Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a big mystery crack in my window. Anyway, ins co. wants to use safelite to repair it. It would be roughly free. Dealer says for them to do it it is 700 for the glass plus labor, which is about what i expected. Oh, and the glass is backordered.

but the thing they also said is that the camera needs to be recalibrated. i can't imagine that they are that sensitive, and when i had the glass in my qx replaced there was no such need. but that's what they say and it costs $290.

anyone replaced their window? I tried searching but couldn't find much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A few windshield replacement threads that might be of some use:

·
Registered
226 Posts
So i have a big mystery crack in my window. Anyway, ins co. wants to use safelite to repair it. It would be roughly free. Dealer says for them to do it it is 700 for the glass plus labor, which is about what i expected. Oh, and the glass is backordered.

but the thing they also said is that the camera needs to be recalibrated. i can't imagine that they are that sensitive, and when i had the glass in my qx replaced there was no such need. but that's what they say and it costs $290.

anyone replaced their window? I tried searching but couldn't find much.
Get the Honda glass, not aftermarket. Might be a special request with your insurance company but they should honor it. As for it being on backorder...did they give you a date? If not, ask the dealer if they can submit a COB (Critical Back Order) request.

I went through the local glass company that my local Honda dealer subs windshield work to. I dealt mostly with the glass company except when they told me the windshield was on a backorder. They could have gotten an aftermarket but I didn't want it. I then spoke to some dealers and learned of a CBO process. Somehow, one of the dealers told me there was about 70 in Honda's inventory. With that info, I made contact with my local dealer where the glass company was getting the glass from and had them submit a CBO. It was initially denied for unknown reasons. I had to press them for a reason and that is when the dealer came back and said they'll have one in a few days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the Honda glass, not aftermarket. Might be a special request with your insurance company but they should honor it. As for it being on backorder...did they give you a date? If not, ask the dealer if they can submit a COB (Critical Back Order) request.
Thanks. Did your dealer give you drama about a need to recalibrate the camera? i find that fishy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks. Did your dealer give you drama about a need to recalibrate the camera? i find that fishy.
So my local Honda dealer doesn't even get involved with windshield replacements. They have a local glass company do it. I had that glass company come and do it in my driveway. Unfortunately, I was not home at the time so I didn't get to see or ask about the process. Maybe they did something with the camera, maybe not. Either way, it never went to the dealer after the windshield was replaced. And my wife hasn't mentioned anything to me about any weirdness or issues so I'm assuming it's OK. And she uses all of the Sensing features on a daily basis except for ACC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few windshield replacement threads that might be of some use:

·
Registered
171 Posts
The local dealer said they don't do windshield replacements and our insurance company referred us to Safelite. They did a good job but would not do the replacement at my home like they normally do because we have the Touring with the cameras. They said they could only do the work at their shop since that is where they have their calibration equipment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local dealer said they don't do windshield replacements and our insurance company referred us to Safelite. They did a good job but would not do the replacement at my home like they normally do because we have the Touring with the cameras. They said they could only do the work at their shop since that is where they have their calibration equipment.
I just heard the same thing today. Thanks. Safelight told us they use the same glass as honda.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not exactly apples-to-apples here but in case it is useful...

I've been through this situation twice with my Accord. After spending time at DriveAccord.net, I learned that I would need OEM glass due to the sensors, but I don't recall Honda issuing guidance on whether the sensors would need to be recalibrated. I think it was just assumed, and I didn't challenge it because I figured my kids might be driving the car someday, or I might sell it, and I didn't want to cut corners. In both cases the cost was around $1000-1200 and insurance approved the claim without hassle.

The first time I went through the Honda dealer repair shop. As others have said, the dealer contracted the glass part out but did the recalibration. The second time, the whole thing was done through Safelite.

Having been through this twice, I'm glad that our Pilot does not have sensing and I can use an aftermarket windshield for someday when that inevitably needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are on our 3rd windshield on our 2016 Elite. Used the Honda glass each time (hove OEM replacement coverage). Our insurance company told us we needed to calibrate after the replacement and paid for that as well as the windshield. We had to us a local company to replace the glass but they got it from the local Honda dealer. The glass company told us we would not need to calibrate it. I can tell you on this last replacement we had the glass installed in the morning and had a late afternoon appointment for the calibration, so I went home between the appointments. On my way to Honda for the calibration I had the lane keep assist on and it was crazy, bouncing all over. It had about zero tolerance for the center, just kept going left and right. When I got to the dealer I told him it for sure needed the calibration. He said yes sometimes that happens, and that is why they say to get it done. Took less than 45 min. and our insurance company had a phone number for them to call to get direct payment for it. All went great for me and I am glad I had it done (cost me nothing extra).

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are on our 3rd windshield on our 2016 Elite. Used the Honda glass each time (hove OEM replacement coverage). Our insurance company told us we needed to calibrate after the replacement and paid for that as well as the windshield. We had to us a local company to replace the glass but they got it from the local Honda dealer. The glass company told us we would not need to calibrate it. I can tell you on this last replacement we had the glass installed in the morning and had a late afternoon appointment for the calibration, so I went home between the appointments. On my way to Honda for the calibration I had the lane keep assist on and it was crazy, bouncing all over. It had about zero tolerance for the center, just kept going left and right. When I got to the dealer I told him it for sure needed the calibration. He said yes sometimes that happens, and that is why they say to get it done. Took less than 45 min. and our insurance company had a phone number for them to call to get direct payment for it. All went great for me and I am glad I had it done (cost me nothing extra).
One thing I like about living in Arizona is that windshield replacements are free under comprehensive coverage on insurance policies. I had to have the windshield replaced on my former 2001 Ford Explorer. It was done as a windshield replacement company. I made sure they used a Ford OEM windshield. I had a chip repaired on my 2012 Pilot (no crack large enough to have to replace the windshield.). It was done by a windshield company in my garage at home. I paid nothing for the repair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What Safelite told us was that the "free" glass was the same as the OEM glass, just without the Honda sticker basically. At first i was doubtful, but then they called back to tell us it is backordered...just like the OEM glass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, turns out they replaced it with OEM glass (for free), honda logo and all. Had to wait a week b/c it was on backorder. Oh, and yeah they had to recal the camera. took a little bit but it's all good now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts