Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
63 Posts
All this tire talk is making me cranky. I hate winter. Spent two hours putting tire chains on my tractor. Getting ready for winter. I would love to live in the Southern states in USA. Just too damn hot in the summer.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
230 Posts
All this tire talk is making me cranky. I hate winter. Spent two hours putting tire chains on my tractor. Getting ready for winter. I would love to live in the Southern states in USA. Just too damn hot in the summer.
I hear ya...We're still a couple of months away from our first snow here. There are a lot of my neighbours with RV's who will not be able to go south if the border remains closed. We just hibernate here as we hate to travel in winter. I'll take a bit of winter over extreme heat anytime.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,515 Posts
I think you need to ask yourself........

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I hear ya...We're still a couple of months away from our first snow here. There are a lot of my neighbours with RV's who will not be able to go south if the border remains closed. We just hibernate here as we hate to travel in winter. I'll take a bit of winter over extreme heat anytime.
Born and raised in Texas. We had a hand full of days over 100°F. Wasn't as brutal a summer as we've had in the past, but there were days I refused to work in it. Thankfully on the days I did work in it, my garage opens on opposite ends to get a breeze.
Last winter, we may have dipped below the freezing mark 3 times. But it's rarely cold enough not to get some work done if needed. I don't think I could take the ice and snow for weeks/months at a time below freezing. I like the cold, but not that cold.
We do get the occasional Hurricane to worry about.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Well ya,
They wouldn't make them if they wern't good.
Very highly rated.
Sumitomo Ice Edge
I know someone (student) who''ll be looking for a set of winter tires next year but can't afford the more expensive ones. Maybe I'll recommend the Sumitomo Ice Edge if it's available around here for a 1st gen Pilot.

I'll take a bit of winter over extreme heat anytime.
Yup, that's me too.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,515 Posts
I know someone (student) who''ll be looking for a set of winter tires next year but can't afford the more expensive ones. Maybe I'll recommend the Sumitomo Ice Edge if it's available around here for a 1st gen Pilot.

Yup, that's me too.
My concern with the Sumitomo snow tire would be what happens if the snow doesn't happen to be going the same direction as the tires. :LOL:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV is the winner in most tests I have seen. So those are the best for real winter conditions (snow, slush and ice). Bt they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Michelin's aren't directional like the Sumitomos. They work no matter what direction the snow is going.
Actually they are. The arrow type pattern on all of them is normally directional. Made to have the open channels to help evacuate slush..........before you spin around and evacuate accidentally in shorts.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Directional tires are often identifiable due to their distinct, one-way tread patterns. Directional tires typically have a tread “flow” that suggests a rolling direction.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
What happens when you want to go in reverse?
"Most" drivers don't go that fast in reverse that they need to worry about hydroplaning or slush evacuation while backing up. The rubber compound and the sipes that open slightly to grip snow (snow sticks best to itself) still function the same in reverse. The direction with the flow to outside when driving forward just helps clear under the tread faster. just like no hydroplane on your car maybe at 30mph but same puddle at 60mph might spin you.

Michelin also has listed and some testing was done on a newer X-ice Snow and X-ice North. Better performance in deeper snow, more open voids, more aggressive look . X-ice North is studdable if you are in area that is always hard packed snow and ice. Not sure if available yet for this season especially in US, maybe Canada.

New Michelin Winter and X-ice snow

If available for order I might have to try these this year for my daughters CRV. Time to read up on some of the newest ratings tests.......hard to get work done when I need to read about these things.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I forget which forum had it but one of the users of the R2's commented to make sure you where gloves when installing and uninstalling. He had many small slices on his hands like running hands on rough sandpaper from the grip particles.

On links to others like plplplpl - my Blizzak experience was the same. Good for 2-3 winters and then I left them on. In warmer temps the rest of the tread wore off quick and wasn't confidence inspiring in rain for long so off they came. I donated to the used tire joint as they were still better that many have (lie with the belts showing) and can't afford much.

I wanted the Nokians for my Sonata and wife's Pilot but black friday deals at Discount Tire Direct made the Conti Si almost half the price. Going with the reviews (like C&D test, DTD and TR) it was too hard not to get them. For all my winter driving they have been excellent on trips up North and my daily commute. My DTD credit card has seen many charges posted the last couple years for black Friday. They also give the discounts a couple days earlier to avoid the rush if you call on phone.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts