Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
[
Cheapass.
Just to show how cheap I am. I was just thinking about how much easier it would have been to change the ATF filter if I deleted Honda's and installed me one of these babies. A remote ATF filter. Temperature gauge optional.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My hangup there (as it was with using the non OEM filter) is that transmissions can be so sensitive to pressure provided and how does this system change that pressure. Is it enough to affect the behavior of the transmission? Cause issues that will cause long term damage? I understand the desire to filter the transmission to get the most life out of it but it's not quite as simple as throwing a kit on IMO.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
My hangup there (as it was with using the non OEM filter) is that transmissions can be so sensitive to pressure provided and how does this system change that pressure. Is it enough to affect the behavior of the transmission? Cause issues that will cause long term damage? I understand the desire to filter the transmission to get the most life out of it but it's not quite as simple as throwing a kit on IMO.
The filtration and cooling system of the transmission has little to no bearing on the mechanical operation of the transmission itself. That is, until they fail (leak, plugged or over heat).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had similar reservations of adding or using aftermarket trans filters when this thread popped up. I don't know what psi the transmission pump generates, requires or whether a particular filter has too much resistance to flow and are there bypass valves. I like that kit posted by @Nail Grease post #63 as that kit has all the features a trans fanatic needs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I had similar reservations of adding or using aftermarket trans filters when this thread popped up. I don't know what psi the transmission pump generates, requires or whether a particular filter has too much resistance to flow and are there bypass valves. I like that kit posted by @Nail Grease post #63 as that kit has all the features a trans fanatic needs.
Install with confidence. No need to worry. Only thing I would do is pre-fill the filter.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yea I'd need to know more about how the pump system in this transmission operates and more information about flow through the filter/whether it has a bypass, etc. If the transmission pump picks up from the "fluid pan" and after the fluid runs through the transmission it is pushed to the cooler than the filter than the pan again, this would likely have little effect on operation. If the pump pushes fluid through the cooler and the filter first I have more reservations about using it.

Something else I am just thinking, the filter for the 3rd gen 6 speeds just goes in the middle of the return hose. This filter could probably be used on 1st and 2nd gens with the cooler as well...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I would actually just buy the filter base alone because our hoses and conectors need to be the proper diameter to fit the in and out ports.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would actually just buy the filter base alone because our hoses and conectors need to be the proper diameter to fit the in and out ports.
If the diameters are close that should clamp okay otherwise some hose adapters should work. But once the connections are made that spin on filter is neat.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Something else I am just thinking, the filter for the 3rd gen 6 speeds just goes in the middle of the return hose. This filter could probably be used on 1st and 2nd gens with the cooler as well...
It would be as easy as changing the fuel filter on my '64 Plymouth Valiant when I was 16 years old. :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If the diameters are close that should clamp okay otherwise some hose adapters should work. But once the connections are made that spin on filter is neat.
I think I still want to try to get the right hose size and connections.
This filter base has the in and out ports on the side.This configuration would be better than out the top like the other one has.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does the factory filter have a bypass in the end metal cap like others complained the BeckArnley doesn't?

I forgot which forums but they also showed that the new Magnefine filters fit into factory clamp on the Honda's. Bigger filter area and the magnet for capturing the fine stuff.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
268 Posts
I bought a Wix ATF filter for my 04 Pilot. Was planning on replacing the original filter (180k miles) next time I do a drain and fill, probably in a few weeks. Should I chuck the Wix filter and get a genuine Honda filter instead?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Depends who makes the part for Beck/Arnley.
What you wouldn't want is something like this one:

Does the factory filter have a bypass in the end metal cap like others complained the BeckArnley doesn't?
There is no bypass valve in a Honda factory ATF filter as some say or video claims.
The pleats are glued in just like the one in the video.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I bought a Wix ATF filter for my 04 Pilot. Was planning on replacing the original filter (180k miles) next time I do a drain and fill, probably in a few weeks. Should I chuck the Wix filter and get a genuine Honda filter instead?
Missed your post here 3 months ago. I'd keep the WIX.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts