Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was another thread that included 2017 and 2018 models. The cplay2air seems to work with those years since the head unit is based on Android 4.2.2. The Pilot 2019 and 2020 are based on 5.1.1.

Please post here if you get a wireless car play device that works with the 2019 and 2020 pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does not work with 2020 pilot. I tried everything! it will not work with 2020 pilot. I tried it on friends ride (Kia) that has carplay it worked on his and since I got it working on his I thought oh let me update the firmware. well went thru that process but then after updating the firmware, it wouldn't work on his ride and still wouldn't work on mine. Which is a bummer I now have a usless device except a bulky usb cable.

For some reason on 2020 pilots it never gets to the prompting screen. and there support doesn't know what to do either. since cant get it to work they say send it back for a refund, minus my cost to send it back to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any luck with the Carlink 2.0? I’ve read that you can update the firmware somehow, but I cannot get connected to it via Bluetooth or anything. Anyone mess around with it yet?

- 2020 Pilot Touring

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just received an email from CPLAY2Air saying that they now support all Hondas including the 2020 Pilot. Anyone that already has the device parked in a corner willing to update to the latest firmware and give it a try? I ended up returning it months ago.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,945 Posts
Interesting, but what security does it use? Bluetooth is a short range but insecure connection and open wifi is just plain risky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as I know it works similarly to all devices built-in in cars that support wireless CarPlay, it uses Bluetooth to establish the initial connection and authenticate the phone into the WiFi access point that is created. So it’s not an open WiFi network anyone can join.

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
Authenticating the phone does not create a secure wifi connection. My skepticism comes from watching the videos and the FAQ's. No mention at all about entering any password, no setting up a secure hotspot connection, or any other securing of the connection. That ia why I asked. If you purchase one please let us know about the hook up and security aspects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just tried mine. How do you update the firmware if device didn't connect to carplay in the first place? It worked perfectly on my 2020 Acadia before trading it for the PIlot. It was great to see this update roll out to where it will work on the Pilot, but I don't have a vehicle that will recognize carplay with this device in order to download the firmware. Any work arounds?

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
I just tried mine. How do you update the firmware if device didn't connect to carplay in the first place? It worked perfectly on my 2020 Acadia before trading it for the PIlot. It was great to see this update roll out to where it will work on the Pilot, but I don't have a vehicle that will recognize carplay with this device in order to download the firmware. Any work arounds?
Contact Technical Support and see what they say. Surely you're not the first one to have this problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea contacted them a couple weeks ago via the online web submission and via FB messenger and no response to either. I had literally posted the device on FB market place to sell last week because I assumed it was hopeless. Now that there is hope, I can't figure out how to get the firmware on the device to be able to even try it. I just tried using the device in two of my co-workers vehicles and neither I guess are supported vehicles. You would think they would make it slightly less challenging to obtain updates :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a 6" long lighting cable. Just long enough to sit on the space below the USB port.
That's what I have been using as well, but it's still annoying having to pull my phone out of my pocket every time (because of this, I only use CarPlay for navigation. For music I just use Bluetooth). There is a very active thread on MacRumors where people post their experiences, and they talk about the process to update the firmware. I have been following for a few months now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So it got it to work... intermittently.
I finally heard back from them via FB messenger and they gave me the manual instructions on how to install via flash drive. It worked, my dongle updated and worked in the car. The only issue is that it’s a hit and miss. It works, then I shut off the car and restart and get hit with the message that I must connect via usb cord.
If I restart the car, unplug the dongle three or four times, enable and disable Bluetooth it will work again.
The company is responding almost instantly to my updates I am sending them. Sent them videos and they responded with things to try. Still not working 100% but gives me hope I’m almost there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are the instructions they sent via FB messenger. I downloaded the firmware as it was labeled in the instructions AND as it was by default. Just to be sure either way it got transferred. One additional thing to note is that as soon as it connected to CarPlay I immediately went to 192.168.50.2 on safari and there was another update that I went ahead and completed. Hope this helps!

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Yes, we now support all Honda 2016-2021 models.

The instructions to the manual firmware update for your adapter are below and you can watch this video for guidance as well:
1. Please download the firmware update file attached in this email and save it on a USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32) as "U2W_Update.img".
2. Plug CPLAY2air to USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
3. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
4. Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the red and blue LED stops blinking and you get a stationary red LED.
5. Please remove the USB flash drive from the adapter and unplug the adapter from the USB charger.
6. Please now plug the adapter into the USB/Carplay port of the car.
7. Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
8. When the Carplay reappears from your screen, you can enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.”

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

10.28 -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Matt,

Is the link for the file needed for the USB? I have the same problem as you as i purchased the unit but did not work on 2019 Pilot.

10.28 - [/QUOTE]

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Yes, we now support all Honda 2016-2021 models.

The instructions to the manual firmware update for your adapter are below and you can watch this video for guidance as well:
1. Please download the firmware update file attached in this email and save it on a USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32) as "U2W_Update.img".
2. Plug CPLAY2air to USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
3. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
4. Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the red and blue LED stops blinking and you get a stationary red LED.
5. Please remove the USB flash drive from the adapter and unplug the adapter from the USB charger.
6. Please now plug the adapter into the USB/Carplay port of the car.
7. Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
8. When the Carplay reappears from your screen, you can enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.”

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

10.28 - [/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts