Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think some stupid a** got to close and it's caused by a truck mirror ... Doesn't matter at this point .. any tricks on how to fix this dent ? I'm thinking tackling it from the inside panel.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Calling that a dent is like calling this a wrinkle in the top.

Be that as it may, yes your best bet is to work from the inside. You're going to have to work it out as much as possible. That's going to take a little more than a couple of hammers. I'm sure you know the crease is not going to come out too well, especially at both ends, unless you have the proper tools. Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully the DA ( think Red Foreman) that did this will have a bus load of karma dropped on them.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I know i'm so pissed at this point ..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Know anyone with a small fender roller? Once you get it pushed out the best you can it could help smooth the crease.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I like to DIY but I'd pay a pro to fix this if I wanted it to look right.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to DIY but I'd pay a pro to fix this if I wanted it to look right.
I'm thinking about that ..but being slow right now for a pay check ..it may have to wait a while ..it bugs the hell out of me I been outside bout 20 times tonight to look at it. lol

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
That’s not cool. I’ve got nothing to offer except best wishes that you’re able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to see what something like will run me .. right now the boss ordered the band aid sticker for the time being LOL

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Srat with a PDR 'expert", but know that the crease will be there forever and eventually need paint. A body shop will drill, pull, filler, paint. Get the metal closer with the PDR guy, minimize filler, and the result will be a little better.

Hit and run is like horse thievin'. Fair trial and shooting seems appropriate.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I'm thinking about that ..but being slow right now for a pay check ..it may have to wait a while ..it bugs the hell out of me I been outside bout 20 times tonight to look at it. lol
Just went through this on my BMW. Got hit by flying debris in a really difficult spot to repair. It's very upsetting.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts

Mine wasn't as bent as yours, but the scratches were pretty deep on my first Pilot ding. A good PDR guy can be a real artiste, it turns out. Glad I went that route.

Hopefully the DA ( think Red Foreman) that did this will have a bus load of karma dropped on them.
Hit and run is like horse thievin'. Fair trial and shooting seems appropriate.
Red Forman would say shootin's too good for what the scum who did this deserves.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Man this sucks. People are such scumbags, they really deserve a good ass whipping.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Sorry about that! It seems like every Pilot I see has a dent in that same general area. I'd leave it, but if you wanted to get it fixed just go to a couple of body shops and get quotes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know this will sound ridiculous, but I've been very surprised a couple of times at how much difference touch-up and buff can make on pretty nasty gouges. I should have taken pictures, but I've got wrinkled steel that was down to bare metal that I have to point out before people notice.

If you pick off all the flakes on the bottom left corner and get back to solid paint, you can spot touch it pretty easily. Wet sand with 600 grit on a soft block. Buffing will reduce the scrapes in the crease, too. It won't be a fix, but the spots and gaps that your eye jumps to will be reduced.

Nail Grease - Same thing with the ding in the Beemer. Cleaning it up, then touching in some primer and paint to smooth the color out will make it a lot harder to see unless you're looking closely.

Whether you clean it up as a temporary or not, if you want to get it back to invisible I agree that this is a job for a pro. You would learn a lot about bodywork and paint by tackling this, but decent tools and supplies will cost more than a good shop will charge you to make it go away.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I know this will sound ridiculous, but I've been very surprised a couple of times at how much difference touch-up and buff can make on pretty nasty gouges. I should have taken pictures, but I've got wrinkled steel that was down to bare metal that I have to point out before people notice.

If you pick off all the flakes on the bottom left corner and get back to solid paint, you can spot touch it pretty easily. Wet sand with 600 grit on a soft block. Buffing will reduce the scrapes in the crease, too. It won't be a fix, but the spots and gaps that your eye jumps to will be reduced.

Nail Grease - Same thing with the ding in the Beemer. Cleaning it up, then touching in some primer and paint to smooth the color out will make it a lot harder to see unless you're looking closely.

Whether you clean it up as a temporary or not, if you want to get it back to invisible I agree that this is a job for a pro. You would learn a lot about bodywork and paint by tackling this, but decent tools and supplies will cost more than a good shop will charge you to make it go away.
Did an insurance claim with my full coverage. $500 deductible. ☹

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
FWIW... Neighbor had a parking-lot hit and run, and his carrier treated it as a "comprehensive" rather than a "collision" coverage event. OOP was a couple $hundred vs. his $1k collision deductible. Read your coverage detail carefully and it may not hurt so much.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 20 of 37 Posts