Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership called and said all my options were installed except the air deflector and the wood trim.

Seems the wood trim isn't in. Its on back-order or something. Has anyone heard this? I'm getting kind of a bad feeling here...

...has anyone heard if the wood-trim is on back-order or otherwise unavailable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
copperpoppy said:
My dealership called and said all my options were installed except the air deflector and the wood trim.

Seems the wood trim isn't in. Its on back-order or something. Has anyone heard this? I'm getting kind of a bad feeling here...

...has anyone heard if the wood-trim is on back-order or otherwise unavailable?
Hey copperpoppy, sounds like you're going through some separation anxiety! :rolleyes:

I talked to Tim a couple of weeks ago, and he said that he didn't have any of the wood-trim pieces in stock, but they were readily available at that time from Honda. Before I left for vacation, I confirmed my order, and he said it wouldn't be a problem having everything ready for when I got back (last week).

I just paid for everything on Friday, and he didn't indicate that anything was out of stock. He said that everything should be shipping out on Monday, so I'm assuming that includes the wood-trim too. Maybe I'll find out differently on Monday, when he finally gets everything together?

By the way, what pieces are you getting? I ordered the dash, interior and RES kits. I think I counted something like 15 pieces all together, or something like that. Looking at the saddle interior, I think I'm really going to need something like the wood-trim to break things up a little bit. Its the first interior for me in this color, so I think its going to take some getting used to.

I'll let you know if I hear anything from Tim about the wood-trim pieces not being in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Wood Trim on Back-Order???

SoapPlant said:
Hey copperpoppy, sounds like you're going through some separation anxiety! :rolleyes:
I wish I was. I haven't actually taken delivery of her yet. My dealer is a bit far from me, so I went down there to order it and pay for it, and then left her there to get her accessories installed. They just notified me this morning that all the accessories I ordered (except the wood and the air deflector) were installed... and she was ready for pick-up.

By the way, what pieces are you getting? [/QUOTE]

I wanted just the dash trim. Truthfully though, I think it was Threadhead that was talking about a company out here in Arizona that offers the full kit for much less. Its not Honda but, it was nice. I'm toying with the idea. :)

I'll let you know if I hear anything from Tim about the wood-trim pieces not being in stock. [/QUOTE]

Yes, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Exotic Wood Dash is based here in Scottsdale, in the airpark. They have both real and fake wood kits. The Honda kit is fake. Not that fake is bad in any way, they use fake on the MDX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Threadhead said:
Exotic Wood Dash is based here in Scottsdale, in the airpark. They have both real and fake wood kits. The Honda kit is fake. Not that fake is bad in any way, they use fake on the MDX.
Thank you. :) Did you use them or know of anyone who has?

I *REALLY* am leaning toward doing this myself.

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
copperpoppy said:
Did you use them or know of anyone who has?
I *REALLY* am leaning toward doing this myself.
I have not used them, but several MDX'ers have and they seemed to be very pleased. The greatest benefits are that you have several choices of woods, and the kits come with more pieces than OEM.

Installation is no different than the OEM, just peel and stick. Go slowly and you should have any problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Threadhead said:

I have not used them, but several MDX'ers have and they seemed to be very pleased. The greatest benefits are that you have several choices of woods, and the kits come with more pieces than OEM.

Installation is no different than the OEM, just peel and stick. Go slowly and you should have any problem.
Hey Threadhead, just one minor note on the "more pieces" comment. "More pieces" doesn't always necessarily mean "more coverage", depending on what your preferences are. I know you didn't imply "more coverage" in your comments, but I thought it would just be a good point to bring this up.

Assuming you're purchasing the Honda dash and interior kits, you will be getting 14 total pieces. With the aftermarket wood kits (I'm speaking only of wooddash.com and exoticwooddash.com) you also get 14 pieces, but its not a piece-for-piece match.

It appears that the aftermarket kits have significantly more coverage on the center console (eg. radio, climate control, etc.) than the Honda kit, but the Honda kit comes with the meter trim (around instrument cluster), the third row armrests, and the rear climate control console, while the basic aftermarkets don't.

Personally for me, I thought the center console was a bit overdone with the aftermarkets, although I didn't have to attach all of the pieces if I didn't want to. But I thought the lack of the third row armrests and meter trim (instrument cluster) in the basic aftermarket, made the look inconsistent, and I really wanted the rear climate control console coverage. I'm looking to just break up the saddle interior a little - not cover it all up! :rolleyes:

Obviously the full 34 piece aftermarket coverage would have resolved the meter trim (instrument cluster) and third row armrest problem, in addition to providing even greater coverage, but it still looks like the rear climate control console is still lacking with the aftermarket kits, and this was a piece I really wanted.

Of course, I could also try to match the wood colors from both the aftermarket and Honda kits, and come up with a solution, but in addition to concerns about matching the exact colors, it seems like the aftermarket are thinner than the Honda, so I thought that might create an inconsistent look also. Plus it seemed like too much money to spend, to buy a lot of duplicate pieces just to get the rear climate control console piece. Plus I'm not really confident about the possibilities of an exact color match. It would be nice if you could just purchase certain pieces if you could get the color match.

Just my thought process for my particular situation. Maybe it will be helpful for those others considering the wood-trim? And then again, maybe it won't! :p

Maybe as some others try the different options, I'll be able to come up with a perfect solution?

I agree with you on the part about color choices with aftermarket though, and I'm definitely with you on the installation too! With a little care and a steady hand, there shouldn't be any major install problems.

:32:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Excellent, excellent points, SoapPlant.

I will try to stop by ExoticWoodDash this week as the place I had my tint done is just a couple doors down. Need to have a window redone. I'll give a report on what I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hondacuraworld said:
I dunno what your dealer's talking about. American Honda shows 285 wood dash trim kits on hand :confused:
Thanks Tim. Ya know ... I just had a feelin' ... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
SoapPlant said:


Hey Threadhead, just one minor note on the "more pieces" comment. "More pieces" doesn't always necessarily mean "more coverage", depending on what your preferences are. I know you didn't imply "more coverage" in your comments, but I thought it would just be a good point to bring this up.

Assuming you're purchasing the Honda dash and interior kits, you will be getting 14 total pieces. With the aftermarket wood kits (I'm speaking only of wooddash.com and exoticwooddash.com) you also get 14 pieces, but its not a piece-for-piece match.

It appears that the aftermarket kits have significantly more coverage on the center console (eg. radio, climate control, etc.) than the Honda kit, but the Honda kit comes with the meter trim (around instrument cluster), the third row armrests, and the rear climate control console, while the basic aftermarkets don't.

Personally for me, I thought the center console was a bit overdone with the aftermarkets, although I didn't have to attach all of the pieces if I didn't want to. But I thought the lack of the third row armrests and meter trim (instrument cluster) in the basic aftermarket, made the look inconsistent, and I really wanted the rear climate control console coverage. I'm looking to just break up the saddle interior a little - not cover it all up! :rolleyes:

Obviously the full 34 piece aftermarket coverage would have resolved the meter trim (instrument cluster) and third row armrest problem, in addition to providing even greater coverage, but it still looks like the rear climate control console is still lacking with the aftermarket kits, and this was a piece I really wanted.

Of course, I could also try to match the wood colors from both the aftermarket and Honda kits, and come up with a solution, but in addition to concerns about matching the exact colors, it seems like the aftermarket are thinner than the Honda, so I thought that might create an inconsistent look also. Plus it seemed like too much money to spend, to buy a lot of duplicate pieces just to get the rear climate control console piece. Plus I'm not really confident about the possibilities of an exact color match. It would be nice if you could just purchase certain pieces if you could get the color match.

Just my thought process for my particular situation. Maybe it will be helpful for those others considering the wood-trim? And then again, maybe it won't! :p

Maybe as some others try the different options, I'll be able to come up with a perfect solution?

I agree with you on the part about color choices with aftermarket though, and I'm definitely with you on the installation too! With a little care and a steady hand, there shouldn't be any major install problems.

:32:
I also forgot to mention that there is no RES coverage with the aftermarket kits, whereas Honda offers a RES wood trim piece.

Gosh, feels good to get that off my chest! Couldn't sleep a wink last night, knowing that I forgot to mention that!

:21:

I'm also not exactly sure if all the pieces that come with the aftermarket kit cover the NAVI, but Honda does offer a NAVI trim piece...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Wood-Grain Trim for RES

Well, I received some of my wood-grain trim from Tim at HAW today - just the RES panel arrived today. Sounds like both the dash and interior kits shipped today and should be here by Friday.

I took a picture of the RES piece, both front and back, so everyone could get an idea of the color, and also the adhesive strips on the back. I took the photo without any flash, so that the colors were as true as possible. I'll snap some photos of the other pieces when they come in.

One note is that you'll notice in this photo that you can see the adhesive tape right through the piece. That's an indicator of how thick/thin it is, however its not flimsy by any means - it holds its shape nice and firm. I placed my hand directly under it, flush with the trim, and I wasn't able to see the adhesive tape through it. That is how is should look when installed. I think it was just a matter of the amount of light underneath it...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Here is a photo of the back side of the RES wood-grain trim panel, showing the adhesive used to mount the piece...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Anyone check ebay lately......

Whole set of fake wood trim for 03 pilot is only cost $145.....

Why settle with honda fake wood trim which cost you more than $350 for the whole set if you can get a similar fake wood trim for less than $150.

You even have a choice to choose from several style...

:2:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top