Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Poloteers,
I have a 2003 Honda Pilot with 220,000 miles. The thing rides smooth. Only problem I have with the car is that I’ve done 2 tunes within the past year and im tryna get this light shake that I feel at the steering wheel off. Over all the car is getting bad gas mileage. I have 1 engine code which is P1457 for evap control system leakage. It’s the only code that’s been there since I bought car last year. So i dont if one getting the bad gas mileage because the of vacuum leak from the code or if it’s something else.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
It would help us to know in detail what's been done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Plugs? Coil packs? Valve adjustment? How’s the suspension? I used to have really bad shaking in the steering wheel and road noise from some crappy coopers that came on the car. After I switched to a good tire all that went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Welcome @Henryalvarez1 ...Pilots in general ride nice but at 220k you’re going to need some maintenance to keep it going longer. Pilots are no small econobox so averaging < 20mpg could be okay. Fixing your codes and general maintenance items will go a long way.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I don't drive like a granny and I average about 19 MPG mostly city. Gas is an unavoidable expense so my gas mileage is something I don't care much about.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the steering wheel shakes, I’d first look for uneven tire wear and tire balancing issues. Then check the suspension, eg ball joints, tie rod ends, and so forth.

That Evap code usually means a loose gas cap on other rigs I’ve worked on. The gas tank and lines is supposed to hold about 1 psi of air over ambient pressure IIRC.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
That Evap code usually means a loose gas cap on other rigs I’ve worked on. The gas tank and lines is supposed to hold about 1 psi of air over ambient pressure IIRC.

Hope this helps.
I leaned that lesson by using an aftermarket locking gas cap once. You don't have an aftermarket one, do you? If turning the original OEM gas cap closed 3 or 4 clicks minimum doesn't help, maybe the seal has deteriorated and it's time for a replacement. If new OEM is out of your price range, you could probably find a decent one at a salvage yard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something that has worked for me to replace all those little vacuum lines and little hose crimp clamps. After 17 years of use they get weak and your vacuum will drop. I gained about 2.4 inches of vacuum when I did mine. Those vacuum lines are used for all sorts of engine controls and a weak vacuum will have an effect on the efficiency of the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts