Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
98 Posts
Yes, I would definitely buy the Pilot again (New Gen), if not go bigger with the Nissan Armada.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
176 Posts
I have no regrets. Ive been happy with this pilot, so far. I bought it new and am at about 155K ATM. But, the next vehicle will almost certainly not be a pilot. When we were a 1 car family, it was the pilot. When we went to 2 cars, I got the pilot and the wife got an 18 CRV. The CRV has been great, except for the fuel dilution problem. We experienced that problem and I had a very bad interaction with the dealership over it. They will not own that problem. In the long run, that CRV engine will die prematurely. So, when the pilot passes on, I am almost certainly not getting a Honda. I've owned 5 Hondas, and am thinking I wont ever again, once these are done. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but as the expression goes "fool me once..."

·
Registered
11 Posts
We bought ours in 2016 and thought we needed a 7-8 passenger vehicle. We primarily looked at the Pilot and Highlander and chose the Pilot as the Highlander felt smaller inside and the Pilot had LKA, FCW, and ACC available in the trim we wanted.
We had looked at the 4 Runner as well, but it was very small inside.
I wish we had bought a new or used Lexus GX. There are drawbacks as it didn’t handle as well, likely has worse gas mileage (likely 16-17 mpg combined vs the 22-23 mpg we get in the Pilot), and has less space inside. I felt at the time and still feel it’s a vehicle you could drive for decades while performing routine and scheduled maintenance and have minimal issues. I feel the Pilot might be a better daily driver, but I do worry about the long term reliability of the transmission and engine (specifically the fuel injection system).
if I wanted to buy a 7-8 passenger vehicle now, I would probably buy a 2021 Toyota Sienna or a Lexus GX (likely used). We would end up with a GX, as my wife refuses to drive a van.
We rarely have more than the 4 of us in the vehicle, so the next car we get will either be a Rav4 Hybrid or Plug-in Hybrid or a hybrid or non-hybrid CRV as either would be plenty big for the 4 of us.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No.

I could write a 10 page term paper on everything I dislike about my 16 Pilot, and Honda in particular. But honestly, I have no one to blame but myself for not heeding all the red flags I saw before buying. So you have some specifics ... on the Pilot it is the VCM feature and expense I've had to go to fixing it's repairs to my motor mount and my resentment for having to spend money on an aftermarket disabler to defeat it (and all the added worry of the yet unknown unintended consequences of doing that). My '18 CRV is even worse. I hate that vehicle. Never again Honda. Unfortunately finding a quality replacement is proving equally hard these days. A vehicle I like ... the Highlander, is plagued by wind noise, Ascent plagued by booboo quality issues, etc., etc. I would buy a "plain Jane" car, or Lexus SUV in a heart beat, but the wife has turned her nose up on that. So I am caught in a box these days left to venting my frustrations online in forums like this one. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Good luck finding the right vehicle for you.

·
Registered
798 Posts
No.

I could write a 10 page term paper on everything I dislike about my 16 Pilot, and Honda in particular. But honestly, I have no one to blame but myself for not heeding all the red flags I saw before buying. So you have some specifics ... on the Pilot it is the VCM feature and expense I've had to go to fixing it's repairs to my motor mount and my resentment for having to spend money on an aftermarket disabler to defeat it (and all the added worry of the yet unknown unintended consequences of doing that). My '18 CRV is even worse. I hate that vehicle. Never again Honda. Unfortunately finding a quality replacement is proving equally hard these days. A vehicle I like ... the Highlander, is plagued by wind noise, Ascent plagued by booboo quality issues, etc., etc. I would buy a "plain Jane" car, or Lexus SUV in a heart beat, but the wife has turned her nose up on that. So I am caught in a box these days left to venting my frustrations online in forums like this one. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Good luck finding the right vehicle for you.
Just need to convince the wife to drive a luxury suv. It probably won’t be a tough sell after that.... probably. I’m in the same boat as you, not massively impressed by ours but it gets the job done and seems fine with vcm disabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just need to convince the wife to drive a luxury suv. It probably won’t be a tough sell after that.... probably. I’m in the same boat as you, not massively impressed by ours but it gets the job done and seems fine with vcm disabled.

I had 2 pilots, a 2019 and a 2020. I sold it and bought a 2022 MDX. If the elite model had brake hold and 360 camera I would have went back to the pilot. The pilot has the space which is a big deal when you have that extra head room and trunk space. If we are talking about this current generation that would be a hard no. The infotainment is small compared to the MDX and the Highlander, the ZF-9 transmission sucks, yeah some will say they have not had problems but many have had problems and I don't trust the reliability after failures.

I would consider selling the 2022 MDX when the new pilot comes out.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
I would have still rebuilt a Pilot, If I had to do it over again, I would opt for a 2012-2015 model.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Yes, I would definitely buy the Pilot again (New Gen), if not go bigger with the Nissan Armada.
Same. During the height of the infotainment issues, I hated the vehicle. But now, the fondness I had for my 2012 applies to the 2019.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Dodge Durango due to higher towing capacity. I bought the Pilot expecting bulletproof reliability and have been disappointed. I figure the Dodge won't be that much worse than the Pilot has been.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
Would buy Pilot again, if not what would you buy

Yes
We bought a new 08 SE FWD in '08. It's been good, now over 190K miles.
Yeah, the timing belts- a chain constantly bathed in oil basically don't wear out.

We recently added to the stable and bought our Minty 15 LX, 4WD, w. factory trailer towing. It still has less that 70K.

Yes, there are a LOT of choices. I made this one. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
50 Posts
If the elite model had brake hold and 360 camera I would have went back to the pilot.
I agree that these two features are highly desirable and I will be looking for them in my next car.

Currently have a 2020 EX-L which replaced a totaled 2017 EX-L (old bmw 3 series fish-tailed into me in the snow; his insurance paid) and my wife and I are extremely happy with it. Considered a Highlander before we got the 2017 (I preferred the look) but glad we got the Pilot. Once managed to fit 8 people with two 6 footers in the 3rd row! Could not have done that with a highlander. Also really like the power and acceleration of the Pilot and so does my wife!

The only thing I would have done differently is to go for the touring.

Next car will be smaller, and not be a replacement, because this Pilot is going to be our long haul keeper. Hence recent purchase of SVCM. Thinking of next RDX for that second car which will replace our 2017 CRV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had 2 pilots, a 2019 and a 2020. I sold it and bought a 2022 MDX. If the elite model had brake hold and 360 camera I would have went back to the pilot. The pilot has the space which is a big deal when you have that extra head room and trunk space. If we are talking about this current generation that would be a hard no. The infotainment is small compared to the MDX and the Highlander, the ZF-9 transmission sucks, yeah some will say they have not had problems but many have had problems and I don't trust the reliability after failures.

I would consider selling the 2022 MDX when the new pilot comes out.
Yeah we actually test drove a 2022 A spec MDX, was nice and the seats were great but overall wasn’t in love with it. Have you been able to get used to the touchpad deal? I couldn’t even get the hang of that in the parking lot fully focused on the absolute positioning logic. They claim you get used it it but I was skeptical.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
We have a 2014 EX-L 4-WD and would buy it again. IMO the 2012-2015 generation was the sweet spot.
I agree. Prefer our 2012 over the new ones. We have 3 cars all expected to keep running for the foreseeable future, but if I bought another car it would probably be a bright yellow convertible Camaro or a red Vette. Hey, I'm way past mid-life so it's no crisis. More nostalgia. My first and third cars were Chevrolets, back when they made good cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes! I have owned my Pilot since 2005 and love it. It has survived being hit 2 times and is no worse for wear. Two boys and two dogs have put it through its paces and it has held up well. I don't know what I will do when it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe. I traded a 2017 Subaru Outback for a 2019 Pilot EXL due to Subaru's chronic engine problems (high oil consumption and future head gasket issues that afflicted our old Forester). Subaru will not even respond to oil consumption complaints after a class action over it.

Overall I have been quite happy with the Pilot (now at 17K miles), though not so much with the dealer (Kuehl Honda in Cedar Rapids Iowa: two bad recall experiences and rude employees refuse to wear masks).

I have had no significant problems with the car. It is normally a pleasure to drive, and the commanding view of the road is reassuring. Extra passenger space is great when transporting grandchildren & luggage etc. Some of the safety features are intrusive and annoying, and I turned them off (eg, steering correction, automatic braking for objects in front).
The only time I dislike it is when in a city with narrow streets (like NYC!) and a lot of traffic. It feels like I am driving a bus and it is hard to judge distance. Maybe I will get used to that, but living in rural Iowa, it is rarely a problem. If I had to do it again, I might prefer something a bit smaller. I considered a Ford Explorer before buying the Pilot, but the Explorer had not been updated for 5 years and seemed a but dated. Seems like any close substitute has its issues ...

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot Touring 4 WD
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot Touring 4WD with 248,000 miles. I have meticulously maintained the vehicle from day one. The VCM has not been a problem for me with the computer updates Honda did that helped some Pilots. I do burn about a quart of oil every 4,000 miles since around 200,000 miles. My problem with the Pilot has been things like both front and rear cams got pitted and replaced at 220,000 miles, the cost of changing the timing belt/pulleys/water pump every 105,000 miles. I did go longer on my changes. 3 recalls for various issues but Honda did cover those. I now have an electrical issue with my left turn signal indicator staying on all the time as soon as I start the Pilot. Nothing as simple as a fuse, turn signal bulb, etc. I’ve spoken to two long time Honda mechanics and they have never seen this particular issue so it will be fun spending money as they replace things trying to find the problem. Also just noticed the AC is not kicking in when I hit the AC button. Fan runs but not cooling. I love this Pilot and have great travel memories with my family but will never own another Honda past warranty due to what I have spent in repair cost. I know it is a lot of miles but in the old days Honda’s routinely hit 250,000 without the maintenance cost I have incurred. My concern when I bought it was the build was in Alabama and I jokingly commented I hope my Pilot was not built during hunting season. I guess it was! Not hating on Bama. I am from the state. Roll Tide! For full disclosure just leased a new Passport for 36 months as a bridge vehicle to buying the best available EV in 3 years. By then many will get the 500 mile range I need before recharging and the cost will be better. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
We bought our '15 EX-L used in '18. My wife loves it and wouldn't trade a thing. I wish we had gotten a touring for the extra goodies, mostly the memory seats since when we first bought it we were constantly adjusting the seats. If it was me, I would have preferred an SE since I find that to be the sweet spot in the model range.

Every time a new three row is released I send my wife the link to the review and pictures on Autoblog. The only one that she even humored me with a response is the new MDX.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts