Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone has had the wood steering wheel installed in their Pilot. Ours should be arriving by the end of the month and we are trying to decide what options we will be having installed.

My husband really wants the wood steering wheel. He thinks that the leather on his steering wheel in his '97 Passat has not worn well. I think the price tag for the steering wheel is steep, but he is willing to "dish out the big bucks" for it, but I am wondering how it looks. We are also going to get the wood trim installed as well, so everything should coordinate nicely.

Does anyone have any opinions on this matter?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am thinking of getting this option as well -- I did see it "in person"
on my test drive vehicle, and it did look and feel nice. I do wonder
if it is in fact real food, given that the rest of the "wood grain" kit
is plastic. But for this kind of money, the wheel better be the real
thing. Still have not decided though wether to get the rest of the
kit from Honda or from an aftermarket. Opinions welcome:21:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can't see the value

Keep in mind that while an upgrade from the LX steering wheel to a wood wheel might be a big improvement, the upgrade from an EX leather-wrapped wheel to the wood wheel is not as big of a deal. At the point where you are speanding nearly/about $500 (right?) it just seems to me like the law of diminishing returns is really being felt here. I mean the leather wrapped wheel is really nice. How much difference could a wood wheel make to your new car experience? :rolleyes:

By the time you are spending that kind of money on a few extras, you are getting very close to buying an MDX (which as of a few weeks ago, were beginning to be discounted--at least in these parts) with a 4 year warranty and all of the cache of the Acura label.

Of course, in my book, a big drawback (perhaps the only drawbackl) to the MDX interior was the plastic wood. In my opinion, it makes the MDX look like a poser-lux instead of the real thing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh Well

Buying the MDX is not an option for me. I guess I have a peculiar
taste (for this board anyway), but I think MDX is pretty ugly. Someone
(Edmund's) made a comparison of MDX's front styling to Jack Nicolson's
smile in The Shining. I think it was right on. I've owned
Acuras for 9 years, mind you, so I am not an Acura basher by any
stretch, but I think trying to make an SUV look "sporty" or "sexy", which
is what Acura tried to do, is an exercise in futility. I am only aware
of one successful attempt -- an X5. All the best SUV's in the world are
boxy -- take the G500, Range, Land Cruiser, e.t.c. all w/o any sacrifice
of their image or any trouble in marketing.

As far as the wood st. wheel concerns, true, it is not cheap. But
think about it this way -- one of the biggest (and few) complains
about Pilot (and Honda in general) interior styling is "blandness", lack of
spice. I can not think of a better way to spice it up then adding some
natural (ideally) wood to it. And, btw, the wood does feel awesome in your
hands, so, since your hands and your rear are the only two contact
points between you and your brand new prized possession, why not take
care of both of them.
:27:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do in fact like the wood trim, both on the steering wheel and the accents. I tried to talk the wife into the wheel at least......no dice. I will in fact say that I have never had a wood steering wheel, so I don't know how I would like the feel of it over time. I am very happy with the leather. But, as you said, it is a nice way to spice it up and give it a little class. Good luck, and get what makes you happy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts