Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Today I noticed that our EX-L has a long crack on the windshield. The crack is coming from the top center of the windshield, coming through the attachment area of the rearview mirror. I never replaced a windshield before in any of my previous vehicles. The crack is over 7" long, so I think I have to replace the windshield. After closer inspection I think I found where the impact of the rock was (attached pics).

I won't use our insurance because my deductible is high at the moment (my wife had an accident 2 years ago in our previous CR-V). I would like some input from you all regarding the best route considering:
  • My car is CPO until May and then I have Honda Care for 3 more years after that.
  • Should I go with the dealer in order to avoid any possibility to have a claim denied in the future? very specifically to the concern that I read here about water in the passenger side of the car (I don't have that problem, but I read it happens)
  • If it is okay to not go with the dealer, what is your experience with Safelite or any other similar known companies or local body shops? I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • Do I have to be very specific with these companies regarding the use of an OEM Honda Windshield or it is okay to use aftermarket? (in order to avoid problems with CPO and Honda Care)
  • I have a EX-L without honda sensing and rain sensor.
See the attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not in San Francisco like you. My '16 Pilot front windshield cracked last summer due to a rock impact. I have an EX "plain jane" Pilot. Road hazard glass damage is not covered by Honda's warranty or Honda Care, which I have. Took it to the local dealer thinking I'd get a genuine Honda replacement. Wrong. My dealer farmed out the work to a local windshield replacement company who came into the dealer's shop to do the work and installed a no name glass replacement. Its a POS. Optically disorted among several other issues. Dealer said, sorry go talk to the company that did the install job. Cost was under $200. I got an estimate from another local company that was $225 and they quoted several brand name windshield possibilities. So sorry I did not go with them in the 1st place. Actually considered going back to them and having them replace the job done at the Honda dealer, but haven't. Moral of the story ... pay the price and get a name brand glass if you don't get an OEM Honda windshield. You will be thankfull long after you've forgotten how much it cost.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do neither of you have "comprehensive" coverage on your auto policies?

It's common here in PA to have either a $100 or $250 deductible, sometimes even $0. I have a $250 comprehensive deductible. So if a tree falls on the car while parked (had it happen), $250 to get it fixed. If the windshield gets a chip, it's repaired for free. But if it's cracked (had it happen) and it has to be replaced, $250. If you hit a deer (had it happen), $250 to get it fixed.

Best part - comprehensive claims don't count against you. In other words, your premiums won't go up and your policy will still renew.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not every policy includes glass coverage. It all depends. But you're right, it isn't super expensive to replace a windshield even if you pay out of pocket

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I live in FL and state law here is that if you have comprehensive insurance that glass replacement is covered with zero deductible.
My agent spontaneously told me that it covers the "fancy" windshield in my Pilot and recalibration of the camera which is like another few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the replies, I'll make sure to demand OEM windshield. I called my local dealer (less than 10 minutes from me without traffic) and they told me that when they need windshield replacements, they use a local auto glass repair shop. I'll call the Honda dealer where I bought the car from (20 minutes from me) and ask them if they do the same and if they do, I'll call the local shop that my local dealer recommended.

Also, I did a quick search in Google and Yelp and it looks like that besides the local Safelite shop, there are like 3 more local auto glass shops with great reviews. I'm planning to read more reviews and do more research, choose 3 to 4 local shops and go get quotes. I'll make sure to tell them like 10 times that I want a Honda OEM windshield.

Regarding the insurance..... We have full cover with Geico in our Pilot. Unfortunately in November 2017 my dear wife rear ended another car in front of her with our previous CR-V. She said that when the light turned green, she started going and the car in front of her didn't move and pump! "Funny" thing that the car in front of her didn't get any damage because she hit the trailer hitch ball mount and it was very low speed impact, but the CR-V had over $6K in damages. Our insurance increased a lot and I decided to do $1K deductible instead of $500 in order to lower the payments a bit. I think we have to wait until November 2020, 3 years, for our premium to go lower.

Geico will fix any chip or crack on your windshield that is smaller than a dollar bill, but bigger than that I think the windshield needs to be replaced. Mine goes from the top edge of the windshield and it is longer that a dollar bill. My deductible is too high, I'll pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What I found on my Accord is that a "Honda" windshield was like 700 bucks installed but a name brand like Pilkington I got installed for 225 bucks. It had the special cutout for the collision camera and everything. Just doesn't have the Honda "H" on it. I know there is also cheaper aftermarket that some are wary of. In my case I thought a name brand like Pilkington would be fine to save 500 bucks

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
14 Posts
I had my windshield replaced in my Lexus for crack due to rock impact on the highway, I made it sure they install OEM. I had a $500 deductible from my insurance for a $1,200 windshield so I went for it. My thinking is if I ever sell my car it will be lowballed if a non OEM windshield is installed. Here in STL they have a mobile team that replaces windshields at your location so it's less hassle, try to see if they have that service there. And as always, make sure they replace it with OEM windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will ask for EOM but out of curiosity I'll ask what is the price difference with Pilkington.

How is the installation usually? if the shop is really good, the quality can be close to factory?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot Touring, and took a rock hit from a passing big rig that landed right at the edge of the glass, lower right corner, cracking it halfway across the windshield, diagonally. It was such an eerie popping sound ...
I have $100 deductible on my comprehensive, for which I am grateful - the full cost was $1200! My insurance company farms out windshield replacements to a third party company, and THEY recommended an OEM windshield as they've run into problems previously with aftermarket glass when recalibrating the windshield camera. A mobile team came to my house in the morning to replace the glass; I went to the local Honda dealer that afternoon for the recalibration (took 3.5 hours!). All in all a reasonably painless experience, although it took almost 4 weeks for the replacement glass to arrive after ordering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just went through on my 19 pilot. Caltrans snow plow truck was broadcasting cinder. Took a good one to the windshield. Honda dealer farms windshield out to local company. New OEM glass was 900+. Supposedly need to recalibrate cameras, another 280. Filed claim with caltrans, and they are paying for the whole thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had my Accord done in my driveway with Pilkington glass but otherwise same as OEM. I didn't do any recalibration of the camera but that camera is only for the collision beeper system and I guess Lane departure although I have that deactivated at all times. Haven't noticed any issues with the collision beeper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank you for the replies, I'll make sure to demand OEM windshield. I called my local dealer (less than 10 minutes from me without traffic) and they told me that when they need windshield replacements, they use a local auto glass repair shop. I'll call the Honda dealer where I bought the car from (20 minutes from me) and ask them if they do the same and if they do, I'll call the local shop that my local dealer recommended.

Also, I did a quick search in Google and Yelp and it looks like that besides the local Safelite shop, there are like 3 more local auto glass shops with great reviews. I'm planning to read more reviews and do more research, choose 3 to 4 local shops and go get quotes. I'll make sure to tell them like 10 times that I want a Honda OEM windshield.

Regarding the insurance..... We have full cover with Geico in our Pilot. Unfortunately in November 2017 my dear wife rear ended another car in front of her with our previous CR-V. She said that when the light turned green, she started going and the car in front of her didn't move and pump! "Funny" thing that the car in front of her didn't get any damage because she hit the trailer hitch ball mount and it was very low speed impact, but the CR-V had over $6K in damages. Our insurance increased a lot and I decided to do $1K deductible instead of $500 in order to lower the payments a bit. I think we have to wait until November 2020, 3 years, for our premium to go lower.

Geico will fix any chip or crack on your windshield that is smaller than a dollar bill, but bigger than that I think the windshield needs to be replaced. Mine goes from the top edge of the windshield and it is longer that a dollar bill. My deductible is too high, I'll pay out of pocket.
A bit off topic, but I was under the impression that the period that a claim has an effect on the premiums was 2 years.

That aside, there are insurance plans that have a separate deductible/cost for glass replacement that is usually much cheaper (let's say something like $100), but I guess that depends on the particular plan one has and what that includes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
With that crack being mostly hidden, let it ride. Wait until if/when it becomes annoying to get it fixed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mine was replaced under policy, total cost was just under $1000.00 canadian, and I paid $300.00 deductible. It was not cracked in a line, just a really bad impact. Original Honda acoustic windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A bit off topic, but I was under the impression that the period that a claim has an effect on the premiums was 2 years.

That aside, there are insurance plans that have a separate deductible/cost for glass replacement that is usually much cheaper (let's say something like $100), but I guess that depends on the particular plan one has and what that includes.
A few days before the crack on the windshield, I called Geico to ask them why I still paying so much for my daily driver (Our Pilot is drive by my wife, our family car) and the representative told me that we have to wait 3 years (November 2020) for the premium to go lower and she told me that for now one of the cars will cost more. The Pilot is under my name and I'm driver #1 while my early 2000's 3 series BMW is under my wife's name and she is driver #1. I better keep it that way since the accident was her fault and because of her, the policy premium went high.

I'll call Geico to ask how windshield replacement/repair works with my policy here in California.

Does Pilkington supplies windshields to Honda? wondering what company manufactures Honda windshields.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With aftermarket windshield replacement I noticed distortion on the curved portion on the sides and satelite replaced again at no cost with a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For windshield chips you can fix them for about $20 with a kit from most auto parts stores. For a crack there is probably a YouTube on that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts