Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago I converted my rear end to LED eliminating all incandescent bulbs. I installed a resister behind the taillights so my turn signals wouldn't hyper-flash and all works well.

I have been wanting to convert the front turn signal/parking light bulb to LED but without a resister the turn signal hyper-flashes and with a resister the hazard Fues blows as soon as the turn signal is engaged and I cannot figure out why.

None of my modifications are permanent or hard wired as I like to make it so I can return the vehicle to stock easily, should the next owner want to do that. All mods are plug'n play.

A buddy of mine thinks the issue has to do with how my rear turn signal is wired apposed to the front turn signal. On the American Pilot, the turn signal doubles as a parking light both in the front and the rear. In the European Pilot, the front is turn signal/parking where the back is turn signal only. I do not know if this is causing the issue or not. If it is, does anyone have an idea of how I can get around it?

I appreciate the help.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,216 Posts
What make of bulbs? First guess is they are cheap Chinese made bulbs if they are plug and play with built in resisters. Read complaints from people about issues with those same style of bulbs both your issue and short bulb life due to heat build up. Heat build up is proabaly not an issue with turn signals. If you want to make that modification to LED you would probably be best served by making sure you have he right resister by putting in, inline resisters. They are simple to install.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sylvania ZEVO. I have them in the back for turn, tail, brake and backup and that is what I planned on using in the front. Resistor is one of those orange metal ones. The plug-n-play has a socket at one end mimicking the base of the bulb which is plugged into the OEM socket, with wires coming out, one wired to the resistor and the results wired to a replacement OEM socket for the LED.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,216 Posts
You may need to recheck your connection then. Does the front turn signal have a common and a function wire or two function wires?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has 3. Ground, one positive for parking and one positive for turn.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
If you aren't getting hyperflash with the rear LEDs and front incandescent, I would say the rears aren't the issue. Even more so if they are fed off of separate fuses and relays.

Maybe try a different resistor? Or try one of the newfangled LED bulbs that claim to be hyperflash free?

Edit: Also, those Euro tails are DEFINITELY part of the problem, please send them to me so I can figure out the problem and keep them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you aren't getting hyperflash with the rear LEDs and front incandescent, I would say the rears aren't the issue. Even more so if they are fed off of separate fuses and relays.

Maybe try a different resistor? Or try one of the newfangled LED bulbs that claim to be hyperflash free?

Edit: Also, those Euro tails are DEFINITELY part of the problem, please send them to me so I can figure out the problem and keep them.
LOL. I love your sense of humor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts