Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if it's just me or it's the tires....i just noticed that my rear tires are already worn out and you could see the canvass already. my lx has the duelers h/t stock, a year old and the dealer had rotated the tires 3 times already. anybody has the same situation? also if i'm gonna buy new tires any recomendations? the pilot will be mainly for on-road use.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Wow, how many miles are on those tires?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Michelin Cross-Terrains are the tire most who've swapped have gone with. I'll eventually do the same, although Toyo Open Country A/T's look interesting.

How many miles on the Bridgestones?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Something must be wrong with your Pilot. If anything the front tires will be the first to go. My Goodyears have over 18000 miles and still are in good condition.

I wouldn't buy new tires before getting the problem corrected. Personally I don't think it is the tires.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The Yokohama Geolander always rate very high in comparison tests.

Matt:)

·
Registered
747 Posts
theman said:
i don't know if it's just me or it's the tires....i just noticed that my rear tires are already worn out and you could see the canvass already. my lx has the duelers h/t stock, a year old and the dealer had rotated the tires 3 times already. anybody has the same situation? also if i'm gonna buy new tires any recomendations? the pilot will be mainly for on-road use.
You need to buy four new tires, not just two.
The reason being new tires are bigger in diameter than old tires. And this difference will fool the VTM4 system and make it think slipping is happening while there isn't.

·
Registered
316 Posts
4603pba said:
Something must be wrong with your Pilot. If anything the front tires will be the first to go. My Goodyears have over 18000 miles and still are in good condition.

I wouldn't buy new tires before getting the problem corrected. Personally I don't think it is the tires.
:4: Ditto, except I have 23,000 miles on mine.:4:

·
Registered
336 Posts
theman said:
i don't know if it's just me or it's the tires....i just noticed that my rear tires are already worn out and you could see the canvass already. my lx has the duelers h/t stock, a year old and the dealer had rotated the tires 3 times already. anybody has the same situation? also if i'm gonna buy new tires any recommendations? the pilot will be mainly for on-road use.
Could you post pictures of the tires? I have a EX with the Bridgestones, and at 5K miles I noted some front wear (not really that unusual, just some light outer shoulder feathering). But significant, uneven wear is a cause for concern.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: worn out tires

timchen said:

You need to buy four new tires, not just two.
The reason being new tires are bigger in diameter than old tires. And this difference will fool the VTM4 system and make it think slipping is happening while there isn't.
Are you serious? :8: Or is this folklore? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: worn out tires

kemosabe said:

Are you serious? :8: Or is this folklore? :confused:
Yes you should replace all four.

If you were rotating when you should and there is no other problem, then they should all wear out about the same time.

I have 25,000 miles and they look way too good (I want to change to Michlen, but not till I need to)

If two tires are worn to the cord at under 40,000 miles I would expect there is some other issue at play. (Alignment, Improper rotation, Driving Style, etc.)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
N_Jay: Thanks for the response... I guess I should've been more specific in my folklore question -- I was questioning timchen's reasonong for getting all four replaced: "The reason being new tires are bigger in diameter than old tires. And this difference will fool the VTM4 system and make it think slipping is happening while there isn't. "

Is that quote a valid statement??? :confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
kemosabe said:

For my Audi with all-wheel drive, the dealer told me that for sure I need to replace all four tires at once and to even be sure that the inflation on all tires was within 1 psi to keep from causing wear on the differentials. I know that the VTM-4 is different, so should someone call Honda to ask?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:
N_Jay: Thanks for the response... I guess I should've been more specific in my folklore question -- I was questioning timchen's reasonong for getting all four replaced: "The reason being new tires are bigger in diameter than old tires. And this difference will fool the VTM4 system and make it think slipping is happening while there isn't. "

The magic number seems to be 3% for Honda 4wd systems.

So a small difference in diameter should not be an issue.
The question is WHY?
If you rotate your tires they will wear out in sets and the size difference will be minimized.

Any difference will cause some additional wear as the system will engage sooner in conditions where it is not needed, and will always be working against that size difference when it is on.

The CR-V has a similar but mechanical system and people have noticed some issues when changing two tires.

·
Registered
747 Posts
N_Jay said:

The magic number seems to be 3% for Honda 4wd systems.

So a small difference in diameter should not be an issue.
The question is WHY?

Why? new and almost bold tire may have 3% difference already. I remember seeing motor week TV. They measured two tires for an GMC. The completely new tire circle length is 93" when the bold tire is 90" and that's more than 3%. The painful part is when you lose one tire due to puncture or other reason, they recommand to replace all 4 tires if the threads are half gone(also read, still half remained). They said either new tires or new differential.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
timchen said:

Why? new and almost bold tire may have 3% difference already. I remember seeing motor week TV. They measured two tires for an GMC. The completely new tire circle length is 93" when the bold tire is 90" and that's more than 3%. The painful part is when you lose one tire due to puncture or other reason, they recommand to replace all 4 tires if the threads are half gone(also read, still half remained). They said either new tires or new differential.
1. If the other three are bald then dont just replace one!

2. If the other three are better than 1/2, replace one and rotate a bit more often to even up the tires. Then when the other three need replacing buy four and make the good one a spare.

3. If the other three are less than 1/2 you have a hard decision to make.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts