Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research, Wix Oil Filter 51334 has the correct thread size, gasket size, bypass valve specs etc, as the slinder size filter recommended for our Pilot. The benefit would be a larger filtering surface area, and in my case, this filter will fit 8 of the 10 vehicles I service.
Any REAL objections, fears etc?

Recomended, Compare...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
No objections, your honor.
Very well, you may proceed.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running the 51334 for many years and never had an issue. I have probably gone through at least 3 cases of these.
Makes you wonder why they changed to a smaller filter, since this is what older Hondas used.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the beta ratio on the OEM Honda filter?
The only real difference is the surface space. Both filters will do the same job but larger would increase the life of the filter.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I always use the wix 57356XP. Amazon screwed up and was selling them for $7.30 cents a while back, so I loaded up on them and they were genuine. Been using WIX for years they are also rebranded as Napa.

XP has synthetic media - I'm a snob I only use synthetic oil and filters with synthetic media
Non Xp has - Enhanced Cellulose

·
Registered
289 Posts
It seems like I remember reading something years ago where the 51334 had a clearance issue on some model Honda but I can’t remember which one. For some reason I am thinking a small engine that goes in something like a Fit or Civic. But I can’t remember exactly what I read. I know I have used them on 04 Pilot, 01 CRV, 01, Accord, 96 Accord, and 2000-2004 RLs off the top of my head.
They may just recommend the small one for commonality of parts.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's smaller to keep it from rubbing on the LF tire when VCM busts the passenger motor mount next to it.
I'm thinking... your joking?

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
I've used it before. I do typically use Fram TG7317 but Napa is having a killer sale, so I bought Napa 0w20 FS and a Napa Platinum filter for the CRV. Will be changing the oil in a couple days.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By-pass valve setting-PSi: 8-11 and nominal micron rating are the same so whichever you get for the best price will work. One difference is the burst pressure-PSI....watch your RPMS at 8000 ?
8000 rpms would be extreme. Don't knows I ever came close to that.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
248 Posts
8000 rpms would be extreme. Don't knows I ever came close to that.
The only way to keep your valves clean is to rev it to 8k on cold starts. Carbon hates the higher rpms so it just falls right off. At least that’s what my grandpa used to tell me. He was always fixing his car, saying the previous guy never treated it like him and now he’s paying the price. 😂😂

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only way to keep your valves clean is to rev it to 8k on cold starts. Carbon hates the higher rpms so it just falls right off. At least that’s what my grandpa used to tell me. He was always fixing his car, saying the previous guy never treated it like him and now he’s paying the price. 😂😂
I'll just stick to long periods of 75mph driving, occasionally slipping into passing gear. That will have to do. 😁

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
517 Posts
I had read on one of the forums, maybe BITOG I think that the WIX XP did not perform as well for initial micron filtration. Part of the extended performance thing. I think comments on that it doesn't list on packaging anymore about that filtration like others like M1, Fram Ultra or regular WIX etc. but if you search you can find the data.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eh
I had read on one of the forums, maybe BITOG I think that the WIX XP did not perform as well for initial micron filtration. Part of the extended performance thing. I think comments on that it doesn't list on packaging anymore about that filtration like others like M1, Fram Ultra or regular WIX etc. but if you search you can find the data.
I figure a larger filter = longer life. So I will likely buy regular Wix 51334 for the Hondas. Funny thing is, I found another even larger Wix filter with the same specs, Wix 51344. It has a slightly larger diameter but length will not allow it to fit on any of my V6 Hondas. It will fit on my Nissan NV and Hyundai. You would definitely want to prefill these monsters.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 176 Posts