Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, since getting my new tires several weeks ago, i did finally notice where the wheels on the Pilot EXL has scratches, and it seems to go around in a circle. Do you think the Tire Balance or Wheel alignment, or even when they put the tires on, would cause this?

If so, seems the wheels scratch very easy or they were rough as hell on the wheels.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Hello all, since getting my new tires several weeks ago, i did finally notice where the wheels on the Pilot EXL has scratches, and it seems to go around in a circle. Do you think the Tire Balance or Wheel alignment, or even when they put the tires on, would cause this?

If so, seems the wheels scratch very easy or they were rough as hell on the wheels.
Yes, it's possible if careless.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any pictures, since I don't know how to post on here, but yeah around the center cap area on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If it’s the center cap then it’s highly likely they scratched your wheels. They take off the wheel pop out your center cap and insert the tire on the balance machine. Then they spin a center “holder” onto the stem of the machine to keep the wheel inserted against the machine and prevent movement when the wheel is spun to balance. I would imagine the holder is older and not padded enough anymore and may be the culprit.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I strongly believe it’s the installer who scratched them. I had mine replaced at Costco last October, despite that I told them not to scratch before hand and ended up with some scratches on one or two wheels. My other car had a scratched ring on each wheel, just where the tire rubber meets the wheel. Of cause they didn’t want to admit that. These are what the “Car Talk” guy called “grease monkeys” (no offence intended). They work like crazy in those tire changing seasons.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Please tell us which Costco Tire center, we'd all like to know so we can go to the nearest warehouse away from that location. You should inform the tire center manager, and if they're not helpful let the store warehouse manager know about your situation.

You can file a claim for them to make it right. They repaired the paint on my (1 week old,back then 2008) G35 when the gas sign (A-frame) flew and hit my car when I was pumping gas as the attendant watched it happen on a windy day.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am in Ontario Canada and you are most likely not going to anywhere near it. Well the first case was many years ago and I didn’t notice them till a few days or weeks later. The Pilot’s wheels were just a couple of small dings and probably not worth the hassle to deal with them. Thanks for the recommendations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts