Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Costco has the Michelin deal going currently with instant rebate and free install on the X-ice Snow. For my daughter's CRV it would be $835 out the door with new Honda TPMS sensors since rims don't currently have them. For my daughter driving places I'd rather have working sensors.

TireRack deal through 9-28-20, VikingContact 7 shipped to local installer with 4 new Tirerack Sensors, after $80 rebate card, $704 out the door ($734 if I get Honda sensors).

I'd really like to try the X-ice snow but I think that will need to wait until one of the other sets wears out, maybe, depending on reviews and prices at that time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here but to the OP, I'm near Calgary, ordered some Blizzaks from Costco recently, 245/65R17 for $772 tax in including install. Found some steel rims 17x7.5 64.1 center bore 42mm offset for about $305.

Sensors from rock auto are about $65 all in.

So about $1140 cdn for a winter setup

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
230 Posts
New here but to the OP, I'm near Calgary, ordered some Blizzaks from Costco recently, 245/65R17 for $772 tax in including install. Found some steel rims 17x7.5 64.1 center bore 42mm offset for about $305.

You won't be disappointed with the Blizzaks, I had a set on my 2wd Saturn Vue and that car would go though anything winter could throw at it. I also just ordered some TPMS sensors from Rock Auto so we will see how they work out in my winter rims this time. I was getting sick of resetting that TPMS warning everytime I started the car.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the Blizzaks,
You will after a couple of winters when the first 55% of the tread wears out.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
What happens when you want to go in reverse?
Picked this skill up from Jim Rockford. :)
Um, what I meant to say was...

"Most" drivers don't go that fast in reverse that they need to worry about hydroplaning or slush evacuation while backing up. The rubber compound and the sipes that open slightly to grip snow (snow sticks best to itself) still function the same in reverse. The direction with the flow to outside when driving forward just helps clear under the tread faster. just like no hydroplane on your car maybe at 30mph but same puddle at 60mph might spin you.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
So after 55% and the Multicell is gone it's only as good as a "regular" winter tire? Sounds OK to me!

Can't reasonable run snows as low as summers anyway, not if you want the added traction the tread depth gets you.

Yeah, OK, and I guess it depends on what winter conditions are like in your area. More of a concern in my area are icy roads than deep snow, and I felt I just wasn't getting my money's worth with my Blizzaks. The Nokian Hakkapeliittas that replaced them are more expensive, but I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

·
Registered
2016 EX
6 Posts

I'm a couple hours away from you. Where did you buy 17" steelies for $305 CDN?
TIA
Rice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone!

I was looking at getting all-weather tires so I do not have to change tires every season but after much research, I have decided to buck up the money and buy some winter tires and rims and then just change them out myself. I am in Northern Canada (Edmonton) and I have a 2016 Touring. To save some money, I was going to go with 18" rims but was wondering if I should go down to 17" rims. Would it be safer to go with 17" rims or stick with 18" rims?

Also, I am looking at going with the Blizzak tires as they seem to have some great ratings. Anyone have any feedback on these or suggestions of a better tire?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

David
I second Nokia Hakkapelitas recommendation. Not sure I spelled that right but I had them on an old Saab in central/northern NY winters. It easily outperformed all weather tired 4x4 jeep cherokee in all but very deep snow. I kept the same diameter tire to use same rims but went with taller and thinner by then next size available compared to my all weather tire based on verbal recommendations from other winter driving folks. Not sure if it made a difference but the Nokia's were awesome.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I live in Ottawa OP, and like Edmonton, we know how to do winter here in this city.

I have Blizzak's on my Pilot and have total confidence with them in winter. I live on a street that is one of the last to get plowed and have never been disappointed with these tires on my Pilot. One winter I watched as 5 vehicles were completely stuck in the snow on my street and I just drove all around them to get out of the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Does NailGrease still own a Pilot?
It's no longer listed in his signature.
All it shows is GMC and Crosstour.
Still a Pilot owner.
GMC not mine. It's a family members. It's needing the 10 year old Dex Cool flushed from the radiator, wiper blades and windshield washer fluid, then I'm done.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Who wants to start a poll on whether or not the OP is ever going to make another post to this thread?
I do not think the OP will return.
Needed advice, then found a better thing.
He got Snow Tire in Canada advice and much much more. Hopefully he comes back.
The cold is about set in, it's not like he can mess around.

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a couple hours away from you. Where did you buy 17" steelies for $305 CDN?
TIA
Rice

I couldn't find hubcentric wheels at Costco so I searched around. These are 17x7.5, 42mm offset, 64.1 center bore, 5x120 bolt pattern. Model number on their site is X47120 but they are also labeled as RT45754.

I test fit them yesterday and they clear the brakes front and back just fine.

There are discount codes that will knock off $5 to bring it down to $306.35 all in. Sorry for the delayed response

20200921_132321.jpg

41 - 60 of 62 Posts