Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 exl awd 130k - I've posted about "slack" in drive train - have now taken it to a transmission shop & been told it's my axles (which was good news - not trans & not going to fail soon or w/out warning) - I had a '96 Accord w/bad c v joints that crunched when I turned - the Pilot doesn't do that, so I'm wondering if it's my INNER joints (I didn't think to ask - was just glad it wasn't the trans !) Also wondering what TYPE the inners are - tri pod ? And how they would cause the "slack" ? Anybody have any thots on this ? Thanx

·
Registered
282 Posts
The whole CV axle assembly would normally be replaced, along with the seal at the transmission. Aftermarket are hit and miss - I used Cardone but wouldn't buy again.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
The whole CV axle assembly would normally be replaced, along with the seal at the transmission. Aftermarket are hit and miss - I used Cardone but wouldn't buy again.
Yes, replace the whole thing and be done with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I've read posts about replacement - but I'm just trying to understand what type the inner joints are & how their being worn would cause my "slack" issue - not doubting it , just trying to understand the mechanics of it !

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Yes I've read posts about replacement - but I'm just trying to understand what type the inner joints are & how their being worn would cause my "slack" issue - not doubting it , just trying to understand the mechanics of it !
'07 exl awd 130k - I've posted about "slack" in drive train - have now taken it to a transmission shop & been told it's my axles (which was good news - not trans & not going to fail soon or w/out warning) - I had a '96 Accord w/bad c v joints that crunched when I turned - the Pilot doesn't do that, so I'm wondering if it's my INNER joints (I didn't think to ask - was just glad it wasn't the trans !) Also wondering what TYPE the inners are - tri pod ? And how they would cause the "slack" ? Anybody have any thots on this ? Thanx
What is the symptom of slack in the drive train if there in no "clunk" when put in gear?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a clunk - more of a feel than a sound - from reverse to drive when I back out of the driveway - also when I step lightly on / off gas while cruising - high gear , not under load , at 40 mph or so - & sometimes when it shifts - most noticably from 4th to 5th - kind of a hesitation , or gap , then it connects - it's not an engine thing , it's "slack" , or a gap , between motor and wheels !

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have you checked out the motor mounts? The front and passenger side mounts, especially, are a well-known problem area for Pilots. Worn out, loose mounts will give you a clunk under load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I've checked / had those checked at least twice - one shop told me they were worn but not the cause of the slack - which they thot was coming from the final drive ( although they wanted to replace them ($1300) & just see if the slack got worse ! - I've had broken m m in other cars , this doesn't sound/feel like that . when I do the on/off the gas thing , it's very lightly - just enough to engage from a coast - I don't think it's enough to rock the motor even the mounts were bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts