Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 EX-L - Dark Amber Metallic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Pilot, a 2014 EX-L with 97K miles, and I expect to have the vehicle delivered in a few days. The dealer is about 5 hours away, so the deal was done long distance. The vehicle is a 1-owner car, the body and paint is in excellent condition, and the interior is immaculate, according to the auto body guy I sent to inspect the vehicle.

The vehicle was maintained for the last 4 years at a dealer, but I plan to get a baseline maintenance level by having my local mechanie do the following:
  • all fluids - check/replace
  • air filters - check/replace
  • clean cabin rear blower motor screen
  • plugs - check/replace
  • timing belt & alternator- replace
  • serpentine belt & tensioner - check/replace
  • battery & ground cable - check/replace
  • spark plugs - check/replace
  • intake manifold cover - inspect
  • check/adjust valve clearance
  • brake condition - adjust parking brake
  • check condition of struts and suspension components
Are there any other items I should add to the list?

I'm very happy to get this vehicle and join the Piloteers club!

Dane

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,439 Posts
Alternator should be good. Leave it . Its the water pump you should replace when you get to the Timing belt and tensioner

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,194 Posts
Welcome to the club. After you reach 50 posts, the member PlPl will send you how to do the secret handshake LOL

Congrats on your Pilot!

Valves are probably good too. Only way to know is check them though for sure. I doubt they're off much, if at all.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Welcome to the group! I think the secret handshake thing has transitioned to a toe-wave or something, in consideration of the times.

I'm a big believer in PM, and even new cars (very few of those in my history though...) get all the fluids and major wear items baselined at purchase unless there is good evidence that they aren't needed right away. I have my own hammer and metric crescent wrench though, so the costs are a bit less than having a dealer or commercial shop do those for me. Still one of the easiest ways to know exactly what's needed and exactly what and when it was done.

So congrats on your purchase and, again, welcome to the extinguished distinguished group here.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks dr bob!

I haven't purchased a set of graduated metric crescent wrenches yet, but my ambihelical hexnut pliers come in handy for all sorts of projects like this:

View attachment 147471
Nah....I built one of those before. Child's play.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Thanks dr bob!

I haven't purchased a set of graduated metric crescent wrenches yet, but my ambihelical hexnut pliers come in handy for all sorts of projects like this:

View attachment 147471
I've walked past those at the exotic tools store, but so far none of the toys have need of one. Yet... So far, getting the fine adjustments just right has not been a problem with the 609.6mm easy-fit adjustable wrench. That, along with the 4,535.9237gr tapping mallette, occupy the two prominent spots in the tool bucket.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,308 Posts
If your nice 2014 Pilot were mine, I'd disable the VCM. I use S-VCM.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,308 Posts
@dr bob @Nail Grease What about spark plug wires? My inclination is to replace them along with the plugs.
Not like the old days. Should last the lifetime of the vehicle unless some unwanted critter decide to take up residency.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Coil-on-plug these days, as NG shared.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Sounds like you got a great Pilot with all of the PM done... with VCM added you should have an excellent and affordable to maintain vehicle until your next timing belt service.

Post up some pics!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.