Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Should the least worn tires (best tread depth) winter tires go on the front or on the rear?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone I know has a 2007 and is about to reinstall its winter tires. I noticed that some have more tread wear than others, and they're most likely on their last winter. In a perfect world it would be better to get a new set right away, but budgetary circumstances preclude that for now, and anyway the Pilot won't get much use this winter (no road trips or extensive highway driving; mostly occasionally shuttling around town).

Still, it would be good to get the safest permutation out of this set of tires. I'm pretty aware of what the conventional wisdom is, but I'm curious about what PIloteer wisdom is (or just opinions and experience).

Should the least worn tires (most tread depth) tires go on the front or on the rear?

Oh, and I'll make this a poll because why not? :)

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Someone I know has a 2007 and is about to reinstall its winter tires. I noticed that some have more tread wear than others, and they're most likely on their last winter. In a perfect world it would be better to get a new set right away, but budgetary circumstances preclude that for now, and anyway the Pilot won't get much use this winter (no road trips or extensive highway driving; mostly occasionally shuttling around town).

Still, it would be good to get the safest permutation out of this set of tires. I'm pretty aware of what the conventional wisdom is, but I'm curious about what PIloteer wisdom is (or just opinions and experience).

Should the least worn tires (most tread depth) tires go on the front or on the rear?

Oh, and I'll make this a poll because why not? :)
AWD (or 4x4) or FWD?

AWD doesn’t matter much, FWD better treads in front.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well north of the Mason-Dixon Line here. Getting a FWD Pilot up here is like getting snow tires in Florida. Not too popular. :)

Fair question, though. AWD, or as Honda calls it, 4WD. :)

·
Registered
9,778 Posts

A 2007 Pilot, even one with four/all-wheel-drive, is mainly a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
Also, it is equipped with a Vehicle Stability Assist system to help prevent an oversteer situation from occurring.
The front tires will clear a path for the rear tires.
More of the braking is done by the front tires.
So, IMO, put the tires with the greater tread depth on the front wheels.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
The passenger department were instructed to mount the ones with more tread on the rear of a vehicle.
I still am old school and prefer better tread depth on my steer axle.
I may be wrong, just more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
The passenger department were instructed to mount the ones with more tread on the rear of a vehicle.
Yes that’s exactly what I have always done....though now that I look into it more, putting the better treads on the rear might actually be better off.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
A 2007 Pilot, even one with four/all-wheel-drive, is mainly a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
Also, it is equipped with a Vehicle Stability Assist system to help prevent an oversteer situation from occurring.
The front tires will clear a path for the rear tires.
More of the braking is done by the front tires.
So, IMO, put the tires with the greater tread depth on the front wheels.
^ THIS! +1

Case in point- I live in Brewaukee (Milwaukee for those that don't get the pun).
Most cars here are FWD. They do just fine.

I laugh at our new to us '15 Pilot, when it says on the back displayed 4WD, LOL
It's NOT 4WD. Yes, all the wheels can sometimes get SOME power. The VSA actually CUTS power to the slipping wheels. Sometimes that's better- sometimes you need it to spin some- that's why you can shut it off too.

lie xGS said. It's bascially a FWD vehicle w/ the rear wheels sometimes assisting.
Yes, it has that psuedo lock, in 1st, 2nd, or reverse, that comes completely off when the wheel speed with the sensor hits 18 mph.

The better tires go on the front for a Pilot. FWD, psuedo 4WD, etc. Doesn't matter.
IMEO- In my educated opinion.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yes that’s exactly what I have always done....though now that I look into it more, putting the better treads on the rear might actually be better off.
If they are that different- the tread depth on your tires-
Try the better ones on the back then-
Get back to us with the results. LOL
I feel it's wrong, for objective reasons.

These are NOT RWD vehicles!
I have one now, a V8 Dodge Dakota truck, with manual 5spd trans, posi trac. etc.
It's only RWD- Sucks in the ice and snow no matter how good the tires are back there.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm sorry, I guess I'm the only one but I don't understand this statement:
'The passenger department were instructed to mount the ones with more tread on the rear of a vehicle.'

What is a passenger department, and who are they instructing, and on what vehicle?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
If you drive like a crazy loon, it wont matter which ones you have one. My bias is always to have the best ones on the front as most of the time the Pilot is FWD. Lots of driving, steering and braking going on there.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My vote is that the tires with more tread depth (talking substantially more, not the amount you get between tire rotations) should always be placed on the rear axle. I don't care what excuses are made, most drivers aren't drifters and don't react properly to the rear end kicking out so I'd rather you (I mean, your friend) understeer off onto the shoulder than spin and end up wrapped around a tree or hitting oncoming traffic. Most drivers need their vehicles set up to understeer.

Reactions: cloudasc

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
I'm sorry, I guess I'm the only one but I don't understand this statement:
'The passenger department were instructed to mount the ones with more tread on the rear of a vehicle.'

What is a passenger department, and who are they instructing, and on what vehicle?
I worked on the commercial truck side.
The guys who did passenger tires, were told to put the tires with more tread depth on the rear axle.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I worked on the commercial truck side.
The guys who did passenger tires, were told to put the tires with more tread depth on the rear axle.
Thank you for the explanation.
So then, these were RWD vehicles?
The Pilot, even the 4WD, is basically still a FWD vehicle.

* Now I used to have an 03 Explorer- V8, 4WD.
Now THAT was a RWD vehicle, and the fronts assisted when the rears slipped. That's very different than the Honda Pilot.
It also had 4L, 4H, button to lock it in, for offraod only, and was basically a real 4x4.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Thank you for the explanation.
So then, these were RWD vehicles?
The Pilot, even the 4WD, is basically still a FWD vehicle.

* Now I used to have an 03 Explorer- V8, 4WD.
Now THAT was a RWD vehicle, and the fronts assisted when the rears slipped. That's very different than the Honda Pilot.
It also had 4L, 4H, button to lock it in, for offraod only, and was basically a real 4x4.
They were told front wheel drive or rear wheel or 4X4 More tread on the rear.
Does not make sense to me, but I guess the ministry sent a memo saying that is how it is to be done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Studies have shown that most non-professional drivers are better in understeer conditions (sliding front) than oversteer (sliding rear.) In NASCAR terms, non-professional drivers are more likely to recover if their vehicle is "tight" than if it is "loose." That's the logic behind putting the best tires on the rear axle. If it was me, though, I'd put the best tires on the front, for two reasons: 1) Starting in snow conditions with a FWD or front-biased vehicle is a common problem and will be easier with better tires. Also, driving in snow should be done much more slowly, making rear-wheel loss of traction less likely. 2) I'm a much better than average driver. ;)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
They were told front wheel drive or rear wheel or 4X4 More tread on the rear.
Does not make sense to me, but I guess the ministry sent a memo saying that is how it is to be done.
That sounds 'cult-like',
Or Canadian! Take your pick LOL ;)

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in Brewaukee (Milwaukee for those that don't get the pun)
I get it. I had some of the first Milwaukee Brewers baseball cards. Still waiting for them to win a pennant or heaven forbid a World Series. At least they brought back their team mascot, Beer Barrel Man, a sports figure who literally has a beer belly and a spigot for a nose.

Someday those cards might be worth a lot. To the guy I traded them to. :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
I get it. I had some of the first Milwaukee Brewers baseball cards. Still waiting for them to win a pennant or heaven forbid a World Series. At least they brought back their team mascot, Beer Barrel Man, a sports figure who literally has a beer belly and a spigot for a nose.

Someday those cards might be worth a lot. To the guy I traded them to. :)
I played clossies with my Gretzky rookie cards, and lost.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 61 Posts