1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It's got to be better performing than 99% of people who will never change the OEM filter, so yes I would be willing to. But only if the OEM was something ridiculous like $50, if the OEM is $20, maybe $30 I'd just get the OEM to be conservative.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got to be better performing than 99% of people who will never change the OEM filter, so yes I would be willing to. But only if the OEM was something ridiculous like $50, if the OEM is $20, maybe $30 I'd just get the OEM to be conservative.
OEM pic. Yes, price is why I brought it up. There are import versions of this on Amazon and EBay. I don't trust these sources since I can't see inside the filter itself.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends who makes the part for Beck/Arnley.
What you wouldn't want is something like this one:

I don't see that anything was wrong with that filter until the one who cut it open tore it apart. Maybe you can explain what was wrong versus OEM.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For $32 I'd just get the OEM one to play it safe. Transmissions are even more sensitive to fluid pressure so I'd be more skeptical of aftermarket products. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For $32 I'd just get the OEM one to play it safe. Transmissions are even more sensitive to fluid pressure so I'd be more skeptical of aftermarket products. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
But, but, but... ??

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really don't know much about transmission....here is my question. Do 2016+ Pilots with 6 speed have ATF filter? If yes, how often do we need to replace it?

I always thought drain and fill is enough. Never heard about ATF filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, there is a replaceable transmission filter on the 6spd, but it is inside the housing on the 9spd.

I don't believe Honda specifies a replacement interval, but some do replace. On my other Honda automatics, I replace it every 100K miles. But my opinion is that more frequent that that is not necessary.

Some will cut open the filter and say it should be replaced more frequently because there is debris in it, but that is the point of the filter - I'd be scared if there wasn't any debris. From what I've seen in those pictures, the level of debris is nowhere near the level that would cause restriction.

Again, my opinion and I don't want to ruffle feathers. But I feel like once every 100K is enough and you should always use OEM.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't know much about transmission....here is my question. Do 2016+ Pilots with 6 speed have ATF filter? If yes, how often do we need to replace it?

I always thought drain and fill is enough. Never heard about ATF filter.
Yes, your 3rd generation Pilot has an external filter. I personally would change the original filter at 10k miles just because it captures a lot more trash when the transmission is new. Then every other transmission service. Thats my feelings on the subject.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
But, but, but... ??
SUCK IT UP!!!

Grab an extra 30 mins at work when you need to buy the filter, that should be enough to get you the filter, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I shelled out $50cdn for an OEM filter as it was not worth the risk of using a filter from an unknown source. I was glad I changed it out when I did as it was full of gunk. I still can't believe that Honda does not recommend changing this filter. More profit in replacement transmissions probably.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, there is a replaceable transmission filter on the 6spd, but it is inside the housing on the 9spd.

I don't believe Honda specifies a replacement interval, but some do replace. On my other Honda automatics, I replace it every 100K miles. But my opinion is that more frequent that that is not necessary.

Some will cut open the filter and say it should be replaced more frequently because there is debris in it, but that is the point of the filter - I'd be scared if there wasn't any debris. From what I've seen in those pictures, the level of debris is nowhere near the level that would cause restriction.

Again, my opinion and I don't want to ruffle feathers. But I feel like once every 100K is enough and you should always use OEM.

Good luck.
Understand. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, your 3rd generation Pilot has an external filter. I personally would change the original filter at 10k miles just because it captures a lot more trash when the transmission is new. Then every other transmission service. Thats my feelings on the subject. View attachment 135083
Thanks for the photo. The most complicate task I can do on a car is engine oil/filter change. Is changing ATF filter easier or more difficult than changing engine oil?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the photo. The most complicate task I can do on a car is engine oil/filter change. Is changing ATF filter easier or more difficult than changing engine oil?
There are various videos on how to do this on YouTube. This photo was taken when I was replacing the front engine mount. This attachment is Honda's instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
SUCK IT UP!!!

Grab an extra 30 mins at work when you need to buy the filter, that should be enough to get you the filter, right?
But the Beck Arnley is 3 times cheaper.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Cheapass.

Combine the new filter with the Wolf Head ATF and you'll drop a full second off of your 0-60 time.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts