperature sensor handles the fans and the mechanical thermostat controls the coolant flow. I don't worry about it at all. I would be concerned if I had a disabler that didn't fail back to the true temperature because I wouldn't be able to see if the cooling system failed, but that's why I bought a good one ;). In normal situations though the actual coolant temp should be exactly the same with or without the VCM disabler.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What risk of overheating? It's been proven that the other temperature sensor handles the fans and the mechanical thermostat controls the coolant flow. I don't worry about it at all. I would be concerned if I had a disabler that didn't fail back to the true temperature because I wouldn't be able to see if the cooling system failed, but that's why I bought a good one ;). In normal situations though the actual coolant temp should be exactly the same with or without the VCM disabler.
crack radiator, loose coolant pipe, bad fan.....all could potentially cause overheating. Don't get me wrong, VCM disabler is a great tool. Personally, I just feel more comfortable not to have the actual temperature being masked by VCM disabler. In case if overheating, I'd know. Plus, I have extended warranty, Honda will take care of the issues.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
crack radiator, loose coolant pipe, bad fan.....all could potentially cause overheating. Don't get me wrong, VCM disabler is a great tool. Personally, I just feel more comfortable not to have the actual temperature being masked by VCM disabler. In case if overheating, I'd know. Plus, I have extended warranty, Honda will take care of the issues.
Honda may well take care of the issues, but probably not the way you want. First you'll get a CEL and if misfire codes are stored, you'll have to take it in and probably get the plugs on certain cylinders replaced, that's it. The misfire codes will eventually come back, and you'll have to take it in again, and maybe the second or third time they'll give you new oil control rings. The next time you'll get motor mount failure codes if you're lucky, if not, no codes and you'll get the "we feel the clunking, but with no codes, no can fix." After that, you'll have to take it in again for the transmission or torque converter shudder or lockup issues. Hope you have codes, because if not, "That's just the way Pilots are." Then when you're out of warranty, guess what? Now you need a new transmission, new motor mounts and a new engine. All on your dime.

I'm not making this up. It's all in black and white if you care to read about it, here and elsewhere. If you want to worry about something that hasn't happened yet, worry about how VCM will slowly destroy your car and you'll never get the warranty to fix enough to prevent ongoing problems until and unless they disable VCM, which they never will without losing their dealership franchise. Why not spare yourself a bunch of wasted time and frustration, and just do now, what you will wish later you had done now and disable VCM. Your chances of damage due to overheating are miniscule compared to your chances of damage due to oil fouling, stuck rings, damaged motor mounts, damaged transmission, damaged engine, no gas mileage benefit to speak of, and damaged belief in the value of your warranty.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Heh, I can respect that though I feel like jimmaki is correct on the correct placement of concerns.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I miss seeing actual ECT on the ScanGauge after installing the VCMTuner II. Thinking about installing one of these in the "hot" heater hose to have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not install it while the car is under factory extended warranty. VCM is an issue but not every Pilot will have it and if it occurs under warranty so long as the car is not abused Honda will take care of it and we received a loaner. Why would you take a chance of forgetting to remove it or perhaps damaging the coolant temp sensor clips via repeated install\uninstall? Once the car is out of warranty I would install it and leave it. Fwiw, I am not minimizing the problem as our Pilot had the ring job done as well at Honda's expense. Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would not install it while the car is under factory extended warranty. VCM is an issue but not every Pilot will have it and if it occurs under warranty so long as the car is not abused Honda will take care of it and we received a loaner. Why would you take a chance of forgetting to remove it or perhaps damaging the coolant temp sensor clips via repeated install\uninstall? Once the car is out of warranty I would install it and leave it. Fwiw, I am not minimizing the problem as our Pilot had the ring job done as well at Honda's expense. Good luck.
Problem is that by the time the warranty runs out, the damage has been done. I have an extended warranty with like three years left and I put the device on.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I miss seeing actual ECT on the ScanGauge after installing the VCMTuner II. Thinking about installing one of these in the "hot" heater hose to have the best of both worlds.

Consider for a moment, the number of people driving Honda vehicles that don't have ScanGauges, VCMTuners or hot heater hose gauges. They are all dependant on the factory temperature gauge which does not show the actual ECT. The gauge is designed to show a nominal stable operating temperature as a way to mitigate unnecessary questions from owners due to normal temperature fluctuations an accurate gauge would show. Despite this fact, there is very little, if any, evidence showing damage caused by overheating because drivers were unaware of the situation due to the temperature gauge's failure to display actual ECT. Ironically, even if the gauge did accurately track the ETC, since it is not calibrated let alone marked in degrees, there is no way to tell what the actual ETC is in degrees by any standard.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Consider for a moment, the number of people driving Honda vehicles that don't have ScanGauges, VCMTuners or hot heater hose gauges. They are all dependant on the factory temperature gauge which does not show the actual ECT. The gauge is designed to show a nominal stable operating temperature as a way to mitigate unnecessary questions from owners due to normal temperature fluctuations an accurate gauge would show. Despite this fact, there is very little, if any, evidence showing damage caused by overheating because drivers were unaware of the situation due to the temperature gauge's failure to display actual ECT. Ironically, even if the gauge did accurately track the ETC, since it is not calibrated let alone marked in degrees, there is no way to tell what the actual ETC is in degrees by any standard.

So, since I tow a trailer with a heavy garden tractor, do you guys recommend I get a Scangauge to monitor the actual temperatures?

·
Registered
753 Posts
So, since I tow a trailer with a heavy garden tractor, do you guys recommend I get a Scangauge to monitor the actual temperatures?
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I’d disable VCM with s-vcm or tuner 2, change the timing belt every 7 years /100k miles, run synthetic oil, get a transmission cooler if yours doesn’t have one already, and change the transmission fluid every 30-40k miles (preferably with synthetic or the ZF specific stuff depending on what you have) and not worry about a thing. It’s easy to over complicate this stuff or over think it, but really there are only a handful of major issues that tend to occur and doing the above should put you in a good place for a long happy carefree experience.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Depends. How heavy is the trailer when loaded? Do you know the towing limit for your vehicle? What model year trim level is your Pilot and does it have a transmission fluid cooler? Did you disable VCM? It wouldn't hurt to get a ScanGauge although there are less expensive ways to monitor atf temperature using a $20 OBDII sender and your cellphone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends. How heavy is the trailer when loaded? Do you know the towing limit for your vehicle? What model year trim level is your Pilot and does it have a transmission fluid cooler? Did you disable VCM? It wouldn't hurt to get a ScanGauge although there are less expensive ways to monitor atf temperature using a $20 OBDII sender and your cellphone.

Mine is 2017 Honda EXL AWD. Does have the transmission fluid cooler. I order my S-VCM and should have it later this week.

Can you tell me more about this $20 OBDII send and cellphone option?

I would mainly just want to actually monitor my engine temps maybe.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts