Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to you who came before me, especially those who responded to this thread. It was a very pleasant experience to buy the beautiful Sagebrush Pilot for my wife. I couldn't believe that we got $1,600 below MSRP at a N. CA dealership, no less. I don't know if the moderator allows the name of the dealership to be posted here. The sales people treated us (our 2 & 5 y.o. included) so well that we almost feel guilty for getting such a good deal.

I sent 4 email out to the local dealerships, as recommended by several members here. Everyone responded within the same day. 3 of them gave me their 'best prices'. I called the one with lowest price first and received a further discount. The Internet manager of the 2nd dealership I called said that they have a lot more Pilots than ever and gave me a much better deal than the 1st dealership. Armed with such a good deal, I was dumfounded when the Internet manager of the 3rd dealership told me that he would beat it by $100. Our conversation lasted no longer than 30 seconds. This dealership is only a couple of miles from us, much closer than the one with the 2nd best offer. I didn't bother to call the 4th dealership on my list.

The next afternoon, I went to see the salesman and saw 2 Sagebrush Pilots at the entrance. I asked him if I could change my mind about the color, thinking that we had a good deal because nobody wants the Sagebrush. To my surprise, he said that we could pick any of the colors they have in the EX-L model in stock. We could even pick the Sandstone that's due to arrive that afternoon, for the same price! My wife loves the Sagebrush.

We got some discounts on the accessories and a free oil change. I told them that my wife is anxious to drive the new toy. They installed all accessories, including the lower trim, fog lights, tow pkg, running board, mirror, crossbars, and splash guards by early next day. The salesman talked the tech into staying overtime the night before! The only thing we didn't like was the $500 markup on the HondaCare extended warranty, offered by the finance person. We declined.

One thing worries me a little. There is a minor sag on the chair after my wife drove the car home. She weighs less than 125 lbs. It could be just psychological after reading so much about the notorious sag.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My seat's leather looked a little stretched after my drive home too! Anyway....I bought mine the same way. I emailed dealers and got my best price. I origionally ordered Sandstone but when I saw a SageBrush called to change the order. I love that color!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
same-o, BUT.......

Pretty much the same process I followed when I bought mine. I contacted virtually every dealer in Colorado, several in southern Wyoming and western Nebraska and a few others. Eventually bought from the dealer in Laramie - a little over an hour drive from my home.

I too have a bit of the "sag". It was quite pronounced when we returned from our recent 3200 mile trip, but now seems to be back to "normal sag". :28:

The Sage is very pretty - excellent choice!:29: We fell for the Sandstone! :awais:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
luvflix said:
Thanks to you who came before me, especially those who responded to this thread. It was a very pleasant experience to buy the beautiful Sagebrush Pilot for my wife. I couldn't believe that we got $1,600 below MSRP at a N. CA dealership, no less. I don't know if the moderator allows the name of the dealership to be posted here. The sales people treated us (our 2 & 5 y.o. included) so well that we almost feel guilty for getting such a good deal...
Here's your chance to rate your Dealer. Go to the "Dealer Rating" menu on the forum menu bar or click this link to go there directly. Congratulations on your good purchase. :)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
congratulations...its always refreshing reading good buying experience. Hey I can understand dealerships wanting to make money....but atleast treat the customer right and dont take them for a fool:D :D :D

check out hondawarranty.com for warranties from honda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad that many others have good experience with their Pilot purchase as well. Now that the availability has improved, I hope the days of paying MRSP or mark-up's on accessories are gone.

Could someone tell me when I have to decide on the Honda extended warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
luvflix said:

Could someone tell me when I have to decide on the Honda extended warranty?

Thanks!
anytime before your original warranty runs out...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just wanted to add my pleasurable Pilot purchasing experience. Thru contless hours reading many forums and Edmunds I was armed and dangerous with great information. To make a long story short I called 6-7 dealerships and I said that I will purchase a vehicle this weekend from the first dealer who can meet my price. Some laughed, and others said no thanks but Bill Page Honda in Fairfax came to the rescue.

I told them to fax me a purchase order for the exact vehicle that I wanted (Redrock Pearl EX-L) and I would provide a $500 refundable security deposit to hold it and let them know that I was serious. This was all done within 1hr. How's that for service!! My wife and I had just got back in town so we were suffering from jetlag and I asked my sales person Chin Yang if if would be okay to come in on Sun.

They had the vehicle prepped and ready and although the deal still took 4hrs (EOM and she was working multiple deals) it was still a pleasurable experience. My wife is now the proud owner of a Redrock Pearl EX-L and I'm on the prowl for some accesories for her which is what led me to this board. I wish I knew about it before my purchase.

I know you're all asking what was the price. Well how about $2,200 under MSRP and I got a Honda Care warranty thrown in for $764 which doubled our warranty to 6yrs and 72k miles. Let me know what you guys think? Did I do okay?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mpressive said:
Let me know what you guys think? Did I do okay?
Yeah, you can say you "cleaned house".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:

Yeah, you can say you "cleaned house".
Thanks!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Extended warranty

I didn't purchase an extended warranty, however, my dealership offers a program where you can extend thru 110,000 miles if you follow their maintenance program. All work would have to be performed by them to cover you from the 36,000 to 110,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice Work

Great job on the purchase! I actually emailed nearly every dealer within 400 miles. I ended up getting the best price from a dealer about 200 miles away. They met me half way to deliver the vehicle. The most pleasant part of the experience for me was hearing the local dealers tell me I would never get the deal I claimed to be offered (which was ~$2000 < MSRP), and now we're going on month 4 of ownership. There will always be someone willing to deal, it's just nice when it's close to home as in your case.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mpressive said:
I just wanted to add my pleasurable Pilot purchasing experience. Thru contless hours reading many forums and Edmunds I was armed and dangerous with great information. To make a long story short I called 6-7 dealerships and I said that I will purchase a vehicle this weekend from the first dealer who can meet my price. Some laughed, and others said no thanks but Bill Page Honda in Fairfax came to the rescue.

Mpressive, you definitely did more than OK, based on my experience.

Would you mind me asking if you checked out our local Honda dealership, Criswell? The fact you ended up in Fairfax tells me Criswell wasn't ready to offer much of a deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mpressive,

That's an amazing deal. It was posts like these that led me to have the info and courage to ask for the price I wanted. Of course, supply and demand plays a very important role.

We checked with a few MDX dealers. They have little interest in giving any discount despite the fact that MDX came out 2 yrs before the Pilot. It's like a conspiracy because there are a lot less Acura dealerships than Honda and there are less MDX produced.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ziploc said:

Mpressive, you definitely did more than OK, based on my experience.

Would you mind me asking if you checked out our local Honda dealership, Criswell? The fact you ended up in Fairfax tells me Criswell wasn't ready to offer much of a deal.
Ziplock,

Great to hear from you!! Chriswell was the first place I checked. The salesman that I talked to didn't know didly about the vehicle and they didn't have any in stock. I think I was able to get the deal I got for several reasons: 1) End of Month - I used to sell cars and I can tell you, you will be amazed what salesman will do to hit some bonus or win a contest 2) They had the vehicle in stock that we wanted and I pretended that I couldn't care less what color. Never show that you're emotionally attached or they will know that they got ya!! 3) The economy and the war definitely have slowed things down somewhat. When the Pilot first came out you were hard pressed to find one on the lot now they only had 3-4 but I called until I found a dealer that wanted to deal. 4) Alot of luck but finding a dealer who will at least try to meet you half way. I told them that I posted on several forums (don't know if that made a difference) and that I would brag about the service that I received. From the sales manager to my salesperson, to the Finance dept. it was a pleasurable experience. Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mpressive said:

Ziplock,

Great to hear from you!! Chriswell was the first place I checked. The salesman that I talked to didn't know didly about the vehicle and they didn't have any in stock. I think I was able to get the deal I got for several reasons: 1) End of Month - I used to sell cars and I can tell you, you will be amazed what salesman will do to hit some bonus or win a contest 2) They had the vehicle in stock that we wanted and I pretended that I couldn't care less what color. Never show that you're emotionally attached or they will know that they got ya!! 3) The economy and the war definitely have slowed things down somewhat. When the Pilot first came out you were hard pressed to find one on the lot now they only had 3-4 but I called until I found a dealer that wanted to deal. 4) Alot of luck but finding a dealer who will at least try to meet you half way. I told them that I posted on several forums (don't know if that made a difference) and that I would brag about the service that I received. From the sales manager to my salesperson, to the Finance dept. it was a pleasurable experience. Hope that helps!!
Very interesting, Mpressive,,,,thanks for sharing your experience. You know, the salesman I dealt with at Criswell also didn't know squat about the Pilot. I ended up pointing the features out to him. But, it was his first week on the job, so maybe an allowance can be made.

Where do you plan to have your servicing done?

·
Registered
45 Posts
luvflix said:
Mpressive,

That's an amazing deal. It was posts like these that led me to have the info and courage to ask for the price I wanted. Of course, supply and demand plays a very important role.

We checked with a few MDX dealers. They have little interest in giving any discount despite the fact that MDX came out 2 yrs before the Pilot. It's like a conspiracy because there are a lot less Acura dealerships than Honda and there are less MDX produced.
Give them time!! Just like anything else Acura will get plenty competition in my book from the VW Touareg and Volvo XC90 once people start seeing them on the road. If these two vehicles can match the purchasing experience of buying an Acura and follow-up with great service and support watch out. They will start dealing. I remember when the TL came out. My wife wanted one so bad but they weren't even thinking about dealing. Go by your local dealership now and check out how many TL's are backed up. It's all about timing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ziploc said:

Very interesting, Mpressive,,,,thanks for sharing your experience. You know, the salesman I dealt with at Criswell also didn't know squat about the Pilot. I ended up pointing the features out to him. But, it was his first week on the job, so maybe an allowance can be made.

Where do you plan to have your servicing done?
I will definitely take our vehicle to Chriswell. They have beautiful state of the art service facility so I will let them service my BILL PAGE HONDA. :) My salesperson offered 10% of parts and labor installation which isn't worth my travel time down to Fairfax when Chriswell is around the corner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I looked at the Volvo XC90. I know Motor Trend rated it there top SUV, but to me it looks like an oversized station wagon. At the $50k price range, the BMW X5 seems more attractive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts