Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to be installing a new headunit and was thinking it would be nice to tap into the existing camera feed that goes to the little screen in the rearview mirror. Has anyone done this, or know where it runs? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not done it, but when looking into doing the same it seems the consensus was to run new wires from head unit to camera and just disconnect existing wires. Easier than trying to use existing wires as they run through the roof and into mirror, making it difficult to get to HU

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I figured they ran that way but was hoping otherwise. I'll live with the screen in the rearview...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would pick it up at the mirror connector. Leave power and reverse detect wires alone, just route video signal and video ground along the front pillar trim and into the dash.
A cable like this (6 ft might be not enough, but 10 will definitely work)

Hack off connector at one end and route it from HU to mirror.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks sounds great. Without being in the car its hard to visualize - How will I route the new cable from the mirror to the front pillar trim?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used to have a thread subscription to instructions on here that basically have those same instructions but with pictures. Unfortunately, it seems I've lost all of my subscriptions as part of the upgrade process. It was relatively simple to drop the overhead console to tap into those wires. Yes you need to route it under the headliner, A-pillar and dash but if you are also installing a microphone in that general area like I did then you would have to do it anyway.

I highly recommend a "tap" rather than cut. The OEM camera is beyond junk and can look really terrible on a head unit screen in some situations. Also, sometimes the sun washes out the head unit screen. It's really helpful to have the option to also continue to use the rear view screen if you need to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have a thread subscription to instructions on here that basically have those same instructions but with pictures. Unfortunately, it seems I've lost all of my subscriptions as part of the upgrade process. It was relatively simple to drop the overhead console to tap into those wires. Yes you need to route it under the headliner, A-pillar and dash but if you are also installing a microphone in that general area like I did then you would have to do it anyway.
Thanks, I'll try to find the thread with pictures, that would be great. Where exactly did you put your mic?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to find the thread with pictures, that would be great. Where exactly did you put your mic?
It's better explained by picture than words but I'm isolating for next couple of weeks...

The general location is indicated in attached pic. The mic that was supplied with my head unit has a ball that fits into a clip. I remove the clip to expose the ball. Using a drill bit that's half the diameter of the ball, I create a small hole in the headliner. Using a bit of elbow grease, force the ball through that opening. It'll pop through and hold just fine since the ball is larger than the hole. Make sure to position it in such a way that opening and closing the visor does not get in the way of the mic and the positioning of the mic is skewed slightly towards you. It works quite well in that position unless you have the sunroof open on the highway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Google site search to the rescue...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Google site search to the rescue...

Awesome, thanks. Did you have the grainy picture issue too if you left both the mirror and hu screens active?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Did you have the grainy picture issue too if you left both the mirror and hu screens active?
I do have a grainy picture on the head unit screen but I'm very certain it's due to quality of the stock camera. It was made for a very small and low resolution screen and just doesn't scale up well to the higher res and larger head unit screen. The rear view screen picture is as good after tapping as it was before tapping. I did use shielded RCA cable by the way and not just standard wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts