Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of this Texas winter storm and we haven’t had power for 4 days. I needed heat so I went to sit in my car for a while. Well, I didn’t realize my windshield wipers were in the on position but a block of ice over the windshield was constricting them from moving. Now everything has melted, and although they still work, they stay running for at least ten seconds after I shut them off and they park in the wrong position. Also, the first three speed settings stay at the same speed. Is this a motor malfunction, or can I easily repair this? I know they can be recalibrated but I don’t know why they don’t shut off after I turn them off. This is the last thing I need on top of this disaster we have been dealing with this week. Any help is so appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Sorry to hear that you’re going through the cold front in Texas.

Do the wiper blades sweep the full range and are both blades in sync with each other? If they do, then it’s not likely that they twisted on the shafts they are mounted to.

Without seeing the Pilot, my first guess is the wiper motor was stressed since it was trying to move but was blocked. That may have led to the motor overheating and be the cause of the behavior you are seeing. I haven’t had to replace a wiper motor, but I don’t think it’s too difficult since there is usually good access in its location.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I am in the middle of this Texas winter storm and we haven’t had power for 4 days. I needed heat so I went to sit in my car for a while. Well, I didn’t realize my windshield wipers were in the on position but a block of ice over the windshield was constricting them from moving. Now everything has melted, and although they still work, they stay running for at least ten seconds after I shut them off and they park in the wrong position. Also, the first three speed settings stay at the same speed. Is this a motor malfunction, or can I easily repair this? I know they can be recalibrated but I don’t know why they don’t shut off after I turn them off. This is the last thing I need on top of this disaster we have been dealing with this week. Any help is so appreciated. Thank you.
I'm might just be blowing smoke here, but I think/hope your wiper motor is ok. I think it may be hunting for the parking switch or something in the stalk switch or speed resistor array got shorted. I don't know what year your car is but I'll look at my schematics and see if I can find a reason for the symptoms you're describing. Standby one.

[EDIT] It looks like power is going through the INTermittent relay or MICU path which bypasses the speed resistor array and runs the wipers at one speed (low, correct?), intermittently. There is a timer in that circuit which may explain why the wipers keep going for a while after you switch them off. What happens when you put the wiper switch in INT? Can you control how long the pause is between wipes in the INT mode? Do the wipers run at the same speed as the hi and low settings?

Do the blades immediately park when you turn the ignition switch to LOCK? If they do park, where are the wipers when they stop?

What year and trim level is your Pilot? Have you contacted the dealer? Continued operation could harm the motor. That would be a safety issue so try to get it fixed as soon as possible even if it means taking it to a mechanic or the dealer and try not to drive in rain or snow and operate them until then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just probably blowing smoke here, but I think/hope your wiper motor is ok. I think it may be hunting for the parking switch or something in the stalk switch or speed resistor array got shorted. I don't know what year your car is but I'll look at my schematics and see if I can find a reason for the symptoms you're describing. Standby one.
I’d appreciate it! It’s a 2010 Touring.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
TX. My old stomping grounds. What part?
Sorry ya'll had to go thru that. We last lived in Pearland- south of Houston.
When we were still there in Hur. Ike, we lost power for days too. It was warm then though. We used my propane crawfish boiler to cook on. OUTDOORS! We knew it was coming, so froze several empty gallon jugs with ice, and would put them in the fridge to keep it cooler. Neighbors got together and had cook outs with their foods that were going to go bad, etc.

Hang in there- your power is back at least.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TX. My old stomping grounds. What part?
Sorry ya'll had to go thru that. We last lived in Pearland- south of Houston.
When we were still there in Hur. Ike, we lost power for days too. It was warm then though. We used my propane crawfish boiler to cook on. OUTDOORS! We knew it was coming, so froze several empty gallon jugs with ice, and would put them in the fridge to keep it cooler. Neighbors got together and had cook outs with their foods that were going to go bad, etc.

Hang in there- your power is back at least.
Houston here too! It has been a total nightmare. We have power back thankfully, but some still don’t have water or very low water pressure and we are under a city wide boil notice until at least Monday. Every other house has burst pipes and collapsed ceilings. It’s been awful.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I understand, Things are going to get better. We had lots of damage from Ike. Took a while, but insurance came thru.

Overall, TX does a lot of things right. People moving in from other states and trying to make it different is starting to screw things up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love Texas. We come together in times of need and this has proven to be no different. I will stay here for life! Ike took us out too. We thankfully we were spared by Harvey, even though we were in the zone of the controlled reservoir releases. The water came within literally inches of our house, and that was AFTER the hurricane had passed and skies were blue. All have been terrifying ordeals, but our community has held each other up and I am so grateful for that!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I love Texas. We come together in times of need and this has proven to be no different. I will stay here for life! Ike took us out too. We thankfully we were spared by Harvey, even though we were in the zone of the controlled reservoir releases. The water came within literally inches of our house, and that was AFTER the hurricane had passed and skies were blue. All have been terrifying ordeals, but our community has held each other up and I am so grateful for that!
Yep, I had friends that NEVER flooded, get flooded after all the rains and reservoir releases FS.

I love TX too- may move back some day.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I’d appreciate it! It’s a 2010 Touring.
OK, I wasn't able to get the 2010 manual online, the free sites were blocked by my antimalware (PUPs... eck) But based on my 2012 manual there's only four parts to the wiper system, the stalk switch, the motor and integrated parking switch, the electronics control unit the MICU and associated connective wiring.

The simplest and least expensive to fix would be to clean or replace the parking switch in the wiper motor. It's in the cover to the motor and easy to replace. The part, if it's available is less than $30. Check yours for burned spots, try cleaning them and spray some electrical contact cleaner on them. Let dry and reassemble. If that doesn't work or the cover alone is no longer sold separately, the entire motor assembly is around $120. Here's a video to show you how to replace the cover. Good luck! Let us know if that fixes it.

Sorry this problem hit you at such a bad time. Be safe and hope things warm up soon and the power comes back up for everyone in Texas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear that you’re going through the cold front in Texas.

Do the wiper blades sweep the full range and are both blades in sync with each other? If they do, then it’s not likely that they twisted on the shafts they are mounted to.

Without seeing the Pilot, my first guess is the wiper motor was stressed since it was trying to move but was blocked. That may have led to the motor overheating and be the cause of the behavior you are seeing. I haven’t had to replace a wiper motor, but I don’t think it’s too difficult since there is usually good access in its location.
They are fully functional with the exception of not stopping right after I turn them off, the speed doesn’t change when I switch settings, only Normal and fast. And they park in the wrong spot. I can live with it and manually push them down if I have to, but that’s only if I have stopped the car and not if I’m driving and have to use them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I wasn't able to get the 2010 manual online, the free sites were blocked by my antimalware (PUPs... eck) But based on my 2012 manual there's only four parts to the wiper system, the stalk switch, the motor and integrated parking switch, the electronics control unit the MICU and associated connective wiring.

The simplest and least expensive to fix would be to clean or replace the parking switch in the wiper motor. It's in the cover to the motor and easy to replace. The part, if it's available is less than $30. Check yours for burned spots, try cleaning them and spray some electrical contact cleaner on them. Let dry and reassemble. If that doesn't work or the cover alone is no longer sold separately, the entire motor assembly is around $120. Here's a video to show you how to replace the cover. Good luck! Let us know if that fixes it.

Sorry this problem hit you at such a bad time. Be safe and hope things warm up soon and the power comes back up for everyone in Texas.

I really appreciate your help! Its not an outrageous amount of money and hopefully something I can tackle myself if I have to replace it all together. My pilot is very very special to me. My dad bought it for me right before he died. So it’s one piece of him I get to use everyday. I’ve tried very hard to care for my car, especially with it being older and high mileage. I’m so mad at myself that I didn’t check the wiper switch before I turned the car on.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I really appreciate your help! Its not an outrageous amount of money and hopefully something I can tackle myself if I have to replace it all together. My pilot is very very special to me. My dad bought it for me right before he died. So it’s one piece of him I get to use everyday. I’ve tried very hard to care for my car, especially with it being older and high mileage. I’m so mad at myself that I didn’t check the wiper switch before I turned the car on.
Glad to help. Your Pilot is such a nice everyday reminder of your Dad. I hope it takes you many wonderful memory filled miles. No guilt trips, we all do stuff like that. Hopefully cleaning your cover or buying a new cover or whole motor will fix the problem and I'm sure you can handle changing it yourself.

Here's another video to show you how to get the motor out. The CR-V is very similar to the Pilot. If she can do it, you can do it!
Have fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts