Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old Bosch Icon wipers finally got too loud and streaky for me to handle.

I happened to be at Walmart and found the RainX Latitude wipers and decided to give them a try. I noticed the passenger side blade doesn’t fully contact the windshield on the right corner.

I noticed this problem with the Boschs too but just ignored it.

Does anyone know of beam style blades that come in full contact with the windshield and don’t miss spots? I think I’m going to return the RainX wipers since they’re also kind of loud and streaky.

I attached some pictures although I’m not sure if you can tell what’s going on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used the Honda OEM blades 1 year ago and I can't wait to replace them again... I would not recommend. I told myself it is not worth paying extra for the Bosch... regretting that now. I used Bosch on my Odyssey in the past and was great, was not aware of the issue with the Pilot.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Yea I’m sure OEM is probably best, but I can’t stand the conventional wiper blades. Plus I’m not sure where/how to buy OEM wipers for my 08.
Here: Buy Genuine Honda Wiper Blades | Honda Parts Network
Or any Honda Dealer should have them.

I never buy wiper blade with frame. It's the frame that matters for complete contact. After market blades and frames are generic for a size, not a particular vehicle windshield shape. I just buy the replacement inserts and install it into the OEM frame.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here: Buy Genuine Honda Wiper Blades | Honda Parts Network
Or any Honda Dealer should have them.

I never buy wiper blade with frame. It's the frame that matters for complete contact. After market blades and frames are generic for a size, not a particular vehicle windshield shape. I just buy the replacement inserts and install it into the OEM frame.

View attachment 146866
OEM frames were thrown out long before I became the owner...guess I'll have to buy the whole assembly. I just like the look of beam style blades a lot better.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have found that a couple minutes of good cleaning on the windshield, the area where the wipers rest and the rubber themselves really helps with the longevity. Sure, most of the vehicles have an "unwiped" area on the passenger side where the windshield curves but that really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found that a couple minutes of good cleaning on the windshield, the area where the wipers rest and the rubber themselves really helps with the longevity. Sure, most of the vehicles have an "unwiped" area on the passenger side where the windshield curves but that really doesn't bother me.
I haven't thrown my Bosch wipers away (I loved those things). Any particular way I should clean them to "replenish" the rubber?

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
OEM frames were thrown out long before I became the owner...guess I'll have to buy the whole assembly. I just like the look of beam style blades a lot better.
Keep in mind that most companies including Bosh sell blade inserts as well. Most people just go the easy route and buy the plastic blade assembly that snaps on instead of just changing out the actual blade itself.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind that most companies including Bosh sell blade inserts as well. Most people just go the easy route and buy the plastic blade assembly that snaps on instead of just changing out the actual blade itself.
So you're saying I can replace the rubber in the current Bosch blades I have?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been using the Michelin wipers from Costco for years. They are great and lost a good amount of time. They are $10 per blade here in Canada so should be like $3 in the US lol. I highly recommend them. OEM is great too if you have the OEM blades already.

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
So you're saying I can replace the rubber in the current Bosch blades I have?
You will have to look and see if you can remove the blade itself. Most frames allow you to just replace the blade. You have to know the right length and purchase the proper refills. They are usually sold individually as the Left blade is usually slightly longer than the right blade.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I haven't thrown my Bosch wipers away (I loved those things). Any particular way I should clean them to "replenish" the rubber?
I follow some detailers and most of them use IPA on the rubber. Spray some into a clean towel and run it along the rubber. Spray a clean spot and do it again. After 3-4 times the towel stops getting stained. No issues with the rubber being deteriorated since my wipers are lasting much longer than they used to.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I buy inexpensive Amazon wiper blades. These work great and have had no issue. Wiper blades are ridiculously overpriced everywhere else.
how often do you have to replace them? Do they wipe well and are they quiet?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the Boschs back on after cleaning them and returned the RainX blades for now. I’ll see how long these last before they get loud.
thanks for your suggestions everyone

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What length wiper blade are you using on the passenger side?
21in. After putting the Bosch blades back on, I realized they do lay completely flat on the windshield. They are much smoother and quieter after cleaning them.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
21in. After putting the Bosch blades back on, I realized they do lay completely flat on the windshield. They are much smoother and quieter after cleaning them.
Note that the length of the factory blade on the passenger side is 525mm, or about 20.6".
Using a 21" blade will increase the likelihood of the extra length on the end not making contact with the glass toward the base of the windshield.
Similar situation with the driver side blade, if you use a 24" length, in that the end can contact the side windshield frame near the roof.
For aftermarket replacement blades, I'm using 22" and 20" and accepting the slightly reduced coverage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts