Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winter months can be terror for those who live north and like to keep their car clean. In the past I've typically waited for a "not too terribly freezing" day, brave the elements, thaw out the hose, and go for it. In my quest for a better solution I did a search over at the Autopia site. For those who aren't familiar, the guys over at Autopia are primarily either professional detailers or just private owners who really want to keep their cars looking great.

What I came up with was actually the answer that some mobile detailers use when they do not have access to a hose at the job site. Some of them use a product from Protect All called Quick & Easy Wash. It's basically a liquid soap that you can mix with a gallon of water in your wash bucket. You wash your car with a regular soft wash mitt (don't bear down) one panel at a time, drying before moving to the next panel. There is no need to rinse before or after washing. Just wash and dry.

I have to admit that I was pretty sceptical about the proposition of taking a wet mitt straight to a dry panel, but I trusted the Autopians and gave it a shot. I have to say that I'm very impressed. I washed my Pilot yesterday in about half the time it normally takes. Used correctly, this stuff WILL NOT cause any scratches. It works very well. The only change I will make in the future is that I will use a two bucket method where I keep another bucket of clean water to rinse my wash mitt off before dunking it back into the soapy bucket. The amount of water that runs off of the vehicle down onto the concrete is no more than what you get when pulling into the garage during a rain so I'll probably be doing my winter washing in the relatively warm garage.

The maker of the product again is Protect All (www.protectall.com). Some people have reported that their local Walmart carried it in the camping section, but it's most commonly found at RV dealers. I just ordered mine online from www.campingworld.com because they only charge $1.00 for shipping.

I hope this helps others keep their Pilots looking great this winter!

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is a camping world by my house....But, I'm still very nervous to try this. I can just hear the salt and sand scraping across my car as I apply the mit...Why do you only do one section at a time???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing one panel at a time eliminates any streaking from excess cleaner. I tried to cheat by doing an entire side and notices some streaks when I dried. They were easily removed with a second drying pass, but I would just stick with their one panel at a time method.

The scraping was the same visual that I had, but I can assure you that it's safe. The detailers who use this stuff touch some pretty pricey cars (lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc.) and also your more average luxury & sports cars (Mercedes, Porsche, etc.). It is their job to make sure that the vehicles that they detail do not have any scratches or swirls. I overcame my paranoia based on this and I wasn't disappointed. It really does work.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
OK...I ordered it. I hope this stuff works...washing cars around in winter is not fun...unless you wanna take it to the local scratch and wash :)

BTW, do you have a heated garage or something???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heat the garage (portable electric or kerosene) when I know I'll be working out there. Even when I don't heat it, the temperature is considerably higher than it is outside. It's all relative...

Just remember not to bear down on the surface when you wash. Also, you should wipe with a back and forth motion, not circular. These are tips that should be taken regardless of what you are washing with, but it's worth repeating here.

Hope you like it. Let me know when you try it out. I ordered a gallon of it, so it will hopefully be a while before I need to order again.

Chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
Winter washing

I live in Chicago area...where salt turns asphalt and cars white. I just go to one of those Laser Touchless washes for $5. (usually next to the "spray yourself washes") I buy the Undercarriage spray and wash with spot-free rinse. They do a pretty good job. In the bad weather, I'm usually more interested in salt removal than looks.

While I'm there I fire up my Mr. Heater indoor propane heater.

I come home, pull in the Garage and dry it off. If some Ice forms on the way home, it melts pretty quick.

I NEVER go where they have brushes in the car-wash. I worked in a Car Wash in college....they DO Thin and swirl the finish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you believe in magic?

That is how I describe my first car wash with Protect All. My wife wanted to run the car through our local carwash because she can't stand to have the sides of "her" car dirty from driving through the rain and mud (the mud flaps are totally useless, IMO, but that's another thread . . . ).

I ordered some Protect All from Camping World, mixed up a half bucket of solution and held my breath as drug my soaked sponge over my dirty car. The solution doesn't get real foamy or "soapy" feeling and it seems like it just lifts off the dirt and floats it away or it gets trapped on the sponge, but without causing any apparant harm to the paint. It dried up real nice. I didn't bother with the roof or hood and the sides look like new.

It worked great and I would highly recommend it. It is like no other washing solution I have ever used.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am like mikmax1 and use the laser touchless washes. Also, like mikmax1, I am not interested in looks in winter, just salt removal!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Question about ProtectAll wash

Does the ProtectAll wash remove wax, or is it safe for wax. (I want to make sure wax stays on during Winter).

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for the great info!

chris,

i just ordered the quick & easy wash.
obviously, i have exactly the same concerns as many of us from the north have.
hopefully, i will also be able to avoid having to run the car thru a car wash and be impressed by the results of this product as you have been.

thanks again,

chris

:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Protect all for the Engine?

Wonder if Protect all (supposedly uses very little water) would be a cool way to wipe down engine compartments.
I'm always a little leary of too much water under there since I screwed one up once. (I wet down an electronic Idle sensor)

I'm a bit intrigued by this Protect all...but one thing it won't do in your garage....wash the undercarriage of SALT. That is the primary reason for washing in the hard cold winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts