Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was looking at getting all-weather tires so I do not have to change tires every season but after much research, I have decided to buck up the money and buy some winter tires and rims and then just change them out myself. I am in Northern Canada (Edmonton) and I have a 2016 Touring. To save some money, I was going to go with 18" rims but was wondering if I should go down to 17" rims. Would it be safer to go with 17" rims or stick with 18" rims?

Also, I am looking at going with the Blizzak tires as they seem to have some great ratings. Anyone have any feedback on these or suggestions of a better tire?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

David

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Wow, is it already winter tire season up in Edmonton?

Blizzaks are good -- at first. Michelin X-Ice is good, too, and they usually start offering $70 rebates on October 1st. I went with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUVs, More expensive and harder to find, but I'm very happy and they have served me well when old man winter starts ablowin'.

Blizzak DM-V1 - The Thrill Is Gone

How does Pilot with stock tires handle rain and snow?

Good winter tires, along with the Pilot's VTM-4 system, make a world of difference.

That's because VTM-4 engages automatically anyway if it detects slippage.

For extra traction when I'm really stuck, though, I find disengaging VSA helps. That's why they put a button down near your left knee to do that when you need to.

But a dedicated winter tire makes a world of difference. When my new Nokian Hakkapeliittas got me through a surprise dump of 16" of heavy snow in the middle of nowhere last winter, I thought to myself, "Where have you been all my life, Hakkapeliitta?"

How does Pilot with stock tires handle rain and snow?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I was looking at getting all-weather tires so I do not have to change tires every season but after much research, I have decided to buck up the money and buy some winter tires and rims and then just change them out myself. I am in Northern Canada (Edmonton) and I have a 2016 Touring.
How much longer do you expect to keep this vehicle?

Going forward - and given the present virus situation - what is your expected annual mileage?

What is the length of your daily commute?

How well are the local roads cleared and treated?

Do you have to go out when the weather is bad or do you have the option of staying at home and waiting until travel conditions improve?

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you get new wheels don't forget about new TPMS sensors or live with the warning light blinking at you. Not sure if the Pilot can "remember" multiple sets of sensors....just went through this PITA on my Odyssey.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Not sure if the Pilot can "remember" multiple sets of sensors
Yes, no problem. I've got a set of TPMS sensors on my summers and a set on my winters, each on their dedicated rims for easier wheel changing twice a year. The Pilot detects and works seamlessly with either set when I change wheels. Some places will try to tell you they need to be reprogrammed (at a cost) each time. Simply not true, at least not on my model year.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EX
6 Posts
Hey, I'm rollin' in west Edmonton.
I'm also thinking about getting some 17" snows. Which rims are you thinking about? Steelies? Aftermarket? 17s from 2nd gen Pilot?

I've had the Toyo Observes made out of walnuts shells for my last 2 vehicles and they seem pretty good (for the first few seasons).

Rice

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
88 Posts
I ran Blizzaks on my old Jimmy. Awesome grip on ice. Just they wore out to damn quick.
X-ice also wears out quickly. They have such a soft rubber compound, that is why they are so good on the ice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ran Blizzak DM-V2 here in Alaska last einter and they were as unstoppable as I hoped they would be. With Covid I didnt even swap them out this summer since I was only driving a couple days a week. Haven't checked the wear yet, but it doesn't look too bad with a visual.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
A downside of Blizzak tires is that only the first/top 55% of the tread depth is composed of the special multi-cell winter tread compound.

·
Registered
331 Posts
17" or 18" will work well. Don't forget to check Craigslist, Letgo, Facebook marketplace, kijiji (in Canada) and include Ridgeline in your search as the rims fit the Pilot also (pending years). Ridegline Owners Club forums trading post also. Many good tire choices for snows some dependent on your driving conditions / style / commute. Some better ice, some better deep snow. Tirerack has good details/ratings/reviews.

My Blizzaks were good but a bit too soft for my preference on mostly cleared roads at 75mph with traffic commute and wore faster. I like my Winter Contact Si a bit better for my use.

My Altimax Arctic's got the Sequoia through 2 foot plus storms with real high drifts. Best was pulling a 4WD State police Tahoe out from stuck. 6 inches of snow on shoulder and he wasn't moving (not buried in a drift just pulled over at an accident). Backed up into same stuff, tow line and pulled him back to pavement. Did same for local county police stuck on a hill in my neighborhood in an AWD Taurus. Heavy wet slushy and he was sideways, dispatch told him 2 hours until possible tow out. Altimax arctic barley even spun in 4WD to get started. a couple minutes later he was free on main plowed road 1 mile away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a set of Goodyear Ultra Grip WRT ICE ordered with steel rims (18”) for our 2019 Touring. We’ll see how it handles our Manitoba winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
249 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts