Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get the front two windows tinted. Anyone have any idea what would be the closest match to the factory style?

·
Registered
423 Posts
There have been many threads on this before. Any window tint company can match if you ask them to. They can only match it however, if the color is legal in your state.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Those "mirror" like tints...

Has anyone attempted one of the mirror type tints? Since I'm getting a Sandstone Pilot there is a place here that does a golden mirror-like tint that is gorgeous on cars this color. Since the windows are already tinted to a certain extent I was just curious if this might mess anything up.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Those "mirror" like tints...

gymeni said:
Has anyone attempted one of the mirror type tints? Since I'm getting a Sandstone Pilot there is a place here that does a golden mirror-like tint that is gorgeous on cars this color. Since the windows are already tinted to a certain extent I was just curious if this might mess anything up.
Check your local laws! In some states the mirror tints are illegal.

:8:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Re: Those "mirror" like tints...

colorider said:
Check your local laws! In some states the mirror tints are illegal.

Yeah, one of my coworkers has a gold Hyundai with the gold mirror tint and it looks awesome. I just called the place where she had it done and asked if mirror tinting was illegal in Florida and they said yes. I started to ask why, then, did they do hers but she had it done a little over a year ago and it might have been ok to do it back then. DARN, I really like that look! :(

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is it illegal here? I see it all the time. Ask the Florida cop on the site here, he will tell you. Every Lexus RX has mirror tint on it standard.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
How is it illegal here? I see it all the time. Ask the Florida cop on the site here, he will tell you. Every Lexus RX has mirror tint on it standard.
Somewhere is alink to a site that lists the laws for each state.
I think it is one of the window film supply companies.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Well, just because people get it (and the tinting businesses do it for them) doesn't make it right. :)

I just called the State of Florida Department of Motor Vehicles and was told: "anything REFLECTIVE is illegal in the state of Florida, including the new rainbow-like, irridescent tints". Guess that pretty much chalks it up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am glad they don't waste time pulling over people for such things seeing how I had it on my two other cars prior to this one. Not the complete mirror but a lighter version of it. Like I said, the Lexus has factory reflective tint which comes standard on those cars. Oh well, back to the 20% black.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
We can check with FLPilot, but it's possible that illegal window tint is not on of the infractions that a person can be pulled over for - but MAY be cited for if pulled over for some thing else.

·
Registered
160 Posts

gymeni said:
most SUV tint laws state that the back windows can be blacked out if you want, meaning as dark as you want. And most laws state that no darker than 35% on the front two windows. But, here is my experience with those Mirror type tints. Yes they do look cool, and to me they tend to be harder to see into the car from outside. But I had a truck with a factory tinted sliding window in the back, and since my truck was silver I opted for the mirror type, ie titanium tinting all around. I went over the stock smoke tint in the back. This was a bad thing, I think because its mirrored, I could'nt see out at night because of some bad reflections. If oncoming traffic headlights came into my truck, forget about looking through the tint. But if you have a LX, should not be a problem since there is no tinting on the back. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

gymeni said:
Yeah, one of my coworkers has a gold Hyundai with the gold mirror tint and it looks awesome. I just called the place where she had it done and asked if mirror tinting was illegal in Florida and they said yes. I started to ask why, then, did they do hers but she had it done a little over a year ago and it might have been ok to do it back then. DARN, I really like that look! :(
Hyundai....awesome....this must be the very first time those two words were ever used in a same sentence :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Florida Tint Laws

Hello everyone, sorry for not being around, but as I was personally asked to about this, I made sure to research and post.

In Florida it actually is illegal to have reflective tint (mirror) which hinders the ability for an officer to see inside your vehicle. Although the law does not state "No mirror tint" you will see below that it says that you can not make your windows nontransparent. This is a violation that I can stop someone for solely and cite, but it is not enforced much. This ticket is basically known as an attitude ticket with most police officers.

316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.--A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance , except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Thanks

Thanks FLPilot for clearing the muddy water a bit on this!!

:)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Yes thank you...as long as you can see me, it is all good.
Yes it is ;) (wink)

Okay, I'll stop being bad now........:22:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts