Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am thinkiing about buying a 05 Honda Pilot EX-L with about 196,500 miles for my wife. The asking price is $4,200.00

VIN: 5FNYF18575B020519

This is what the 2nd owner e-mailed to me ''I have had the car since Dec 2016. I am buying a newer car same model. The car has been very reliable and have had oil changed every 3k miles, replaced serpentine belt, and relay for airbag off indicator. Car has a small leak seems like oil pan gasket based on mechanics input. The original owner had performed the timing belt replacement at 120k. Service engine light comes on intermittently and goes out by itself. Does not affect performance, tied to pollution control sensor. A nice clean vehicle.''

So what do you think? Should I buy it or not? And if yes, than how much cash should I offer. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Do you have photos of the engine compartment and underside of the vehicle?
If you can get your hands on the entire service history compare it against the required maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what the 2nd owner e-mailed to me - I think i have receipt will need to check and i am out of town right now. No indication water pump was done.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You have a recurring CEL, unknown cause. You have an oil leak, unknown cause (Probably crankshaft oil seal, not an easy fix). Your timing belt is due soon. Plus, all the other stuff that you don't know about yet, like worn out lower control arms, sway bar bushings and links, etc. If you can do it yourself, and you have the tools, skills, and time, then negotiate a lower price and go for it. If you are hoping to just buy it and drive, maybe give this one a pass.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If you end up seriously considering this Pilot have your trusted mechanic perform an inspection. It will most likely be worth the ~one hour labor charge you’ll incur.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know how to fix cars. Would it be enough to just go to AutoZone and run scanner to check for the codes or do I really need to find an honest mechanic so he could take a look at this Pilot?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Details of the records state ONLY OIL changes were performed. Basic Maintenance was done.. Your due for the major repairs as the other members mentioned here ... this is why he's dumping it while he can.
History-Based Value
by CARFAX

$2,290 <---- Car fax price

Trade-In Value

maintenance records ,

10/02/2018
196,321 mi
Cherry Grove Automotive
08/21/2018
195,357 mi
Cherry Grove Automotive
07/11/2018
194,454 mi
Cherry Grove Automotive
03/07/2018
191,382 mi
Cherry Grove Automotive
07/29/2014
160,732 mi
East Coast Honda
12/12/2012
143,909 mi
Metro Honda in Union County
11/30/2012
143,616 mi
North Carolina Inspection Station
11/14/2011
132,551 mi
05/27/2011
127,549 mi
Crown Honda Charlotte
05/27/2011
Scott Clark Honda
12/14/2010
North Carolina
12/13/2010
121,972 mi
12/16/2009
North Carolina
03/12/2009
100,210 mi
12/08/2008
North Carolina
03/05/2008
87,664 mi
12/04/2007
North Carolina
03/20/2007
North Carolina
02/15/2007
74,915 mi
02/08/2007
North Carolina
03/22/2006
42,309 mi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My wife needs a medium size SUV for about $4,000. I have been looking on craiglist and at the facebook market place and at the cargurus for months now. I don't see any reliable SUV in the 40 miles radius. All I see here is overpriced junk with lots of miles. There is only one Pilot and its almost an hour drive from me. I have searched thousands of SUV ads, physically have looked at almost hundred of them, test drove almost dozen.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
We live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My wife needs a medium size SUV for about $4,000.
Why does your wife "need" a "medium size SUV"?
How many people and/or how much cargo does she typically have to transport?
Do you get much snow in SC or does she regularly drive off-road?
What is the likelihood of your future financial situation improving so that you could spend more than $4K on a vehicle?

Also, the original radiator has been a weak point for '05 Pilots, so it should be replaced if not already done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She needs a medium size SUV because I would feel much better for her driving SUV and not a car in this crazy tourist city. She just got her learner's permit 5 months ago and she is going to get a regular driver license next month. Obviously she doesn't have much experience driving on the busy roads. Also SUVs offer more protection than cars and SUVs are more heavier/solid build and have better out of cabin road view. I want to pay cash so I don't have to pay for expensive collision insurance. So if she gets in an accident and if it would be her fault than we would only loose about 4 thousands. That is why I don't see a reason to buy her a new or $6,000-$10,000 SUV.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
She needs a medium size SUV because I would feel much better for her driving SUV and not a car in this crazy tourist city. She just got her learner's permit 5 months ago and she is going to get a regular driver license next month. Obviously she doesn't have much experience driving on the busy roads. Also SUVs offer more protection than cars and SUVs are more heavier/solid build and have better out of cabin road view. I want to pay cash so I don't have to pay for expensive collision insurance. So if she gets in an accident and if it would be her fault than we would only loose about 4 thousands. That is why I don't see a reason to buy her a new or $6,000-$10,000 SUV.
In order to find an SUV in that dollar range you will end up spending the extra 2 grand or so just getting it to where it supposed to be.
Have you looked at full size pickups ? they are designed to plow through other vehicles yes they are that strong....and you have that extra protection from the bed in the back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She weights only 105 lbs. and already tried to test drive Tahoe and Yukon. She says that they are too big(wide and long) for her. She doesn't like the way pickup trucks look like. Also she doesn't like the looks of Jeep Liberty, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, Saturn VUE, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4. She loves the looks of Ford Explorer but I have explained to her how expensive repairs on Ford are going to be. She is ok with the looks of Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevy Trailblazer. She likes the looks of Mercury Mariner and Mercury Mountaneer(but I've told her that its Ford too and Ford stands for Fix or Repair Daily).

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
If she is found at fault in an accident, you could lose much more than $4K if the other party sues her.

In your present situation, I'd be inclined to look for a used Toyota Camry. Expand your search radius as necessary.
Check sites such as autotrader:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+5000/Toyota/Camry/Myrtle+Beach+SC-29575?zip=29575&startYear=1981&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=500&modelCodeList=CAMRY&listingTypes=USED&maxPrice=5000&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

She weights only 105 lbs. and already tried to test drive Tahoe and Yukon. She says that they are too big(wide and long) for her. She doesn't like the way pickup trucks look like. Also she doesn't like the looks of Jeep Liberty, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, Saturn VUE, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4. She loves the looks of Ford Explorer but I have explained to her how expensive repairs on Ford are going to be. She is ok with the looks of Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevy Trailblazer. She likes the looks of Mercury Mariner and Mercury Mountaneer(but I've told her that its Ford too and Ford stands for Fix or Repair Daily).
The styling of the vehicle should be your least concern.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take that hour drive

We live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My wife needs a medium size SUV for about $4,000. I have been looking on craiglist and at the facebook market place and at the cargurus for months now. I don't see any reliable SUV in the 40 miles radius. All I see here is overpriced junk with lots of miles. There is only one Pilot and its almost an hour drive from me. I have searched thousands of SUV ads, physically have looked at almost hundred of them, test drove almost dozen.

I would take that hour drive. I looked for about a month for a reliable SUV and all the ones I found on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace didn't pan out. I found an 05 EXL at a dealer about 25 miles from me. The previous owner had it serviced there and they were able to confirm that the Water pump, Timing Belt and tensioners/pullies were changed there as well as the AC system being replaced. They also serviced the Radiator there and did routine maintenance. I paid $4,900 cash not including taxes/fees. Total was like $5,400, but I felt better with the service history being available. It had 155,929 when I bought it a little over a month ago and it's at 157,000. I had to replace the high-mount brake light harness which is fairly easy. I replaced the resistor for the rear AC which was also a quick fix. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I just have to figure out if the Radiator was replaced or if it needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts