Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple issue, probably complicated solution.
2005 Honda Pilot LX w/ 164k miles.
Daughter came home from college and stayed wipers only worked on High & Bump/Mist. Low, Intermittent & Wash do not work (fluid does spray w/Wash)
Swapped out motor and switch/lever with parts at both an independent garage (Amazon motor and OEM switch/lever) & Dealer (OEM motor) to no avail. Dealer used some type of plug at the switch in the column to “diagnose” that the issue was the motor.
Only things I can find (yeah on Google & Yahoo) is it is either the motor “most of the time” or the switch. Other than a radiator at 110k (rusted trans cooler connection) and recent steering rack replacement, this has been an incredibly solid tank.
Any more places to look other than replacing that section of the wiring harness or possibly the plugs themselves?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
409 Posts
Simple issue, probably complicated solution.
2005 Honda Pilot LX w/ 164k miles.
Daughter came home from college and stayed wipers only worked on High & Bump/Mist. Low, Intermittent & Wash do not work (fluid does spray w/Wash)
Swapped out motor and switch/lever with parts at both an independent garage (Amazon motor and OEM switch/lever) & Dealer (OEM motor) to no avail. Dealer used some type of plug at the switch in the column to “diagnose” that the issue was the motor.
Only things I can find (yeah on Google & Yahoo) is it is either the motor “most of the time” or the switch. Other than a radiator at 110k (rusted trans cooler connection) and recent steering rack replacement, this has been an incredibly solid tank.
Any more places to look other than replacing that section of the wiring harness or possibly the plugs themselves?
Thanks in advance
Anyone look at the "Intermittent Wiper Relay" right engine compartment? Test the relay or swap it a identical one, should be a brown 5-pin relay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone look at the "Intermittent Wiper Relay" right engine compartment? Test the relay or swap it a identical one, should be a brown 5-pin relay.
I found a diagram at fuse-box.info/Honda/Honda-Pilot-2003-2008-fuses that shows 1 common location for for the main under hood fuse box on the passenger side but looks like there was a major chance on the drivers side fro ‘04 to ‘06 it seems I might have a late build build ‘05 as I have the “square” intake cover of an ‘06 & small fuse box on the drivers side firewall instead of the 4 relay box front drivers side. Nothing for wipers in the small fuse box and it looks like all the fuses are good
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

·
Registered
409 Posts
I found a diagram at fuse-box.info/Honda/Honda-Pilot-2003-2008-fuses that shows 1 common location for for the main under hood fuse box on the passenger side but looks like there was a major chance on the drivers side fro ‘04 to ‘06 it seems I might have a late build build ‘05 as I have the “square” intake cover of an ‘06 & small fuse box on the drivers side firewall instead of the 4 relay box front drivers side. Nothing for wipers in the small fuse box and it looks like all the fuses are good View attachment 160480
Look at the following pictures, see if the small relay box #5 is there R3 is the concerned relay. R1=FAN CONTROL, R2=REAR WINDOW INTERMITTENT WIPER, R3=WINDSHIELD INTERMITTENT WIPER, R4=SEAT HEATER

Passenger Compartment Box 1 fuse 12 (30 amp) is windshield intermittent circuit. There's way to many fuse boxes and modules. Hope it's just the fuse or relay. I'd like to look at the tool the Honda Tech used when saying the motor was bad, maybe a relay bypass or a jumper switch across the fuse terminal?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drivers side kick panel. I would rule out the relays before going to driver multiplex control box. I think there is a diagnostic mode the multiplex box can be placed in. I think this is in the honda factory service manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look at the following pictures, see if the small relay box #5 is there R3 is the concerned relay. R1=FAN CONTROL, R2=REAR WINDOW INTERMITTENT WIPER, R3=WINDSHIELD INTERMITTENT WIPER, R4=SEAT HEATER

Passenger Compartment Box 1 fuse 12 (30 amp) is windshield intermittent circuit. There's way to many fuse boxes and modules. Hope it's just the fuse or relay. I'd like to look at the tool the Honda Tech used when saying the motor was bad, maybe a relay bypass or a jumper switch across the fuse terminal?
Looks like location #5 and it is BEHIND the washer fluid fill tube. Hitting a junkyard this weekend looking for a cargo cover (wish me luck) and will see if I can get a relay or two just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like location #5 and it is BEHIND the washer fluid fill tube. Hitting a junkyard this weekend looking for a cargo cover (wish me luck) and will see if I can get a relay or two just in case.
Went to a local pick-a-part yesterday on a quest for a rear cargo cover, no luck. Found 3 ‘03-‘05 pilots and pulled the relays out of 1.
To access relay location #5, slide the radiator overflow tank up from its mount & remove the cover for the computer control box above it. Popped off the cover and first swapped relay R3 with R2, no change. Put R2 back in orig location and tried 3 relays I got off a junker & wipers still not working on low/intermittent.
Did notice that “I think” when the wipers are on HIGH, they are actually running at LOW speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have verified the relay is good (the intermittent relay - so switches when given power on the signal leads, and the resistance across the power leads is reasonable when it's actuated), then the next thing to do is see if it's getting turned on when the switch is set to intermittent. If it's not, then could be a fried drivers side MCU, so maybe another trip to the you-pull-it lot to grab one or two of those...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have verified the relay is good (the intermittent relay - so switches when given power on the signal leads, and the resistance across the power leads is reasonable when it's actuated), then the next thing to do is see if it's getting turned on when the switch is set to intermittent. If it's not, then could be a fried drivers side MCU, so maybe another trip to the you-pull-it lot to grab one or two of those...
Never mentioned this earlier, but the rear passenger power window has been stuck “UP” for the last year (will not work with that door or driver’s door window control) and the wiper issue started this Spring while car was at my daughter’s school. Could they both be going through the same MCU?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never mentioned this earlier, but the rear passenger power window has been stuck “UP” for the last year (will not work with that door or driver’s door window control) and the wiper issue started this Spring while car was at my daughter’s school. Could they both be going through the same MCU?
I don't think they are the same - the wiring diagram has the power windows that use a control unit that's mounted inside the drivers door, while the wipers are the drivers side MCU which is under the dash. For the window - if you give the motor power, does it work? Other thing I would try (if you haven't already) is to ohm out the drivers side switch and the rear switch to see if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing (or if something got into them and they are gunked up or something like that).

Aren't electrical gremlins fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took my pilot to a local well recommended mechanic to have it for a week while I’m on vacation. He hooked up a NEW wiper motor and it quickly shorted out. Since then he has been troubleshooting but says more than likely beyond him &/or expensive. Sounding like wiring harness at first thought or a grounding issue. Will update when he txts back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A local mechanic who works out of his back yard 2 car garage narrowed it to the drivers side MCU (which WAS mentioned earlier here). He traced the wiring that was the only place left to fault. He even gave me 3 printouts to better explain it. Looks like I’ll be ordering one online. Anyone have any preferred online places OTHER THAN Amazon as I couldn’t find it there. The part seems to be the same no matter the trim level in ‘05.
Part # is 38800-S9V-A02 for 2005 Driver’s side MCU.
Schematic Floor plan Engineering Parallel Font

Font Parallel Screenshot Paper Paper product

1 - 20 of 27 Posts