Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 Honda Pilot back in the summer. We are now in December, and the days are starting to get cold. I noticed that once the temperatures got around or below 45 degrees, a tapping/cracking noise became apparent when driving on bumpy terrain. At first, it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side front pillar where it meets the windshield. I actually took off a part of the trim and didn't find any loose pieces in there.

As the temperatures got colder, the tapping/cracking became more frequent and louder, and not only was the sound coming from the driver's side pillar, it started to develop along the top horizontal of the windshield, and also at the bottom of the windshield. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from underneath the plastic dashboard. It legitimately sounds like eventually if I hit a big enough bump the windshield will crack.

We had a couple cold days in the fall where the temps dropped, and the sound became apparent, then the next couple days were warm (above 50 degrees) and the sound went away. Now we are getting cold days every day, and the sound remains apparent every day. Have any of you experienced this and do you have any ideas as to what's causing it and/or how it is fixed?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Glass. plastics and various metasl expand at different rates. Sounds like something is getting a touch tight somewhere and making a noise from the motion of the vehicle. A fix could be simple or very complex depending on where you locate the culprit. It may also be something to just live with. Houses often do the same thing. You will hear a little creaking or popping noise when the temps change dramatically.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Has the infotainment system had the updated connectors yet? Your description sounds like the symptoms of it.
It is the 2019-2020's that had the infotainment system problems not the 2016's. The OP or someone is going to have to figure out where the sound is coming from so before they can figure out if it physical, electrical or mechanical.

One thing the OP didn't mention is what the history of the vehicle was before they bought it. The previous history could well have something to do with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We had a windshield replaced in a 2017 and had the exact same problem. What fixed it for us was going around the outside black trim on the windshield and pushing in on it. On the bottom center cowl, with the hood up, I pushed up and in and heard a slight pop noise. After that the noise went away. Something was not seated properly when they replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a windshield replaced in a 2017 and had the exact same problem. What fixed it for us was going around the outside black trim on the windshield and pushing in on it. On the bottom center cowl, with the hood up, I pushed up and in and heard a slight pop noise. After that the noise went away. Something was not seated properly when they replace it.
Interesting. I'm 99% sure the sound is affected by the temperature outside. I'll open the hood and push down on the plastic nearest the bottom of the windshield. It's so weird. Sometimes it sounds like the sound comes from the window pillar, other times it sounds like its coming from under the dashboard in front of the wheel, other times it sounds like its coming from the top of the windshield, and sometimes bottom of windshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the 2019-2020's that had the infotainment system problems not the 2016's. The OP or someone is going to have to figure out where the sound is coming from so before they can figure out if it physical, electrical or mechanical.

One thing the OP didn't mention is what the history of the vehicle was before they bought it. The previous history could well have something to do with it.
I bought the car used from a used car dealership last summer. The carfax said 1 owner and no reported accidents. Like I mentioned, in the warm temps there wasn't any sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting. I'm 99% sure the sound is affected by the temperature outside. I'll open the hood and push down on the plastic nearest the bottom of the windshield. It's so weird. Sometimes it sounds like the sound comes from the window pillar, other times it sounds like its coming from under the dashboard in front of the wheel, other times it sounds like its coming from the top of the windshield, and sometimes bottom of windshield.
Yes it was exactly the same. Only made the noise when it was cold and hitting bumps or potholes. It was a squeaky rattling noise. When it was warm out it didn’t make the noise. Maybe check your windshield and see if it’s OEM Honda glass. If not it’s been replaced. Sounds like something is going on with the windshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was exactly the same. Only made the noise when it was cold and hitting bumps or potholes. It was a squeaky rattling noise. When it was warm out it didn’t make the noise. Maybe check your windshield and see if it’s OEM Honda glass. If not it’s been replaced. Sounds like something is going on with the windshield.
Smarkle, i pushed down on the cowl under the hood as well as around the bottom base of the windshield. I didn't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary. Do you know of any youtube videos or links that demonstrate what you're describing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts