Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 pilot won't start. Battery seems good and I get a clicking noise when trying to start. Right before this was driving home and entertainment system asked for radio code. Not sure if it is the starter or maybe a faulty wire somewhere. Anyone have any ideas. I'm hoping the radio code is telling.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How do batteries "seem good"? The first thing you always do in a situation like this is jump the car with a good battery.

Or if battery is more than 3-yrs old (or the car sits a lot), I'd just replace the battery to being with. They're relatively cheap, easy to replace and prone to failure.

- Mark

·
Registered
586 Posts
Probably a bad battery as @markjenn suggests, but you should also check the cables for corrosion and tightness. Most auto parts store will do a free battery and charging system diagnosis. Radio code means the car lost power at some point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do batteries "seem good"? The first thing you always do in a situation like this is jump the car with a good battery.

Or if battery is more than 3-yrs old (or the car sits a lot), I'd just replace the battery to being with. They're relatively cheap, easy to replace and prone to failure.

- Mark
Battery is less than three years old. All lights, etc. work just fine. Tried to jump it for over twenty minutes. Just getting a click. It would at least chug a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2011 pilot won't start. Battery seems good and I get a clicking noise when trying to start. Right before this was driving home and entertainment system asked for radio code. Not sure if it is the starter or maybe a faulty wire somewhere. Anyone have any ideas. I'm hoping the radio code is telling.
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will take the battery to store to get it checked.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The loss of power to the radio points towards a bad or intermittent cable/connection. Recheck battery clamps, connection at starter, ground connections (there's more than one), and cable corrosion.

Try hooking up a battery charger for a few hours. A good charger will even tell you if the battery is taking a charge. If you still get no crank with a good battery, and the cables are good, then the starter relay or starter itself is the next place to look.

If a new battery seems to fix the problem, do a voltage check on the charging system to verify that the alternator is doing it's job. Battery and alternator problems are often linked. A weak alternator can kill the battery over time, and a weak battery can overstress the alternator as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The loss of power to the radio points towards a bad or intermittent cable/connection. Recheck battery clamps, connection at starter, ground connections (there's more than one), and cable corrosion.

Try hooking up a battery charger for a few hours. A good charger will even tell you if the battery is taking a charge. If you still get no crank with a good battery, and the cables are good, then the starter relay or starter itself is the next place to look.

If a new battery seems to fix the problem, do a voltage check on the charging system to verify that the alternator is doing it's job. Battery and alternator problems are often linked. A weak alternator can kill the battery over time, and a weak battery can overstress the alternator as well.
Thanks, it seems like we have had to replace the battery a couple times over the past six years or so. That might point to what you are saying. Hoping its the cables and not something more expensive!!
So I took the battery to the auto parts store and it was bad. Seems like I keep getting batteries so I'm thinking something is wrong with the alternator or something. The battery was less than three years old but not by a lot. Gonna take my care to the store later so they can test the alternator however i'm pretty sure Honda did that last time I had to replace my battery.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm a bit of a skeptic about auto parts stores. If your battery is even slightly marginal, they are going to sell you a new one. Service writers at the dealership went to the same school. When in doubt, sell,sell,sell. And if it didn't really fix the root problem, they get another bite at your wallet when you come back! As long as they have a good story to tell the customer.

Get yourself a decent "smart" battery charger. They are not that expensive. Mine will test the battery and tell you if it's faulty, it will charge it up and automatically shut off, and there is also a function that checks out if the alternator is ok.

Also get a decent multimeter. They are not expensive, and even if you only use the voltmeter function, you will be able to check your alternator out easily. Battery voltage while the engine idles should be 14 to 14.5 volts. Less than that indicates a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I'm a bit of a skeptic about auto parts stores. If your battery is even slightly marginal, they are going to sell you a new one. Service writers at the dealership went to the same school. When in doubt, sell,sell,sell. And if it didn't really fix the root problem, they get another bite at your wallet when you come back! As long as they have a good story to tell the customer.

Get yourself a decent "smart" battery charger. They are not that expensive. Mine will test the battery and tell you if it's faulty, it will charge it up and automatically shut off, and there is also a function that checks out if the alternator is ok.

Also get a decent multimeter. They are not expensive, and even if you only use the voltmeter function, you will be able to check your alternator out easily. Battery voltage while the engine idles should be 14 to 14.5 volts. Less than that indicates a problem.
Don't forget to get a good load tester as well. Decent battery chargers are only good for testing shot batteries. The only way to truly test a batter is to put a load on it. This is what I chose. Any decent mechanics shop, parts house or dealer uses the same kind of thing to check a battery.

·
Registered
586 Posts
So I took the battery to the auto parts store and it was bad. Seems like I keep getting batteries so I'm thinking something is wrong with the alternator or something. The battery was less than three years old but not by a lot. Gonna take my care to the store later so they can test the alternator however i'm pretty sure Honda did that last time I had to replace my battery.
Sounds like a plan. Was the battery covered under warranty replacement plan?

Not sure where you live, but here in FL car batteries seem to last about 3 year. I have had them go after just 2 years before. Hotter climates will eat up batteries quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Don't forget to get a good load tester as well. Decent battery chargers are only good for testing shot batteries. The only way to truly test a batter is to put a load on it. This is what I chose. Any decent mechanics shop, parts house or dealer uses the same kind of thing to check a battery.
Thanks. I'll definitely look into one so I can use it on my motorcycle as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts