Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a Winter Circular from Tirerack. Their running a special for the Pilot - 4 new 16" steel wheels with covers + 4 Michelin Artic-Alpin tires (mounted and balanced), which do VERY well, in all the tests, for $558.00
Since I need a full size spare anyway, this would solve that problem as well.

What do people think abouth these tires and the price?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
920 Posts
Don't waste your money....

The tires you have will be just fine...

·
Registered
23 Posts
For most drivers in the Northern US or Canada, I wouldn't consider snow tires a waste of money.

First of all I am not aware of any all season tire out there that can match the grip and stopping performance of a good winter tire. They just give you that extra measure of safety that is consistent with the Pilot's use as a family vehicle.

Second, any miles that you put on your winter tires are miles that aren't being put on your regular tires so they will last a lot longer. Steel winter rims also save alot of wear and tear on your regular rims. How much of a winter fender bender would it take for you to be out more than $558.

All in all, I'm not sure that winter tires and rims actually cost you that much in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the Michelins but I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the major tire brand's offerings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too am a big fan of winter tires. I have used the Artic Alpin in the past and found them the best compromise for our use. They will not give the bite that some of the more agressive winter tires will but they are quieter than most and will last about 40-50K miles. You must rotate regularly or they will wear poorly. If you live in an area that gets lots of snow you may want to look at the Blizzac (sp). I have woned these too and found the snow traction better but they wear much faster and fall apart if the tempature gets above 50 degrees.

The winter tires may not be needed for going with AWD but they make a huge difference in stopping. I have avoided several sure mishaps because of them on icy roads. The way I look at it is the $500 I spend now is the same as my deductable. And I just saved all the hassels of a tow out of a ditch or worse.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Northern New Jersey, so we can get lots of snow, which quickly becomes packed snow and ice. I've always fealt helpless on such conditions and the Pilot is my answer. I think armed with the snow tires, I'll get more than just a minor benefit. Jesus, I only wish the Pilot came with or had as an option, the Vehicle Stability system, I would have paid extra for it!!

Also, I was planning on getting an alloy wheel with a CT tire, for my full spare since I tow, so this will save me the $200 of that! I'll keep one of the Artic Alpin tires as the spare for quick use if I get a flat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Snow tires give you that extra margin of safety, especially if you commute 200 km per day like I do.

The Michelin Alpins are very good on icy surfaces. The Blizzaks are better but wear out faster. Mounting snow tires on steel rims is a good idea. You'll save wear and tear on your alloy rims and on the tires' bead. Depending on how long you plan to keep your Pilot, it will also save you on yearly tire mounting costs.

Just my 2 cents worth (1.32 cents US).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts