Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting...
I have a 04 Honda Pilot and i was wondering why is my window still working with out the key even when i have my door open
Can that drain the battery or cause a fire in my Honda?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Which window(s) exhibit this behavior?

Any change in behavior if you wait a minute after removing the key from the ignition?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Just curious if you open the door before or after taking the key out?

Does either way make any difference?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
IIRC, it works for a short time, then not? Does it work after, say 5+ minutes?

I think it's to roll up the windows after parking when you forget, w/o having to key on again to do it? This could be FOS though LOL

Reactions: Joe Al

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
From page 94 of the 2006 owner's manual:

The windows will operate for up to
10 minutes after you turn off the
ignition switch. Opening either front
door cancels this function.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Which window(s) exhibit this behavior?

Any change in behavior if you wait a minute after removing the key from the ignition?
Only the windows on the drivers side work front and back i leave the car overnight and next day as soon as i open the door i click power window buttons and they still work
This started happening about a month ago
Could that cause the battery to drain
Also the little light on the power window controls stay on. I have to lock it to turn them off but the drivers side always on
Im really concer about this since its my first suv/vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IIRC, it works for a short time, then not? Does it work after, say 5+ minutes?

I think it's to roll up the windows after parking when you forget, w/o having to key on again to do it? This could be FOS though LOL
I thought that after opening the door would cut the energy but it does not
Its been about a month ago since the problem started

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Do the windows on the passenger side work when the Pilot’s engine is running?

Was there any event that you can think of that happened around the same time as the window issue?

What happens if you sit in the Pilot for 11 minutes after removing the key from the ignition. Don’t move any windows or lock/unlock any doors during those 11 minutes. Do the windows still operate after waiting 11 minutes? Make sure at least one window is open before you remove the key from the ignition if the temperature outside is warm.

There is potential for the battery to get drained since it sounds like one of the circuits remains energized after you turn the Pilot off. Depending on what the issue is there is a possibility it could lead to an electrical related fire. It’s probably best to experiment and pinpoint the cause of the problem . . . that’s why we’re asking lots of questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the windows on the passenger side work when the Pilot’s engine is running?

Was there any event that you can think of that happened around the same time as the window issue?

What happens if you sit in the Pilot for 11 minutes after removing the key from the ignition. Don’t move any windows or lock/unlock any doors during those 11 minutes. Do the windows still operate after waiting 11 minutes? Make sure at least one window is open before you remove the key from the ignition if the temperature outside is warm.

There is potential for the battery to get drained since it sounds like one of the circuits remains energized after you turn the Pilot off. Depending on what the issue is there is a possibility it could lead to an electrical related fire. It’s probably best to experiment and pinpoint the cause of the problem . . . that’s why we’re asking lots of questions.
All windows work perfectly when engine is running, even after i turn off the engine but after a couple of minutes like you said the passenger windows stop working and i think thats normal except for the drivers window still works for as long as the engine is off
And i dont recall any incident that might of messed with the power window controls.
i was thinking maybe theres a cable ripped that is making contact with other cable. But since the battery is still working i doubt it

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I'm thinking the (driver side?) door you are leaving open might have a bad door switch. When you open the door, do the interior roof lights come on, how about the one in the door?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
I'm thinking the (driver side?) door you are leaving open might have a bad door switch. When you open the door, do the interior roof lights come on, how about the one in the door?
Good thinking. That could very well explain it. Worth checking.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I initially was thinking along those lines too, but I don’t think it explains the behavior of both driver side windows (OP had mentioned both driver side windows can be opened/closed long after the Pilot is turned off). I am swaying towards the driver multiplex control unit, but need to look at the schematic to see if that is the common point for those two windows and exclusive of the passenger side.

Reactions: Joe Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the lights work fine everything
I was surprissed that when ipressed the control buttons at the same time only the left side windows went down

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I initially was thinking along those lines too, but I don’t think it explains the behavior of both driver side windows (OP had mentioned both driver side windows can be opened/closed long after the Pilot is turned off). I am swaying towards the driver multiplex control unit, but need to look at the schematic to see if that is the common point for those two windows and exclusive of the passenger side.
Could this be a major problem or you think its not that big of a deal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts