Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2016 Honda Pilot and I want to see if it has the Wiring harness quick connector. Can someone give me an approximate location for this? I'm pretty sure I don't have the towing package and currently no hitch is installed. Second question will the panel on the bumper need to come off, I'm good with it coming off if needed.
Thanks in advance all.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There is no towing package from the factory, only those installed by the dealer or the owner. However, the harness is there for the electrical.

I did a quick search on this forum for "tow hitch" and found many results about installing the hitch, the harness, using factory or aftermarket, etc.

Here one result which may help you and his is also a 2016.

Tow Hitch

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you check some online Honda parts sellers such as College Hills, Bernardi, etc they usually have a link showing installation instructions. Here is the result for the 2016 Pilot harness from College Hills.

2016 Tow Harness Installation

Reactions: knightjh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just installed the hitch and wiring harness about 2 weeks ago. In my opinion, OEM is the way to go - fits very well, is tucked up in the bumper and looks much better than aftermarket. I have found that Majestic Honda has the best prices on parts when you include shipping (OEM Honda Parts at Majestic Honda | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts) although you have to go elsewhere to get installation instructions - for some reason they don't post them. I paid a total of $449.14 for both including shipping, which may vary depending on how far you are from the east coast.

Installation wasn't too bad, but you need small hands to get back to the connector taped to the vehicle harness. ls973800 posted great links, but feel free to PM if you have other questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I popped off the cover where the emergency gas filler funnel is and this is behind there. Is this what would get unplugged and the harness plugs into? The black one...

·
Registered
67 Posts
No, it is way up there and is a 14 pin connector with nothing attached to is. I beleive it is a white connector. It was taped to the wire leading to the LR taillight I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it is way up there and is a white connector.
No I meant does the white connector from the harness plug into there? Or would the plug coming from the vehicle harness be white Sorry I'm not very good at mechanical stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No problem...I misunderstood.

I think the vehicle connector is also white. and it has nothing attached to it. You have to contort your arm funny to reach up in there to feel it - I could never see it unless I got a mirror and a light. And then you have to remove the tape that they used to attach it to the existing harness. I used a small razor blade and cut the tape by feel...what a pain!

I attached the instructions in case you don't have them...you're looking for a rectangular 14 pin connector. Step 7.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem...I misunderstood.

I think the vehicle connector is also white. and it has nothing attached to it. You have to contort your arm funny to reach up in there to feel it - I could never see it unless I got a mirror and a light. And then you have to remove the tape that they used to attach it to the existing harness. I used a small razor blade and cut the tape by feel...what a pain!

I attached the instructions in case you don't have them...you're looking for a rectangular 14 pin connector.
Perfect thank you. This is the reason I'm gonna pay someone to do it.. give me a computer I could fix it... Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks easier than it is in the instructions - there are a lot of wires to cram in the small area. But at least this way you know what they will be doing. It is just "plug-and-play", but the access issues make it a little tricky. Would have been very easy if the person in the factory had not done such a good job taping that connector up!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck getting it untaped from the vehicle harness. Someone at the factory did an exceptionally good job of taping!

And I believe that the same connector is used for the backup sensor accessory. The harness has "pass-thru" wires and another white connector.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is the same connector - only one white connector on the vehicle harness. If you read the instructions for the backup sensor, it mentions what you do when you do or do not have a trailer harness. The backup sensor wiring harness has an identical white male and female connector and some of the wires pass through to power the trailer harness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts