Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you like using CarPlay but not the part of having to connect the phone via USB, I recommend https://carplay2air.com/

I am in no way affiliated with them, but I've had reservations about the product (it's not exactly Apple or Honda sanctioned), but it works as advertised and makes CarPlay infinitely more accessible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am surprised to see these are not more popular (never tried them so not sure how reliable they are). Considering Apple is expected to start shipping iPhones with no ports whatsoever within a couple of years, I wonder what the plan is for people that rely on (wired) CarPlay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for sharing I was looking for something like this as I dislike having to take my phone out of jacket etc for use CarPlay. I’ll report back after it arrives and I try it out.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looks interesting but I use Android. I am sure that there will be more similar products coming so will just have to wait.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks interesting but I use Android. I am sure that there will be more similar products coming so will just have to wait.
It has support for Android Auto too, but there are some caveats. You can email questions to the vendor, they’ve been responsive and helpful with me. The Pilot wasn’t a supported vehicle when I first heard about the device and when I inquired I was told they were just testing Hondas, and then followed up a couple of weeks later, once they were confident about the results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Being that it uses wifi once initially setup via bluetooth, does cellular data connectivity work on your iPhone? For example are you still able to receive emails, use GPS apps that rely on cellular connectivity, etc? I know prior to iOS 13 this was an issue if a phone connected to a wifi connected but did not have usable data connectivity via the connected wifi network.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It has support for Android Auto too, but there are some caveats. You can email questions to the vendor, they’ve been responsive and helpful with me. The Pilot wasn’t a supported vehicle when I first heard about the device and when I inquired I was told they were just testing Hondas, and then followed up a couple of weeks later, once they were confident about the results.
Thank you. I will send them an email with a few questions regarding the Android function. Sounds like they have pretty good customer care and follow up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
OK, I just sent them a few questions. I know it is a holiday period and I may not hear back from them for several days. Wanted to do it before I forgot about it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like the popular dongle brand Carlinkit has a model (CPC200-U2W) available that looks similar to the CarPlay2Air dongle.

Available on Amazon for $146 after coupon.
Available on Aliexpress for $130 after coupon.

There is a very long thread over on MacRumors that documents how this dongle and the CarPlay2Air dongle (same thing) have gone through a whole bunch of issues with updates over the past 4 months, but it appears that most everything has been ironed out within the last week or so. I will probably give it a try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can’t use car play via Bluetooth?
Only a few car brands support wireless CarPlay (i.e. luxury car brands). I have been reading a thread in MacRumors with over 800 responses talking about this dongle and it’s the exact same thing as the CarlinKit or even others that are starting to pop up with different names (same device, firmware... They just stamped a different name on it), and it looks like the latest update has finally fixed most of the issues everyone was reporting. I am planning on keeping an eye on it and eventually order one to test it myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being that it uses wifi once initially setup via bluetooth, does cellular data connectivity work on your iPhone? For example are you still able to receive emails, use GPS apps that rely on cellular connectivity, etc? I know prior to iOS 13 this was an issue if a phone connected to a wifi connected but did not have usable data connectivity via the connected wifi network.
Yes, it does. I've verified it just now. Wireless CarPlay is supported by Apple and it also uses WiFi. I suspect the device presents itself as a wireless CarPlay capable vehicle to the phone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only a few car brands support wireless CarPlay (i.e. luxury car brands). I have been reading a thread in MacRumors with over 800 responses talking about this dongle and it’s the exact same thing as the CarlinKit or even others that are starting to pop up with different names (same device, firmware... They just stamped a different name on it), and it looks like the latest update has finally fixed most of the issues everyone was reporting. I am planning on keeping an eye on it and eventually order one to test it myself.
My understanding is that wireless carplay always uses a combination of Bluetooth and WiFi, even for those vehicles which do have support for it.

I've monitored that other CarlinKit device and did not have a warm and fuzzy about it. With this other device it was the support I got before I even purchased it that was reassuring enough to bite the bullet. For something that seemed like a somewhat shady product from China, I'm quite content with what I got out of it. At $160 a pop, I expect they are making a killing on profits (electronic components being so cheap), to where they don't need to rip people off.

In the interest of full disclosure... There is a conflict between it and HondaHack. I've had to uninstall HondaHack to get the device to auto-connect on each startup. There might be a way to make the two coexist by adjusting HondaHack startup settings. CarPlay has almost all the features I got out of HondaHack anyway, so it wasn't really a negative to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally got mine after 3 weeks but it doesn't work. the Bluetooth part to connect to it doesn't trigger on. I tried different phones still no new Bluetooth signal to conenct to and The usb detects the device and asks to enable Iphone I do that, but then says carplay un available. The instructions say to search but I never get that prompting. I have emailed and messaged them so far no response... if don't hear from them soon will turn it over to CC company for dispute.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine came without instructions, and took a minute to get it configured. Since then I've asked for them and here they are. Hopefully it will help.

Setup
1. Turn on the Bluetooth and WiFi networks on your phone.
2. Make sure your phone is not connected to any other WiFi or Bluetooth networks and remove the hands-free connection from your phone and car system settings.
3. Plug the adapter into the CarPlay USB port.
4. Wait for the interface to appear on the screen.
5. Click the search button.
6. Select the phone you want to pair the adapter with (or connect via the Bluetooth displayed on the screen).
7. Select "Pair" on your phone when the notification appears.
8. Update your firmware (see firmware update instructions).

Try turning the car off and then back on between steps 3 and 4 as a mitigation step. And hopefully they do get back to you -- I was having some issues with it reconnecting when starting the car up (which turned out to be a conflict with HondaHack). The device seems to intercept one of the Audio startup sequence events when starting up the vehicle. In any case, the company was ready to do a return and refund my purchase, before all that was figured out.

Your vehicle does have CarPlay support I assume (I believe 2016 models might not have had it). This device adds wireless CarPlay to vehicles supporting wired CarPlay. The comment you mentioned about CarPlay being unavailable when connected via USB makes me wonder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine came without instructions, and took a minute to get it configured. Since then I've asked for them and here they are. Hopefully it will help.

Setup
1. Turn on the Bluetooth and WiFi networks on your phone.
2. Make sure your phone is not connected to any other WiFi or Bluetooth networks and remove the hands-free connection from your phone and car system settings.
3. Plug the adapter into the CarPlay USB port.
4. Wait for the interface to appear on the screen.
5. Click the search button.
6. Select the phone you want to pair the adapter with (or connect via the Bluetooth displayed on the screen).
7. Select "Pair" on your phone when the notification appears.
8. Update your firmware (see firmware update instructions).

Try turning the car off and then back on between steps 3 and 4 as a mitigation step. And hopefully they do get back to you -- I was having some issues with it reconnecting when starting the car up (which turned out to be a conflict with HondaHack). The device seems to intercept one of the Audio startup sequence events when starting up the vehicle. In any case, the company was ready to do a return and refund my purchase, before all that was figured out.

Your vehicle does have CarPlay support I assume (I believe 2016 models might not have had it). This device adds wireless CarPlay to vehicles supporting wired CarPlay. The comment you mentioned about CarPlay being unavailable when connected via USB makes me wonder.
Mine has instructions and mine supports apple carplay its 2020 pilot.
So I had no wifi or bluetooth connected. This issue is there screen never pops up only thing pops up for me is screen that is my car asking me to enable the device to connect via carplay or disable you have to enable each new phone or device I choose to enable. Then nothing. They did finally get back to me I sent them a video of it and they just said they would send to their engineers ..... so waiting.... but atleast heard from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Still no answer yet, they say their engineers are looking into it... heads up though even though mine isn’t working they will gladly allow me to return it but want to charge me a $25 restocking fee!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts