Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know those new car care products in the "wipes" form? They are pretty much really dissappointing.
:mad:

First one I tried was Amour-all glass wipes. Unless you are doing "just a mirror", they just are worthless....not enough "juice" to do the inside of the windshield. They dry up and smear.

Next I tried Maguire's Gold Leather Wipes, thinking they would not fill the perferated holes with 'saddle soap" or whatever. Well, they did not do that. But they dry out after half a seat. And they leave such a glossy "Amour-All" shine, that if you miss one little area, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Too slick too. I just want cleaning and conditioning....not a shining, slick surface. Thy are really slimey...don't touch ANYTHING after holding one.

I also tried "Simple Green" degreaser wipes. Thought they'd be cool to wipe off inside the engine compartment....hoses, plastic, manifold, battery, etc. However....same as glass wipes....not enough "juice". Take a whole jar of em' to do the trick.
:confused: :2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree about the wipes...the armorall glass wipes that is. I found the armorall cleaning wipes and the armorall protectant wipes to work quite well actually. I can do with the glass ones.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner (2 separate bottles) and don't have any problems with cleaner or conditioner getting stuck down in the perforations. Both products come in spray form that you use with sponges/towels. I would just stay away from gel products with our perforated seats.

As for glass, I rarely use anything but a damp microfiber cloth. I find that many glass cleaners cause more problems than they solve. If I really have a layer of film that I need to eliminate, I use Eagle 20/20.

The engine compartment either gets Castrol SuperClean, or lately I've been using S100 Total Cycle Cleaner on it.

I've heard the same thing that the Armorall cleaning wipes work pretty well, but I don't use a cleaner on the dash too often. Again, I use a damp microfiber cloth. If I do need something else I'll use Meguiar's Natural Shine.

Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best glass cleaner I have found is Stoner's Invisible Glass - can usually find at Pep Boys or via mail.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Stoners + microfiber for the glass (20/20 is great, too)
Lexol for the seats

Both :29:

I've actually never tried any of the wipe products, as I've only seen the ArmorAll ones, and I'm not a fan of ArmorAll.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Egine compartment cleaning

xyzzy said:

The engine compartment either gets Castrol SuperClean, or lately I've been using S100 Total Cycle Cleaner on it.

Chris
XYZZY,
Tell us more about cleaning the engine compartment. I used to do that, but once got in trouble getting electronics wet. So now I just dab and wipe a bit...no real hose jobs.

How do you use the cleaners you mention?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nothing special. I used to be more careful back in the days of distributor caps, but now I don't really do anything special with the possible exception that I make it a point to not blast the fuse box or other electrical components. The general consensus is to actually cover the electronic components with plastic, but I've not had any problems with my method of simply keeping water pressure away from those areas and making sure to dry them off with a cloth. I spray down pretty much the entire compartment with cleaner (on a cool engine only), let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off and followup with a small towel to get into tight spots. Some people follow that up with 303 or Engine Kote (from Meguiar's) to give it a nice finish, but I'm just going for clean.

Chris

·
Registered
119 Posts
I see that people don't like the wipes for the windows.............I totally agree. Once they start losing the cleaner the wipe almost sticks to the window and is hard to drag across the glass.

One thing I DO like in wipe form is the leather conditioner/cleaner made by armor all. Very easy to apply and lots of "stuff" on the wipe that lasts enough for the two front seats. Just thought you all would like to know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
While not a fan of Armor All, the cleaner
actually works pretty well. In fact, it has
more "stuff" in it then I usally need to do
some minor mess clean up. I DON'T use it on
the Pilot -- I don't think a new car needs it.

I actually have been looking for a plastic cleaner
that does NOT contain a conditioner in it (so
that I can follow up with 303) and have not found
any. I have used the Eiman Fabrik High Intensity dilluted 3x
for that purpose, but I would not mind finding
something "designed" for the plastics. Armor all
is the only one I know (that is widely available).

Like Chris said, though, on a new car, microfiber + water works just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts